Mesopotamia Map

Louis XXIV

Le Roi Soleil
Since I never bought the first map pack, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Does anyone know the size (i.e., standard, small, etc) and the geographic area it covers (like Greece to Iran/Turkey to Iran, etc.). I'm probably going to try and make a Mesopotamia map myself and I'm curious why Firaxis did.

Also, does anyone know how big small, standard, and large maps are?

Yeah, but it was released through D2D, not the Deluxe Edition on Steam, so I didn't get it. Plus, I like making maps, so I feel like making one.

Cool. Interesting angle. I suppose I could count the tiles, but anyone know what size generally?

Also, if anyone knows the general question of duel, tiny, small, standard, large, huge map sizes are, that would be great.

So it's a standard size map (yes counted them).

I've played the map, it's interesting but the borders make the map feel sort of awkward, you expect the map to continue, but it ends. It doesn't help that the Earth maps are a bit better regardding Asia, Mesopotamia and specially the Mediterrenean.

The Americas map however it's loads of fun, being considerably much better than the Americas from the Earth map.

Scale of the map. The tile between them would be disproportionately large. Look at any small world map in a game. They'll often connect Spain and Africa too.

Isn't Istanbul on both sides of the strait? How do you represent that in the game alternatively?

Seen this (indirectly) when two ocean tiles are "Locked" in a linear coastal area longer than two hexes. Visually, it looks like an isthmus, but that connection isn't passable by naval units since it isn't a valid tile.
That's where my 12 directions solution model for 1upT below could become handy if the ZoC algorithm is altered to allow such movements.

I'm playing a game on this map now. I noticed when looking at it before that it had a lot of forest, so I thought it might be fun to play as the Iroquois. So far, so good! I spawned on the Northwest corner basically alone except for a few city states. I moved across that little isthmus to the East and founded a couple cities there. I decided to capture Wellington because it was right on that little isthmus and I needed it as a gateway city. Now I've spread my religion to the other 2 city states in the Northwest land mass (who are also my allies) as well as to the 3 main cities of the Netherlands, who are sort of camped in and around the area around that desert in the upper left of the map. I'm considering conquering them because I'm pretty sure I can, but it might actually be better to keep them as an ally since they have my religion and they're really the only Civ close enough to trade with. Diplomacy is going well, I got the Forbidden Palace, Ghandi is the host right now but I was #2 and I think I can get to #1 soon. Anyway, fun game so far.

I like the Mesopotamia map; it's a tough map though. There are no natural wonders (so a little less total happiness is available) and the strategic resources are kind of sparse. There is way more land than is typical for a standard sized map, so unless you add extra civs when you setup the game there will be a *lot* of barbarians.

I just finished a game with the Celts on a Mesopotamia map. I started way up at the top center. I founded the first religion mainly from killing the raging barbs with my Pictish warriors. I easily won a science victory; ended up with 16 cities (half of them were puppets) and about 100 happiness. I want to try the Aztecs now, and then maybe India...

To really do it justice, sea units really need to pass through the strait. The strategic ramifications of being able to pass through cargo ships, provided you control the strait on both sides, is immense.

Top Bottom