Modern World War

cordeos

Chieftain
I would like to make a scenario modern world war. I hoping people here will have suggestions, ideas, etc to help me out

The first thing I did was work on a playable countries list.
I used country size along with the list of Military units, I had to do a little shifting to achieve continental balance, but this list is pretty much the 22 top nations by size and military power:

Asia
1.China
2. India
3. Russia (also counts for Europe)
4. Turkey (also counts for Europe)
5. Pakistan
6. Iran
7. Saudi Arabia

Europe
(Russia)
(Turkey)
8. France
9. Ukraine
10. Germany

North America
11. United States of America
12. Mexico

South America
13. Brazil
14. Colombia
15. Venezuela
16. Peru

Oceania
17. Indonesia
18. Australia

Africa
19. Ethiopia
20. Sudan
21. Egypt
22. Algeria

This is not a final list and i will take suggestions, but I'm much happier with it than I was with the list before. I am now going to start working on the City state list. The next step will be to find a good earth map, if you have suggestions that would be great.

After that I will need to decide the number of cities countries and city states will get, build their territory onto the world map and decide starting military strength. Nukes are also something I have been debating removing, as I really don't like them in Civ5 and in the modern world nations are cautious about using them.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.

Edit:
Working City States list (spoilers hide the list of what countries fall under the groups I've made)
As I haven't yet hit 41 city states, I have decided to have several states that are disputed or not politically allied with its neighbors added to the list. Israel, Northern Cyprus and North Korea.
Current number of city states: 41
Largest 13 non-playable nations: (they will round out the city state list and give the game more political complexity.)

1.Argentina
2.Kazakhstan
3.Democratic Republic of the Congo
4.Greenland/denmark
5.Mauritania
6.Libya
7.Mongolia
8.Chad
9.Niger
10.Angola
11.Mali
12.South Africa
13.Bolivia

Other nations will be grouped into larger city states:
Africa
1.Saharan States
2.Central
3.Eastern
4.Southern
5.Western
Spoiler :

o Saharan States
o Chad
o Libya
o Morocco
o South Sudan
o Tunisia

o Central
o Burundi
o Cameroon
o Central African Republic
o Democratic Republic of the Congo
o Republic of the Congo
o Equatorial Guinea
o Gabon
o Rwanda
o Uganda

o Eastern
o Djibouti
o Eritrea
o Kenya
o Seychelles
o Somalia
o Tanzania

o Southern
o Angola
o Botswana
o Comoros
o Lesotho
o Madagascar
o Malawi
o Mauritius
o Mozambique
o Nambia
o South Africa
o Swaziland
o Zambia
o Zimbabwe

o Western
o Benin
o Burkina Faso
o Cape Verde
o Cote d’Ivoire
o Gambia
o Ghana
o Guinea
o Guinea-Bissau
o Liberia
o Mali
o Mauritania
o Niger
o Nigeria
o Sao Tome and Principe
o Senegal
o Sierra Leone
o Togo

Asia
1.Central
2.Eastern
3.Southern
4.Southeastern
5.Eastern(Middle East)
6.Gulf States
7.Israel
8.North Korea
Spoiler :

o Central
o Kazakhstan
o Kyrgyzstan
o Takikistan
o Turkmenistan
o Uzbekistan

o Eastern
o Japan
o South Korea
o Mongolia
o Taiwan

o North Korea

o Israel

o Southern
o Afghanistan
o Bangladesh
o Bhutan
o Maldives
o Nepal
o Sri Lanka

o Southeastern
o Brunei
o Cambodia
o Laos
o Malaysia
o Myanmar
o Philippines
o Thailand
o East Timor
o Singapore
o Vietnam

o Eastern
o Iraq
o Jordan
o Lebanon
o Syria
o Palestinian Territory

o Gulf States
o Bahrain
o Kuwait
o Oman
o Qatar
o United Arab Emirates
o Yemen

Europe
1.Balkans
2.Southern
3.Central
4.Eastern
5.Western
6.Scandinavia
7.Caucasus
8.Northern Cyprus
Spoiler :

• Balkans
o Albania
o Bulgaria
o Cyprus
o Greece
o Macedonia
o Montenegro
o Romania
o Serbia

• Central
o Austria
o Croatia
o Czech Republic
o Estonia
o Hungary
o Liechtenstein
o Luxembourg
o Estonia
o Latvia
o Lithuania
o Poland
o Slovakia
o Slovenia
o Switzerland

• Eastern
o Belarus

• Western
o Andorra
o Belgium
o Ireland
o Netherlands
o United Kingdom

• Southern
o Malta
o Monaco
o Portugal
o San Marino
o Spain
o Italy
o Vatican City

• Scandinavia
o Finland
o Iceland
o Norway
o Sweden

• Caucasus
o Armenia
o Azerbaijan
o Georgia

Oceania
1. Oceania
Spoiler :
• Oceania
o Fiji
o Kiribati
o Marshall Islands
o Micronesia
o Nauru
o New Zealand
o Palau
o Papau New Guinea
o Somoa
o Solomon Islands
o Tonga
o Tuvalu
o Vanuatu

South America
1. Northern states
2. Southern states
Spoiler :

• Northern States
o Ecuador
o Guyana
o Suriname
o Bolivia

• Southern States
o Argentina
o Chile
o Paraguay
o Uruguay

North America
1.Caribbean States
2.Canada
3.Central American States
Spoiler :

• Caribbean states
o Antigua and Barbuda
o Bahamas
o Barbados
o Belize
o Costa Rica
o Cuba
o Dominica
o Dominican Republic
o Grenada
o Haiti
o Jamaica
o Saint Kitts and Nevis
o Saint Lucia
o Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
o Trinidad and Tobago

• Central American States
o El Salvador
o Guatemala
o Honduras
o Nicaragua
o Panama

I actually had a similar idea too! But I ended up dropping it because I lost enthusiasm. Maybe we can work on this together?

I was thinking that it wouldn't be wise to have too many playable civilizations in the game because it would be daunting to play so many and it would be difficult to fit them on a map. My idea was to have just a few. Check out my thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=475304

I was also thinking that "Culture" could be revamped into something like "War Weariness", so that gaining "culture" would actually be a bad thing, and war weariness would be spent on "policies" that are actually detrimental (kind of like Roman Atrophy in Fall of Rome). I also was planning on changing "Faith" and "Religion" into something like "Resolve" and "Ideology", and different civs would have different "ideologies" that would affect the game in different ways.

Tell me what you think, I would be very happy to work with a partner on something like this!

I was planning on trying to have national territory as accurate as possible. I might work on having the city states allied or hostile to the playable nations. I'm still deciding how much I want politics/regional relationships/religion to influence the map. Having played on the largest earth maps, I don't think fitting all the nations on the map will be that difficult. Some of the nations are obviously going to start off with size advantages, but I don't want to worry about balance as I doubt many people will play this multiplayer anyway. Conquering the world as Peru will just be harder than doing it as Russia.

Would it even be possible to conquer the world as Peru? I think it would make for a more interesting game if different playable nations focused on different goals. Victory could be determined by points awarded on different actions. For example, Peru's goal might be to have control over central america: this would also offer incentive to the US, who would no doubt have massive military dominance, to try and put down Peru with a small portion of their force.

I have no idea how to even start setting up those kinds of victory conditions nor do I particularly want to. I'm not entirely sure how the AI will respond to having a world that is mostly comprised of city states. Military expansion and alliances with city states will be the only way to progress in the game. I understand the kind of mod you want to make, something more along the lines of a Total War game or the R.E.D. WWII mod. I am looking at making more of a Risk style scenario.

I am currently waiting for approval from the author to use a World Map I like. Also currently working on creating new city states. Then I need to decide how many cities the Civs are getting and start placing and naming them. After that I need to decide how big the starting armies of each country will be and place them. After that the map should be playable. Long term goals are to make new civs with flags and leader pictures. I'm also seriously considering disabling UAs.

Any advice on any of these steps would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to disable UAs you should use the UA blurb to explain the situation for each playable civ. It would be a lot more helpful for players if you have many, many civs.

Find it very odd there is no United Kingdom(England) Present as a country or a city state yet you include Peru and Ethiopia? Weird.

The U.K. is not geographically very large, it also doesn't have a particularly large military, so that's why its not on the list of playable nations. As for city States the ones that are seperate are either big in size or politically different in a significant way from their neighbors, like North Korea or Israel.

it also doesn't have a particularly large military
I do not see your reasoning since Germany's army is smaller, as are many many other's you have included. And by firepower and not numbers....the UK is 5th, Germany is not even in the Top 10 and France only just.
But yes its small geographicly, your mods title states Modern World War, and your skipping one of the major current "modern" world powers.

The U.K. has 197,780 active and 212,400 reserve. Germany has 195,893 active and 200,812 reserve. So pretty much the same size. Germany is significantly larger than the U.K. if I had one more slot for Europe I would put the U.K. in, but I want to keep the two continental powers and Ukraine. Honestly I might cut France for another Asian power.

off-topic:
well considering the amount of nuclear devices available, I think that the whole war would last for a few minutes only

on-topic:
You know that DLL access is coming soon, so you can consider using more than 22 civilizations in game.

Depending of the size of Europe on your map, you may solve your Germany/U.K./France problem by merging them in a EU civilization.

off-topic:
well considering the amount of nuclear devices available, I think that the whole war would last for a few minutes only

on-topic:
You know that DLL access is coming soon, so you can consider using more than 22 civilizations in game.

If i wanted to play a nuclear war simulation I already have DEFCON, i am probably going to disable nukes in the mod.

As for #2 that would be pretty amazing, and would also make it possible to hate myself by adding a crazy amount of nations :)

If you want to get rid of nuclear devices, then you can add such back story to your scenario: it is year 2030 and Major nations decided to destroy all left overs from the cold war and ban construction of any new nuclear warheads. This led to mass mobilization of troops in smaller countries because their bigger neighbors lost their main weapon. Or something like this. You can also leave some nuclear devices in some countries but limit them.

I did a lot of work on a project like this as well. I even looked up armed forces across the world and how they are deployed and stuff. I had a lot of fun, but never finished it. My greatest challenge was getting it so that the civs weren't all starving and unhappy. I recommend keeping a good record of how many strategic resources each army uses, since that was a pain to go back and figure. If you are realistically distributing resources, particularly strategics then it is sort of impossible since in our modern world countries trade them like crazy. But I wish you all the success in the world and if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer. If you're interested, I can probably send you some files.

Personally, I think merging Germany, France and UK into some EU type proxy alliance is a smart idea to lessen the pressure on Europe space and make them more viable. Also, size aside, the UK has a relatively very advanced military. Remember that number of soldiers is not a perfect proxy for military might.

A couple suggestions for you:
1. Use a 'Giant' sized earth map. Gedemon's YNEM is just fine for this.
2. Wait until the fall patch comes out, so you can add more than 22 playable civs. I would most likely make the playable civs this: (The number will be how hard they are to play as, 1/10)

Europe:
1. United Kingdom 4/10 (High Population, Decent army, Great Navy/airforce, Excellent Diplomatic Situation)
2. France 5/10 (High Population, Good army, decent navy/airforce, Great Diplomatic Situation
3. Germany 4/10 (Very High Population, Great army, decent navy/airforce, Excellent diplomatic situation)
4. Russia 3/10 (High Population, Outstanding Army, good navy/Airforce, Decent Diplomatic Situation)
5. Sweden 7/10 (Decent Population, Decent Army, Decent navy/airforce, Excellent diplomatic Situation)
6. Italy 6/10
7. Spain 7/10
8. Norway 7/10
9. Ukraine 8/10

Middle-East
10. Turkey 7/10 (High Population, Decent Army, Excellent Navy, Decent Diplomatic Situation)
11. Isreal 8/10 (Poor Population, Excellent Army, Excellent Navy, Terrible diplomatic Situation)
12. Iran 6/10 (High Population, Good Army, Poor navy, Very poor Diplomatic Situation)
14. Egypt 8/10
15. Saudi Arabia 7/10
16. Pakistan 5/10 (Very High Population, Good Army, Good Navy, Poor diplomatic Situation)
17. Syria 9/10

Asia
18. China 2/10 ( Outstanding Population, Excellent Army, Excellent Navy, Decent Diplomatic Situation )
19. Japan 5/10 (High Population, Decent Army, Great Navy, Good Diplomatic Situation)
11. India 4/10 (Excellent Population, Great Army, Good Navy, Good Diplomatic Situation)
12. North Korea 8/10
13. South Korea 9/10
14. Thailand 8/10
15. Indonesia 7/10
16. Kazakhstan 9/10

Africa
17. Sudan 10/10 (Decent Population, Good Army, poor navy, Terrible Diplomatic Situation)
18. South Africa 6/10 (High Population, Good Army, Good Navy, Good Diplomatic Situation)
19. Libya 8/10 (Poor population, Poor Army, Poor navy, Poor Diplomatic Situation)
20. Ethiopia 6/10
21. Nigeria 7/10
22.Dem. Rep. of the Congo 7/10

America's
23. United States 1/10 (Excellent population, Excellent Army, Outstanding Navy, Good Diplomatic Situation)
24. Brazil 4/10 (Very high population, Good Army, decent navy, Excellent Diplomatic Situation)
25. Canada 4/10 (High Population, Good army, Good navy, Excellent Diplomatic Situation)
26. Mexico 6/10 (High Population, Decent Army, Decent Navy, Great Diplomatic Situation)
27. Argentina 6/10 (Decent Population, Decent Army, Good Navy, Excellent Diplomatic Situation)
28. Cuba 10/10 (Poor Population, Poor Army, Poor Navy, Very Poor Diplomatic situation)
29. Venezuela 8/10 (Decent Population, Decent Army, Poor Navy, Poor Diplomatic Situation)

Pacific
30. Australia 4/10 ( High Population, Good Army, Great Navy, Great Diplomatic Situation)
31. Philipenes 9/10 (Decent Population, Poor Army, Good Navy, Decent Diplomatic situation)
32. New Zealand 5/10 (Decent Population, Decent Army, Good Navy, Excellent Diplomatic Situation)

Top Bottom