MSMD: How to Create a Mod (video demo)

OK, these are the files as they appear in MMOCiv 5.2/Assets/Art/Interface/Screens (renaming or removing the Next War folder entirely made no difference):

Attachments

• Loading.rar
    309.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Next War.rar
    309.6 KB · Views: 131
The .dds in the next war folder is named Next_War_Main_Menu.dds. If you copied the .nif from there, you'll have to rename it.

If that's done it works (see the attachement, works if loaded as mod).

Attachments

• Jeelen.zip
    461.2 KB · Views: 160
In Final Frontier Plus we use the normal main menu load screen, but have specified a different DDS file to show during loading, which is the time after you start a game before it switches to the map (while it is setting things up, as per the progress box that it shows over this background).

Loading image is here:
Assets\Art\Interface\Screens\Loading\LoadingScreenBGBeyondtheSword.dds

To change just the overlaid text for the main menu, you need to put a file called FF_logo_layer.dds into Assets\Art\Shared with your new logo. The original for this is in Beyond the Sword\Assets\Art\Shared (not in the FF mod, it is in the regular BtS folder). That is just the text and border above the spinning things with the rest transparent (to show the spinning things and stars).

Or, as you've been trying, you can replace the nif file in that folder (Assets\Art\Interface\Main Menu) with the one from Next War and supply your own DDS file in the same folder to replace the one named Next_War_Main_Menu.dds (size matching the one that comes with Next War is probably a good idea). NextWarSky.dds is also used since the Next War's image for Next_War_Main_Menu.dds has some transparent sections where the sky would be, so you may need this file too even if it isn't going to show up. (You could use this, or replace it with a star field or something, if you want to put some transparent sections in the top part of your Next_War_Main_Menu.dds. It is animated to flow from right to left from the viewer's perspective wrapping back to the beginning after 133.3333 seconds.)

(Looks like I The_J slipped an answer in before I finished this...)

Just in case someone misunderstands, I'll point out that FF_logo_layer.dds is used by the nif in Final Frontier, not the one used by regular BtS.
The regular BtS's Beyond_The_Sword_Main_Menu.dds is where it has the text, along with the building - the sky, glare, and birds are separate things.

New to all the modding and was following the first video of this thread, but I don't have anything populating my folders.

Each folder is empty and I don't understand why. I am running CivIV Complete (if that matters) but there are no mods in the MOD folder either (although they are accessible in-game).

Probably a dumb question but am new to all this...

Yeah been there too, but thanks. The only content is my scenario which is located at present in the Save/WB file. I can't seem to find anything else...?

It probably just me being a numpty :)

Attachments

• Emptyfiles.doc
    197.5 KB · Views: 136
Next time save it as .jpg file and not as .bmp file, then you can directly upload it ;).

Yeah, that's strange, indeed.
Do you see any other possible folder in the Civ4Complete folder?

If you're on a 64 bit system, please also check C:\Progam Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\etc.

Do you have a Civ4 shortcut on your desktop?
If so, then make a right click on it, then click at properties at the bottom.
In that menu it should be displayed to where the shotcut leads to, which means there will definitely be the correct folder.

You star!! :)

Attachments

• BTSpath.JPG
    BTSpath.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 161
I do have another question more related to the thread. I've been working on a map that I have saved as part of a 'custom game'. It's accessible as a scenario and saved as a WBS file.

I am really rather proud of my map and would like it to be in my module. I know I can amend the civilisations and the leaders etc. with notepad - but am hoping to do more and want to know if I able to properly create a module that will retain the map?

Thanks.

Er, not sure what you mean, you should rephrase the question.

If you mean if you can load a map with your mod: Sure. You can load every default map with a mod (unless it conflicts witht something else, e.g. not existing terrain) and you can set a map so up that it requires your mod.

I began a custom game and then went into Worldbuilder and designed my own map for it. Thing is I would like to keep that map when I create a 'mod'.

Because I have saved it it is accessible as a scenario. So when I want to work on my map (or play the game) I simply 'Play Scenario' or hit the icon in WBS file and access the game/map that way.

I just wondered if I create a 'mod' whether I can link it to that map. It may be that I don't yet understand the concepts/phraseology, but I hope that clarifies it all a little.

I might answer my own questions when I've watched all your videos of course.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Senario - Select a Map.JPG
    Senario - Select a Map.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 164
  • SPQR - Civilisations.JPG
    SPQR - Civilisations.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 192
  • SPQR - Map - Work in progress.JPG
    SPQR - Map - Work in progress.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 179
Not my videos ;).

But yes, possible.
You can open such a worldbuilder file with a text editor (right click -> open with... -> Notepad or wordpad).
On the top in this file you'll then find something like this:
PHP:
Version=11
BeginGame
	Era=ERA_ANCIENT
	Speed=GAMESPEED_NORMAL
	Calendar=CALENDAR_DEFAULT
	Victory=VICTORY_TIME
	Victory=VICTORY_CONQUEST
	Victory=VICTORY_DOMINATION
	Victory=VICTORY_CULTURAL
	Victory=VICTORY_SPACE_RACE
	Victory=VICTORY_DIPLOMATIC
	GameTurn=0
	MaxTurns=500
	MaxCityElimination=0
	NumAdvancedStartPoints=660
	TargetScore=0
	StartYear=-4000
	Description=
	ModPath=
EndGame

The important part here is the ModPath= thingy.
You'll have to change it to ModPath=Mods\MyNewMod (where MyNewMod is the name of your mods folder), save it, and then you're done with it.

Top Bottom