[MOD] RLD now stands for 'Ridiculously Long Development time'

A couple rather serious bugs were found in the prerelease modular version, and to save anyone else being run over by marauding stacks of Ice Elementals I have delayed the release until I know I have them sorted. :)

On the Scions: As soon as I figure out how to give a situational resistance boost via Python the Scions will no longer be fully immune to Bind Corpse. They will keep their immunity to Faith, most likely, although if I can make it work I will set it up so that the Scions are only immune to Faith if they are non-evil. Also, Ashen Veil units are eventually going to be affected by Faith, and that will affect the Scions as well.

On the Amurites: Requiring the School of Govannon is a fairly serious limitation, I will agree. It is in part an intentional one; after all, the Amurites are getting a very decent melee unit out of their favored tech tree. If they go Runes of Kilmorph for the Mines of Gal-Dur, this lets them get strength 7 spellcasting melee units without even having to tech Bronze Working. Not to mention if you have the gold to afford promoting Apprentices to Spellswords, they only cost 90 hammers and get all kinds of free magic promotions.

That said, I agree that 180 hammers is a lot to enable a unit, and I could see switching the requirement back to Barracks. That would also prevent you from completely skipping Bronze Working.

Just be glad this isn't the original version of my Amurite changes, where Schools of Govannon couldn't be built AT ALL until Govannon himself had been trained. XD ...That said, in that version they gave every unit produced in the city the tier 1 spell for every mana source you had, making them all kinds of wonky. :)

Actually, now that I know about the SoG requirement and can plan for it, it's really not so bad. In fact, I think spellswords may be overpowered. I just steamrolled Berri Bawl with hordes of CRIII spellswords that I insta-upgraded from 12+ XP apprentices. The power wasn't from the magic, it was from the XP. Maybe put a level req. on apprentice upgrades (so you have to use some promos on magic or strength)?

On the Amurites: Requiring the School of Govannon is a fairly serious limitation, I will agree. It is in part an intentional one; after all, the Amurites are getting a very decent melee unit out of their favored tech tree. If they go Runes of Kilmorph for the Mines of Gal-Dur, this lets them get strength 7 spellcasting melee units without even having to tech Bronze Working.

I thought it was a prerequisite to have Iron Working (the tech after Smelting, which normally reveals iron) to actually obtain iron weapons. I might be wrong though :D

I thought it was a prerequisite to have Iron Working (the tech after Smelting, which normally reveals iron) to actually obtain iron weapons. I might be wrong though :D
Actually, I just looked through the xml - as long as you have some way of getting the bonus you're good to go with Iron Weapons. Normally that means Iron Working but the Mines of Gal-Dur just gives you the bonus directly.

Yeah, the major advantage of the Mines of Gal-Dur is free Iron Weapons without the tech.

Ouch, didn't occur to me that you could use the free XP from Apprentices to promote non-magic promotions post-upgrade. On the one hand, the easy fix would be to put a level requirement on upgrading. On the other hand, that would make Spellswords impossible to build directly, which would be a rather severe limitation.

What I might unfortunately end up having to do is handle Apprentice to Spellsword upgrading via a spell so that Spellswords can be built normally but have a level requirement to upgrade.

Well, realise that with the proper techs/buildings starting units with hordes of XP isn't difficult.

Theology-Apprenticeship/Caste System-Conquest-Form of the Titan-Command Post.
That's 10 xp right there.

I really dig your Amurites changes. Spellswords are THE one thing the amurites really needed imho, a decent fighter down the arcane line :D

TBH I don't like the idea of them getting their champions on a totally different line.

Aaaand 1.2 is out. Sorry about the long wait, but trust me it was worth it to fix some of the nasty bugs that cropped up (4/0 Axemen are of... questionable utility. :) ).

Make sure you don't try to install the new version on top of the old one; it will cause all kinds of not-working-ness. Because I switched to modular XML, this version needs a completely fresh install.

Aaaand 1.2 is out. Sorry about the long wait, but trust me it was worth it to fix some of the nasty bugs that cropped up (4/0 Axemen are of... questionable utility. :) ).

Make sure you don't try to install the new version on top of the old one; it will cause all kinds of not-working-ness. Because I switched to modular XML, this version needs a completely fresh install.

Righteous, man! :goodjob:

Now I very possibly may have messed up installation or somthing but World Builder doesn't seem to proform properly with this module.

Can you be more specific? Is it not loading at all, are you getting graphical glitches, etc?

The usual causes I've found for worldbuilder issues are A)Two copies of the same item in the XML or B)Not using textkeys. Generally, a single word rather than a txtkey is fine... Two or more causes issues.

Basically, Warrior can be used rather than TEXTKEY_UNIT_WARRIOR, but City Raider I can NOT be used in place of it's txtkey.

The usual causes I've found for worldbuilder issues are A)Two copies of the same item in the XML or B)Not using textkeys. Generally, a single word rather than a txtkey is fine... Two or more causes issues.

Basically, Warrior can be used rather than TEXTKEY_UNIT_WARRIOR, but City Raider I can NOT be used in place of it's txtkey.

I'm absolutely fanatical about using TXT_KEYs for everything, so I know it's not that. :) Duplicate copies... possible? Could be something related to modular. I'm not noticing any world builder issues on my side, but I haven't tested everything. Kind of hard to go off of "worldbuilder is broken", doesn't really give me much to work with. :)

Kind of hard to go off of "worldbuilder is broken", doesn't really give me much to work with. :)

Maybe this is somewhat more helpful: Base FF and RLD 1.1 are/were working just fine for me under Win7 x64, but 1.2 is crashing consistently after turn 2. Entering worldbuilder is possible, but no editing (clicking on one of the editing buttons is not changing the mouse pointer into editing mode). After leaving WB, some remnants of the menu are sticking around in the interface.

No weird behavior so far under WinXP x86 using 1.2 :)

Ah, now THAT is helpful. RogueThunder is having the exact same problem. I am ~very~ glad to know that it is in fact Win7 that is the issue. So far we seem to have narrowed it down to something in PromotionInfos or UnitInfos, but can't get any more specific... Very random things seem to affect it; Rogue was able to get past a couple turns by removing the Nature IIb and Shadow IIb promotions (which of course causes all kinds of other issues).

I'm afraid until I can figure out what is up specifically, I'm going to have to declare RLD temporarily incompatible with Win7. Most likely, it is some kind of weirdness between Modular XML and windows 7.

The worst part is, although I have Win7, my Civ4 is installed on my XP partition, so I can't bugtest it myself unless I do a full reinstall of Civ. -_-¿

The worst part is, although I have Win7, my Civ4 is installed on my XP partition, so I can't bugtest it myself unless I do a full reinstall of Civ. -_-¿

For me it is(was) possible to use the CIV4 that I had installed under XP also with Win7. All the options/user settings are stored in the user folder, not in the CIV folder.

Hmm. I won't say it's modular XML not liking Win7- I and two of my testing buddies have win7 and we use more of my modular mods than could possibly be considered healthy.

EDIT: Hey max, I followed your install instructions (and I'm obviously no stranger to where things go!) and when I got the game installed the Units and Heroes sections of the civilopedia are dead blank.
Something's wrong in Kansas.

EDIT2: K, I checked, it isn't anything in the Python.

Top Bottom