Montezuma Immortal Cookbook

Taking out an opponent early on is always a strong approach (if it works), especially on standard sized and smaller maps. The Jaguar wasn't really needed here, Axemen work just as well.

Haha, woody 2 jaguars.
Spoiler :
Second game in a row where the strongest approach is a rush only possible with the early UU!

Who says it's all about playing the map?

Spoiler :
IMO, REXing would be even better here, like in Grashopa's save.

GKey
Spoiler :

I'm leaning towards taking JC out as being superior. I have no clue really at this point. If we get no more happy and if we have to whip out a lot of units for defense on both sides having more cities could be a liability.

EDIT and obviously of the rex'ers i have a bigger liability that may not pay off soon enough.

@CivConvict
Spoiler :
The Jaguar wasn't really needed here, Axemen work just as well.

Looks like that's what GKey did too - nice job by him. I thought the "lure-em-out" trick being described relied on woodsman 2 to attack Rome from distance through forest. But the fact there are 2 rivers between Rome and Antium, and 1 to Ravenna, must have slowed the defender movements down quite a lot.

I'll be interested to see how long the rexers (including myself) survive against praetorians. Only way I can see JC choosing Germany is if we can bribe him, and I suspect I've rexed too much now to get enough tech to do that in time. Probably going to retry using a small empire approach.

I can't manage to get a rush off by turn 70, so won't be submitting a save. Barbs are causing me havoc on multiple tries, including taking my copper city.

Played it trough, but don't know is there is any reason to post the results as someone surely will have rushed every singe civ in map effectively ending it in BC :D . Will post the results a bit later in day.

Here is how my game went.

Spoiler :
Tech path was Agg=>Archery=>BW=>Pottery=>Writing

Maybe I should have teched AH, considering first spot I took was the one with pig, but I wasn't sure that I could secure a border pop before JC. Second city was the one west of capital (corn/clam) third northern one with corn.

After scouting how close JC was I decided to expand in his direction and managed to get both spots I went for. Only for workers for 4 cities ( though capital is already improved) 2 more workers incoming. Is this Large map, because looks like getting 7 cities will be very easy. Haven't scouted in Fred direction yet though, as there are considerable barbarian pressure.

pictures
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Montezuma Immortal Cookbook turn 70.CivBeyondSwordSave
    114.7 KB · Views: 39
lmao. I like your artistic city radius :lol:

I had it, but after I re-installed game I haven't bothered to get it. And that is paint btw.

T70: turtle save

Spoiler :
Don't suppose this will be the best approach but I thought I'd give it a try. Basically avoiding the long-payoff-time jungle cities, staying small, and trying to do some serious teching.

Built henge and GWall, settled copper towards Fred, that's all so far.

Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

T71 spoiler:
Spoiler :
Prophet arives - bulbing theology at some point seems like a promising idea ;)

(Edit: Not first attempt, hence this save is ineligible for voting)
View attachment Montezuma Immortal Cookbook BC-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave

The number of spawnbusters and how early you get them out is critical, as it really cuts down on the barbs. You want to keep them from spawning near your borders before 2200 BC when they rush the nearest city. In my game I built a spearman and walked him around taking out all the stragglers that didn't rush my cities.

Did you use scouts as spawn busters to get them where they needed faster (2 movement points)?

We started with a scout - its very useful if your first unit survives for the extra spawn bust. I used to use scouts for the 2 move and look ability but you have to run away from barbs if they come which is silly annoying.

Scouts are kinda limited in fogbusting. Great for a small peninsula otherwise you have to keep moving it as it can't defend worth (expletive).

Didn't put much effort into this game, but here goes:

Spoiler :
Tech order: Agriculture -> Archery -> Mining -> Bronze Working -> Wheel -> Pottery -> Iron Working

Got silver in Tenochtitlan, which kind of sucks for a cookbook.

Where does your silver come from? Events are turned off and the silver isn't on the autosave? Discovering of bonus materials are not an event?

I didn't spawnbust and not going for a rush... Spawnbusting just seems little bit like exploiting the game mechanics to me. *lol* Here's what I did:
Spoiler :
First going for agriculture to use the corn (settled on hilltop south of eastern elephant). Got Buddhism holy city in capital, went for bronzeworking, built 2 cities, one to the east, one to the swine/copper south east. Didn't research archery, so my warriors are defending the warrior/archer attacks. But archery in round 72 then. :) Oracle done in round 71. After that going for more settlements, babarian defense, spreading religion, as my neighbors are not religious yet.

This is my first immortal game and I didn't expect such babarian hordes *lol*, but it's kind of funny, how they keep attacking my units in jungle and behind river.

Here's my go:

Spoiler :

OK so there are so many saves at this point I'll just go through what I did in comparison to others. (Don't worry I played mine out before reading anyone elses).

So:
-Didn't rush JC
-Got 3 cities with a settler due in one turn
-Plenty of workers had 5 out early
-It seems that i'm the only one who settled both a city to block off JC AND one down south to divert Freddie's settling as well.
-Writing just edged out pottery to get more culture in southern city. (usually I do prefer pottery

So I did ok, more than enough room to expand and I wanted to leave JC in the hope that he'd build me the Mids. But then again it's not like I have 6 cities!
Grashopa's save is ridiculously good, the extra BFC corn would have helped plenty but still, 6 cities at t70...

Attachments

• Bobbyboy29 Montezuma Immortal Cookbook.CivBeyondSwordSave
    111.6 KB · Views: 44
Where does your silver come from? Events are turned off and the silver isn't on the autosave? Discovering of bonus materials are not an event?

You have a 1/10,000 chance per turn per mine to pop a resource. That's: each mine every turn can pop a resource at 0.01% odds...

In theory, if you're working 10,000 mines, you should pop a resource on a given turn.

Top Bottom