Middle-Earth:Lord of the Mods (XI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PCH: I have no problems with Scientific and Industrial, but two things to bear in mind: 1.) How helpful would it be for a 1-4 city civilization? 2.) The only other civ that has the Industrial attribute is the Dwarves.
#1 here is important. the bonus of being industrious is largely the fast workers. Thus it would save Isengard 1 or 2 workers for those 1-4 cities. It may sound fitting, but from a gameplay point of view it's peanuts. Besides, I'm not really fond of the names of the traits, and proposed to PCH long ago that we could rename them. So we could rename Religious to "Oldknowledgy", fitting elves and Saruman. ;)
Besides, the "religious" trait (however we spell it ;) ) would give Isengard easier border expansion, something sorely needed for this particular civ.

Regarding the discussion on the colour of the southrons I think the quote about "black faces, white eyes and red tounges" say it all. But regardless what the books say we have to work with what we have. No one is gonna create 15 new southron units for us...

Foehammer: Also, Hobbits should be flat out deadly with bows and missile weapons and military units should be given ranged attack: short range compared to Men and Elves, but within that range they practically never miss.
Unless you propose that some archer units should have a bombard range of 2 tiles (which is ridiculous) this isn't possible to achieve. But PCH proposed good stats for the 0 range bombards. I hope that's satisfying. ;)

The idea to give invisibility to hobbit units is very interesting, but have some drawbacks that would have to be weeded out first. If we make either the offensive or the archer lines invisible the Shire would be a bad ass attacker, which is not at all fitting. If we made the defensive units invisible the cities would look empty when they aren't, also strange. Besides these would be deadly pillagers...
That leaves settlers, workers and scouts among the land units (we aren't giving them invisible planes, are we? ;) ). PCH talked about the danger with invisible settlers. I propose making the workers and the scout(s?) invisible. Not gamebreaking, but nice perks. :)

Swarthy does not imply blackskinned, unless I'm misinformed, but rather an "Arab" complexion.

There however were blackskinned people down in Far Harad; let me quote from Lalaith again:

During the War of the Ring, for the first time negroid men of Far Harad were seen in Gondor. These black-skinned individuals, obviously unlike the Swarthy Men, appeared to the irritated Dúnedain "like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues", (RK) and were accordingly - though erroneously - called "troll-men". (RK)

Originally posted by mrtn
The idea to give invisibility to hobbit units is very interesting, but have some drawbacks that would have to be weeded out first. If we make either the offensive or the archer lines invisible the Shire would be a bad ass attacker, which is not at all fitting. If we made the defensive units invisible the cities would look empty when they aren't, also strange. Besides these would be deadly pillagers...
Does it matter that they would be 'bad ass attackers'? When hobbits get mad...

Just set their aggression to 1 and that shouldn't really be a problem.

Originally posted by the mormegil

Of course it would be a problem.
When hobbits get mad they shuck stones at you, they don't storm your city walls with invisible archers...:crazyeye:

I agree with most of what mrtn says. The Religious trait actually would have much more of a benefit for Isengard than Industrial. Lets think about it:
Industrial will give you better workers. That is all the trait does. For such a small civ that is useless. Religious gives you cheaper culture buildings, this doesn’t really fit Isengard. Why should Saruman be able to build cheaper temples?

Religious is useful, but unfitting.
Industrial is useless, but fitting.

I still don’t care one way or another. Tolkien said in a letter he wanted to keep modern religion out of his works. Should we rename the Religious trait as mrtn says? Or would that make the Valar too diminutive?

Mrtn:
The invisibility of scouts\workers looks like the way to go, a nice bonus. It’s sort of like Mordor’s ability to sacrifice units, just a small but very useful bonus that will help out. We leave it for all ages. :goodjob:
I suggest making settlers invisible for either the first two era’s or the last two.

The Last Conformist : I believe Mrtn was pointing out this in my little stash of quotes:
The Return of the King
"[...] had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand. Southrons in scarlet, and out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues."

Can’t tell if you noticed that or were replying to Mithadan and Foehammers discussion on swarthy-men ;). From the quote I just gave, it seems that “Harad” was regarded as both the Easterlings and Southrons. Why would they call it “Far Harad” in capitals, as if it were a proper name? Why the reference to the troll men evertime he mentions this race? Certainly complicated. :undecide:
I also remember something in the Silmarillion mentioning how they’re skin was “Burnt from the intense sun”.
the mormegil-

When hobbits get mad.... they can kill some second string goblins. Sam had the king of magic rings, Númenor-styled blade, and a ‘courage generating’ vial. Even with all that he couldn’t take out a wounded Orc to free Frodo. ;)

Of course it is a problem :)! Why should they be a better war machine than Mordor? The Hobbits were nothing special militarily, period. I already explained in detail about the balance of a booming civilizations having invisible units. Do you guys realize I could send in 4 hobbits to Mordor, and capture all their workers and disband them? It would be impossible to kill a hobbit if he didn’t die attacking you.

Not really seeing any arguments against it, just opinions. So I’ll just suffice to say I disagree, invisible military units would be unbalancing, incorrect, and over-serve their purpose (in realism and gameplay).

The Elves have good weapons.
Do the Hobbits’ have blades that are more powerful than the Mens’? Not at all.
Or armor better than the Dwarves? Nope, not that either.

Men are stronger in body than Orcs.
Do the Hobbits have strength in stature, such as the Men? No, the are quite diminutive in that aspect.

Elves are renowned as bowmen.
Are the Hobbits able to shoot a fell beast (for example) with their excellent eyesight? Never.

You get the point here. As much as I like Hobbits, they are nothing special in any of those things. They are relatively harder to see, but Tolkien says himself they could not do that as accurately as the Elves, and that is probably their best physical talent. If you wanted to give Hobbit combat units the invisible flag, you would have to lower their stats drastically. Besides this, we have no proof they bothered with that type of warfare. They used it to escape, not to jump out and ambush.
In the one battle of an army of Hobbits against an army of Orcs, it was an outright battle, not some guerrilla warfare.

Well when I said 'When hobbits get mad...' it ws supposed to be a joke, but nevermind.

I'm just worried about them being too weak. It looks as though they won't even make it to the 3rd Age.

Religion trait - I can see what you mean about it making more sense gameplay wise. I like Mrtn's idea about renaming it to give it a more Saruman friendly feel. So, I think you 2 have convinced me to change my vote from Industrial to Religious (but with a better name of course :)). If we really wanted to show the Industrious nature of Isengard we could give them an improved worker, but then that might just be stupid.

I'm cool with renaming the Religious trait. The Valar don't have to be sidelined thereby. Of course we'll have to think of something better than "Oldknowledgy"! Maybe something in Elvish? :satan: :lol:

Who else would get the trait, tho?

"Lore" is a good word, but I'm not sure how to turn it into an adjective.

Goeienacht! :sleep:

Originally posted by the mormegil
'Those nasty Elveses'.

Knowledge Arcana :rolleyes:...?
Can we use "Arcane"?
The Scientific and Arcane Isengarders... :hmm:

Any more suggestions?

I agree that Lore sounds good but needs an adjective. Arcane would be OK IMO, if no one can think of anything else.

Originally posted by PCHighway
I agree with most of what mrtn says. The Religious trait actually would have much more of a benefit for Isengard than Industrial. Lets think about it:
Industrial will give you better workers. That is all the trait does. For such a small civ that is useless. Religious gives you cheaper culture buildings, this doesn’t really fit Isengard. Why should Saruman be able to build cheaper temples?

Religious is useful, but unfitting.
Industrial is useless, but fitting.
Industrial gives cheaper Industrial buildings, doesn't it? That could be a significant and fitting boost for Isengard. It's also relevant wrt Wonder GAs.

The Last Conformist : I believe Mrtn was pointing out this in my little stash of quotes:
The Return of the King
"[...] had flung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand. Southrons in scarlet, and out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues."

Can’t tell if you noticed that or were replying to Mithadan and Foehammers discussion on swarthy-men ;). From the quote I just gave, it seems that “Harad” was regarded as both the Easterlings and Southrons. Why would they call it “Far Harad” in capitals, as if it were a proper name? Why the reference to the troll men evertime he mentions this race? Certainly complicated. :undecide:
I also remember something in the Silmarillion mentioning how they’re skin was “Burnt from the intense sun”.

I was drunk when I posted that ... I think it was supposed to be directed at Greyman and Glamdring.

Harad is simply the Sindarin word for "South", and certainly doesn't applies to Easterlings (similarly, Rhûn is simply "East"). The terms "Near" and "Far Harad" are analoguous to our "Near East" and "Far East", essentially. They capitalize it as a proper name because it is a proper name. As can be seen on the map (again, from Lalaith's site) below, they're simply different regions of Harad at different distances from Gondor:

That'saboy, TLC, post when you're drunk! I was gonna correct you on the Harad/Far Harad/Easterling thing, but I didn't bother. ;)

Arcane could work, but it sort of overlaps the "Scientific" semantic range, I think (Lore does too, actually). I would be happier with "Arcane" if we renamed "Scientific" to something else, too. Not sure what. We don't have to stay within the same idea as science, though, we could think about the effects themselves and come up with a totally different, though fitting, name...

...could, maybe, possibly...but as yet (more like as usual!) nothing actual from me.

Wait I got it! wait for it....

What is we named Religous...

Magical!!!

Yes, it is possibly a bad idea but ah well!

*Kicks self before anyone else can*

Originally posted by Mithadan
I was gonna correct you on the Harad/Far Harad/Easterling thing, but I didn't bother. ;)
Correct me on what, more exactly?

Edit: Is it, BTW, even possible to change civ trait names? And assuming it is, is it a good idea to thus confuse players?

In any case, no tolkien civ really was relegous trait-like IMHO. Arcane sounds too (A)D&D to me. I know that im not helping without offering a better suggestion, but I dunno anything else.
I just looked in the C3C editor and I didnt find a place to edit the trait names, but then again I am known for my not-so-1337 searching skills...

edit: Welcome Foehammer!

It's pointless to rename the traits in the editor, but TLC is right in that that isn't possible. The important thing is to rename them in the pedia.
This mod will change the game so much that a new player will have to start the game by browsing through the pedia. Adding one thing more he have to look up is no big deal, IMO.
TLC, don't worry about the drunk postings, I've been there too. :D

About renaming the traits, this is something I wrote September 8. I haven't touched it since, but I'll post it here now:
I thought about the civ traits. The Expansionist and Religious Hobbits just sounds silly, and doesn't have that ME feel. I then started to think about renaming the traits. To do that I started by thinking about what was hardcoded in the Trait, and what was just added in the Editor (like the cheaper temples for Religious civs).
These are the "Boiled Down" traits:
Religious: easy Government changes
Scientific: Free techs at era change
Commercial: lower corruption and extra trade in city
Militaristic: Higher chance to get a Great Leader
Expansionist: No barbarians in goody huts
Industrious: faster workers and extra production in city

"lower corruption and extra trade in city" this sounds like something that dwarves and elves would have, doesn't it? So, I thought that the name Uncorrupted would fit.
"No barbarians in goody huts" Assuming that the barbs are evil (orcs and trolls?) this would be a evil trait, thus Corrupted (by the shadow, so to speak). This would be the "Evil Twin"-trait to Uncorrupted.
"Higher chance to get a Great Leader" I have a feeling that most of the "Great Leaders" of Middle Earth were either men or elves, so this would be a "good" trait. It would be the same though the name could be changed to something with a more "fantastic" feel, so what about Valiant?
"Free techs at era change" This would be roughly the same, but a name change would be nice here too. This seems like a typical Elven trait, so something alluding to smart elves would be nice. Otherwise we'd just have to call it Scientific.
"faster workers and extra production in city" Also this would be roughly the same, and may apply to both dwarves, men and evil. A name change is highly needed though, I thought that Hardworking might fit the bill?
"easy Government changes" This is the hard one, and the reason I started to think about this in the first place. There's no need for a "Religious" trait in Middle Earth, as most people (especially the elves) know that the gods live to the west. The Numenoreans seems like the onle ones building large temples and stuff, and they where mislead by Sauron for most of that time. This could be a hobbit trait, as the benefit is to be free of Anarchy, something that seems to fit the sturdy hobbits. The name is a problem though, maybe Adaptable or Sturdy?

The buildings and wonders would have to be adapted to these new traits, but that would not be an unsurmountable problem, IMO.
I'm :wallbash: that I didn't post this before we decided the civ traits for the civs, but anyway...

I like those ideas, except for corrupt (Hobbits are corrupt?). But I think sturdy/adaptable and scientific could do with better names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom