Morocco with Kasbahs is amazing

Yzman

Deity
My capital is size 41 or so. I have petra, desert folklore and lots of kasbahs. Just a ridiculous city. It was cranking out pretty much anything instantly and I have like 11,000 faith and nothing to spend it on.

I've never had a city so large, in the desert no less.

Whats the largest size city you have had?

In a game I played as Poland, I had a city that was size 38. I don't think it was Warsaw, though...think it was 2nd or 3rd city.

Could we get a screenshot of the kasbah city?

Honestly I've never understood the big deal. Petra turns useless tiles into plains, and kasbah just adds 1f, 1p, 1g. So you'll have lots of 2f, 2p, 1g cities. I don't see why that's so amazing. Obviously I'm missing something.

Honestly I've never understood the big deal. Petra turns useless tiles into plains, and kasbah just adds 1f, 1p, 1g. So you'll have lots of 2f, 2p, 1g cities. I don't see why that's so amazing. Obviously I'm missing something.

Because if you have a lot of them, you get a lot of all three resources. It becomes significant if you're in a desert heavy area, as each desert becomes an all-around good tile, and is made even better by flood plains/hills. Petra helps too, but even without it the Kasbah is very good.

My biggest city in BNW so far is 52 with Arabia.

mrwho said:
Honestly I've never understood the big deal.
Kasbah are also forts so +50% defence bonus from tiles with one on it. They also let you have 2 food non-fresh water hills, so instead of a hill with 1 food 4 production (with a mine) it's a 2 food 4 production 1 gold +50% defence tile. Since Kasbah isn't tied to Petra, you can turn mediocre/poor look city areas into sucessful ones as you can shove Kasbah's everywhere.

Venice, I've had it at least to 40, probably 45. I stop growing it after it gets up that much.

Because if you have a lot of them, you get a lot of all three resources. It becomes significant if you're in a desert heavy area, as each desert becomes an all-around good tile, and is made even better by flood plains/hills. Petra helps too, but even without it the Kasbah is very good.

Here's my Kasbah city:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-25 at 12.51.22.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-25 at 12.51.22.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 2,057
I have started playing as Morocco (rather poorly I might add) so am still adjusting to the Kasbahs.

(Doing my best Charles Boyer impersonation "Meet me at the casbah".

Sadly, Marrakesh in my game has no desert within a bulls roar.

My biggest city in BNW so far is 52 with Arabia.

Kasbah are also forts so +50% defence bonus from tiles with one on it. They also let you have 2 food non-fresh water hills, so instead of a hill with 1 food 4 production (with a mine) it's a 2 food 4 production 1 gold +50% defence tile. Since Kasbah isn't tied to Petra, you can turn mediocre/poor look city areas into sucessful ones as you can shove Kasbah's everywhere.
+2 food? That's only if you build Petra with it, right? Kasbah certainly gives useless desert flat tiles some bonuses, but without Petra that tile is still pretty mediocre. It's like a plain tile with +1 gold on it. Shouldn't the Kasbah get an upgrade at some point in the tech tree since all the other UIs seem to get one?

+2 food? That's only if you build Petra with it, right? Kasbah certainly gives useless desert flat tiles some bonuses, but without Petra that tile is still pretty mediocre. It's like a plain tile with +1 gold on it. Shouldn't the Kasbah get an upgrade at some point in the tech tree since all the other UIs seem to get one?

That's how I feel. Morocco looks good on paper, but ends up being very underwhelming, in my opinion, because none of their bonuses advance. The +1 culture per trade route ends up becoming so minor by mid-game that it's forgettable, and the kasbah -- without any sort of additional gold or culture or faith or anything -- is not even worth working in most cases unless you have Petra. Making a Civ that dependent on a Wonder doesn't make them too exciting. Their UU is also just another boring cavalry unit with a bonus in home territory. I would like to see them get some more upgrades in the next patch to make them a little more exciting.

Yeah 2 food is with Petra. Kasbah getting an upgrade would be nice. Although would it not turn into 2 food at fertilizer?

I was getting cities in the 40s in desert hills using Inca+Temple of Artemis+Feed the World+Fertility Rites+Swords into Plowshares.

The biggest problem with Morocco is that you're screwed if you don't start in a decently large desert. That's not unlikely - in my last 3 games as them, I haven't started in a large desert any time. Without a desert, you lose your UI and half of your UU, and quite often your capital starts next to a measly 1-2 tiles of desert.

Petra and Desert Folklore are vital for Morocco. Petra gives a caravan and trade route as well, so it's even more important as it syncs with their UA.

Spoiler :

It's good because you get a perfect balance of food/production/gold with 2/2/1.

You're right that petra on flat deserts is nothing to be amazed by, but the power of petra is that the bonus applies applies to hills (1 food and 3 production before any improvements) and you can get faith from all of those tiles with desert folklore. 2 food, 4 production, 1 gold, 1 faith, and +50% fortification bonus is an incredible tile especially considering that you can get them well before all the industrial tile improvement techs like fertilizer.

Top Bottom