Multiverse

New feature added called the Sargasso Sea where ships can get lost in the mysterious mists. Also added a new resource called seals that can be harvested for food and production modifiers.

Changed baseline features in game on Marathon level.

Added several new animal types including a zombie and a Gigantopithecus.

Will post a new build soon.

NEW Version available
Download from first post

Looks interesting.

My initial experience went like this: I unzipped into the Mods directory as instructed. It starts up fine but crashed when I told it to create a game. The log files were empty.

Then I went into the .ini file and told it not to cache...
; Disable caching of file system (may slow initialization)
DisableFileCaching = 1

; Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = 1
Then it worked fine. I'm just sharing in case someone else has a similar problem.

The mod works fine. I like the concept, especially the really granular technologies. But I must have picked the wrong map generator. I kept exploring and exploring and exploring and only met one culture. Then I figured out that the entire (large) map was grassland! That game would have taken forever. I'm restarting.

Yes, there are certain map types that don't work well.

Ones that I have played and know work are Continents, Archipelago, and Terra. Others may work as well.

I also suggest playing a Custom Game and that you make sure there are 6-10 other AI.

My playstyle is Noble and Huge world. With Raging Barbarians. Aggressive AI tends to make them actually less effective.

Troy

They simply act as a resource for additional gold. As an unworked tile, they give a bonus to trade and revenue. They can't be developed, although I am working on a "dig site" improvement, that gives beakers as well as coins.

Sounds like you are having fun. That is great!

Troy

Downloading now ... will have a good look at this.

BTS 3.19 doesn't get installed in my stupid head comp.

Does this thing run without 3.19 patch?

Reporting on Game #2. Prince level & didn't really know what I was doing so I was off to a slow start until I built Oracle, chose Alphabet and discovered the effects of tech trading in this mod. There are so many techs, that it is easier. I usually use 'no technology brokering' which isn't good here; it got me too much of an advantage.

Map generator was big and small. None of the AIs seemed to have invested much in sailing. Could that have been another effect of the big tech tree? I was gobbling up valuable island real estate at a prodigious pace. Between that and the techs, no questions I was going to win this one so I quit that game.

Game #3. I should warn you that I'm a compulsive tinkerer. I wondered what it would be like if I used no technology trading and then made all resources visible immediately. I used the tectonics map generator and wound up on a crowded continent as Shaka/Zulu. Naturally I went the military route and started with a nail biting war early on when I had one city and the Hawaiians had two. The mod really shines with these early wars.

I was going to settle in for a nice run of development when another civ declared war. My Impis were so fast I took one of his cities on turn one of the war and made really short work of this civ. Now I'm up to seven cities when the other big civ on the continent jumped me. This was a little more of a challenge, but my combination of Impi, Blood Priest and Ashbow Archers proved quite unstoppable. I'm certainly going to take this whole continent and it looks pretty clear this one is in the bag too.

Using World Builder to look around, I see that most civs have minotaurs which means that most of the AIs have gone to Atlantean III. But I don't see any Atlantean Sages, which I think means the AI doesn't understand their importance.

For Game 4, I'm going to try some semi-serious mod-modding to try and get the AIs to take a greater variety of paths in the no tech trading world. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm having a lot of fun with this. Thanks!

Game #3. I should warn you that I'm a compulsive tinkerer. I wondered what it would be like if I used no technology trading and then made all resources visible immediately. I used the tectonics map generator and wound up on a crowded continent as Shaka/Zulu. Naturally I went the military route and started with a nail biting war early on when I had one city and the Hawaiians had two. The mod really shines with these early wars.

I was going to settle in for a nice run of development when another civ declared war. My Impis were so fast I took one of his cities on turn one of the war and made really short work of this civ. Now I'm up to seven cities when the other big civ on the continent jumped me. This was a little more of a challenge, but my combination of Impi, Blood Priest and Ashbow Archers proved quite unstoppable. I'm certainly going to take this whole continent and it looks pretty clear this one is in the bag too.

Using World Builder to look around, I see that most civs have minotaurs which means that most of the AIs have gone to Atlantean III. But I don't see any Atlantean Sages, which I think means the AI doesn't understand their importance.

For Game 4, I'm going to try some semi-serious mod-modding to try and get the AIs to take a greater variety of paths in the no tech trading world. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm having a lot of fun with this. Thanks!

Sounds like you are having fun with the mod, and that is what truly counts. I agree with you that the AI can get lost with all so many techs, so I often leave Trade and Bartering on to compensate for that.

I test that game with three players plus myself. One of the players has the mechanics down pat and always jumps to the lead and is far and beyond the others, moving giant stacks of troops around. I have another player that really does nothing more than allow the AI to select builds and troops and he tends to do well in the beginning but peters out in the end. Another does adequately well, but suffers in combat as he just seems to have bad luck. Oddly, even though I designed the mod I don't fair to well, often getting heaping bad luck with starting location and battle odds.

Everyone has their playstyles, but everyone always seems to have fun playing the game.

I suggest trying to play one on Epic or Marathon, Huge World, 10 Opponents, Raging Barbarians, but NOT Agggressive AI. Allow Tech Trading and Brokering.

If you have ideas of what would make the game more fun, challenging, or enjoyable, just bullet point here.

Thank you for your posts.

So it's me again (i posted earlier this year regarding this), and I was looking for some help with this mod, i've been really wanting to play it for over like 4 months now but i haven't been able to because of that GFC Initializing error :(. This time around the uncompressed file (using the Windows 64-bit version of 7zip to extract it directly from Downloads--> BTS mods folder) is 890mb and ever time i try to load it up, it gets to the stage in loading of the Initializing XML, gives me the GFC: Failed to initialize the primary control theme error, then goes to "[Multiverse] Init Fonts (15.98s)" (example, sometimes it's like 30s), then gives me the error again then stops working and crashes. If you could help me out here, that would just be awesome as this mod you've made looks absolutely fantastic and it's most likely a problem that can be fixed seeing as other people have gotten it to work, can't wait to play it :) and so yeah, keep up the great work and stuff :goodjob: :D

I regret that you are having issues, but at least that is the most common of errors one gets with this or any other large mod. I am not a professional programmer, so I can only offer advice that is well known at this site.

Make sure you put it in the correct folder: C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Or if you got it from steam: Steam install=(driver Steam is on)/Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword/beyond the sword/mods

Make sure the game is running in English language?

You can try this too:

1) You've installed the mod in the wrong location. At least 80% of people who report launch problems to me have done this, so please check the correct installation locations very thoroughly. Multiverse will not work from any location in Documents or MyDocuments.

2) The mod's folder has been renamed. The mod's folder should be named "Multiverse" with no version number. Some unarchiving applications seem to change the folder name to match the .zip, you'll need to check this. Also be sure that your unarchiving software has not 'double-nested' the mod folder - there should not be a History Rewritten folder inside another History Rewritten folder.

3) You may also have modular loading disabled. Locate the following files "~/Documents/CivilizationIV Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV.ini" and "Multiverse/Multiverse.ini". Both contain an entry "ModularLoading = 1". If either is set to 0, change it to 1. Note that if you rename the folder of the mod CivIV will automatically create a replacement for History Rewritten.ini that will probably have modular loading disabled.

Top Bottom