Modern Unit Graphics

Hi Tanelorn,

I love the new units stances.

As promised I posted my latest unit template on my Vietnam development thread. You can check it out here post #24.

As I indicated earlier I'm not a graphic artist and as I explained on the thread there is a gap for Vietnam era units on the different Civ sites (trust me I looked), which has made it particularly difficult to maintain a consistency of style and historical accuracy throughout the unit grid.

You may want to take a look at it and see and let me know what you think.

I must humbly apologize, tootall. I had a thorough look for that old MGE Canberra I ONCE had, but I seem to have, at some point long ago, replaced all of the Commonwealth-based bomber/attack fighter slot aircraft in my old MGE Cold War scenarios with Tornados, replacing the Canberras (slots were tight in number back then). Even worse, I don't seem to have kept the original graphic I had used. I had a good look and I tried, but I am sorry. I wish you luck in convincing someone far better than either of us in making one.

No worries Patine. It's the first scenario I design were I'm having difficulty finding all the units I would like to have so I've been reaching out to our always very helpful little community to see if they can help fill in the gaps.

Thanks for looking all the same.

There you are. The tricky part was the pith helmet, seriously.

Do you have any specific preference (i.e. taking off the glacis or switching the wheels for a tripod)?

I love this quote: (Mad Jack) Churchill was said to be unhappy with the sudden end of the (second world) war, saying: "If it wasn't for those damn Yanks, we could have kept the war going another 10 years."

According to this, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-2814866/Kill-without-mercy-party-like-theres-no-tomorrow-Churchills-secret-band-fearless-warriors-broke-hearts-rules-Nazis-spirit.html he wasn't alone.

Thanks for looking all the same.
"Ask and it shall be given you":

Just blued it a bit and updated the cockpit.

Attachments

• Tanelorn NVA and DShK.png
    Tanelorn NVA and DShK.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 847
  • Fairline B57.png
    Fairline B57.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 851
Nah, don't mind me. Your work is great, I am just having great fun making stuff.
Here's a lineup of 'Nam era Phantoms for example.

The 57 looks like a bofors, easy peasy.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Vietnam Phantoms.png
    Tanelorn Vietnam Phantoms.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 873
The 57mm.
-edit-
Small fix

Attachments

• Tanelorn 57mm S60.png
    Tanelorn 57mm S60.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 422
Nice work Tim, I like the F-4s especially!

Wow Tanelorn! The level of detail on your 57mm is just amazing. This is a true little piece of art. Seriously! Rest assured it's already added to my unit grid. Thank you!!

As techumseh said in his 'Summer Project' thread, it's quality graphic art like this that inspires us designers to want to create scenarios.

I've also used your NVA infantry units to replace mine (I used your head portion to replace those on my own NVA Veteran and Sapper units). I'm also going to be incorporating your F-4 which are very very nice.

I'm not certain if you are proceeding with the 85mm but if you are still up to the challenge afterwards, I still have some further requests.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Vietnam F5.png
    Tanelorn Vietnam F5.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Tanelorn Vietnam F5 contrast.png
    Tanelorn Vietnam F5 contrast.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 410
Hi Tanelorn,

I've already grabbed the 85mm AA, A-7, F-8, PRC and Khmer infantry units. Excellent work (I especially like the Khmer unit)! :goodjob:

I feel the VNAF color scheme might be too dark for F-5 unit. It's not a must but is it possible to use a lighter color scheme, one that's not as overpowering.

Thanks for the link to Fairline's artillery units. I don't know how I managed to miss them. Incredible work from the master once again. With regards the M2A1 105mm, is it possible to recreate it without the gun shield?

That would leave the Pathet Lao and Cambodian units to complete my infantry icons. :blush:

I'm also curious if you had to create a Viet Cong unit what would your design would look like?

Thank you again for all your hard work to date. It is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• M2a1 105mm.png
    M2a1 105mm.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 794
And here it is: the 105mm, an SKS carbine armed VC.

Attachments

• 105 high angle SKS.png
    105 high angle SKS.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 772
Hi Tanelorn,

I've added your Pathet Lao, FANK, VC units to my unit grid. The lighter F5 is much better. I prefer the non elevated 105mm but the other one, as techumseh pointed out, is more historical. I will have to see which one I use. I'm extremely pleased with all your work to date. I can't thank you enough! :)

Would you be able to redesign my VC Mortar and VC Sapper units based on your first model style (the second style kind of reminds me of a skateboarder :lol:)?

Would you be able to redesign my Korean Infantry and Marine units?

I find that my South Vietnamese Popular Forces (RUFF/PUFF) unit is a little too sloppy. Are you able to create a better design along with their unit badge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Vietnamese_Regional_Force?

I 'm torn between Fairline's American units and yours. I need to think about it.

I'm not certain if I will have enough unit space (depending on TNO) but I have, I believe, one final wish list: :D

Could you design a US Navy A-4 Skyhawk (same metallic grey as your other A-6 and A-7), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-4_Skyhawk.

Could you design a Riverine Patrol Craft, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrol_Boat,_River.

and finally, here's a particular challenge, if you are interested, if you had to build a VC Base Camp unit what would it look like?

Sure. I had an Agentinian A4 aleady. Navy A4F (can lose the hump fo earlier models), touched up/ lightened F105 & F5s -the rest on the way.

Attachments

• Tanelorn F105 A4F F5.png
    Tanelorn F105 A4F F5.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 760
Top Bottom