Music Files Discussion

My favorites from that site are:

Danse Macabre
Sonatina in C Minor
Waltz (Tchaikovsky Op 40)
Alchemists Tower
Colossus
Scheming Weasel (both fast & slow versions)
Constancy Parts 1,2 and 3
Sneaky Snitch
Umbrella Pants
Ghost Dance
Crisis
Tenebrous Brothers Carnival, Part 2
One-eyed Maestro
Intended Force
Iron Horse
An Upsetting Theme
Not as it Seems (Search by Feel: Suspenseful)
Professor and the Plant

I spotted some Diplo music in there too:

Sonata 17 - Britain
Schmetterling - Goth Civ
Unpromised - Atlantis
Redletter - Cthulhu
Temple of the Manes - Orovar, Barsoom
Myst - Helium, Barsoom

Many many songs in the African and Wonders of Other Worlds categories for Pellucidar and Barsoom.

As far as the Vernian Process Music is concerned, I've so far identified the following instrumental pieces as possibly fitting in:

Curse of Whitechapel (Instrumental) from Behold the Machine - First song, first era
Into the Depths from Behold the Machine - early second era
At the Center of the Earth from Discovery - late second era
Rust (Part 3) from Forgotten Ages - early third era
De La Terre a La Lune from Discovery for our Moon - late third era

Ah, that's the question, isn't it? Some of those Silent film pieces seem that they'd fit right into something like this. But I get the impression that KA would like to keep this score mostly cinematic. I can see that. You know, there is a story in The making of the music for Back to the Future where Bob Zemekis went to Alan Silvestri and said, "Look, I don't have a lot of money, and I don't have a lot of really big images on the screen, so make the music really big so that it will make the movie seem bigger than it really is."

Seems to me that would apply here as well, as we piece this soundtrack together. Is there a way to do wonder splash music, does anyone know?

Maybe an elusive .amb file?

Yes there is a file but can't remember where it is off the top of my head. We have one in the EFZI2 scenario that plays the theme tune of a news channel/programme.

I spotted some Diplo music in there too:
Sonata 17 - Britain
Schmetterling - Goth Civ
Unpromised - Atlantis
Redletter - Cthulhu
Temple of the Manes - Orovar, Barsoom
Myst - Helium, Barsoom

That could work but what are the culture groupings again. Diplo music is tied to culture group and you have 2 files to play with for each group: one played when at war and one played when at peace.

Ah, that's the question, isn't it? Some of those Silent film pieces seem that they'd fit right into something like this. But I get the impression that KA would like to keep this score mostly cinematic.
I don't really have a musical bone in my body so I'm quite happy leaving the choice to someone else. I did consider those silent film scores too.

Another way to play around with sound is to use preplaced units that will play their fidget sound. It's a good way to get localised sound and theme triggers into the game - got to watch they don't jar with the background music though.

Another way to play around with sound is to use preplaced units that will play their fidget sound. It's a good way to get localised sound and theme triggers into the game - got to watch they don't jar with the background music though.
Slaptheforheadishouldathotathatyoragenius.

That could work but what are the culture groupings again. Diplo music is tied to culture group and you have 2 files to play with for each group: one played when at war and one played when at peace.

Oops. That could be an issue. Right now we've got some very different civs sharing culture groups just because their city graphics match:

All Human Civs - European
All Martians except Firstborn - Mediterranean
All Moon Civs - American
Amoz, Atlantis - Asian
Mahar, Firstborn, Cthulhu - Mid East

The Firstborn could be moved into the Mediterranean group (the Mid-East City type is essentially just a large hole in the ground).

Sir Sam, how are you set up to research/set up a large-scale music editing/conversion operation? We need all of this music edited together - I believe that there isn't a limit on the length of the regular background music files...

We probably also need an accurate list of all of the game's sound files (not counting units) so that we know what we need.

Oops. That could be an issue. Right now we've got some very different civs sharing culture groups just because their city graphics match:

All Human Civs - European
All Martians except Firstborn - Mediterranean
All Moon Civs - American
Amoz, Atlantis - Asian
Mahar, Firstborn, Cthulhu - Mid East

The Firstborn could be moved into the Mediterranean group (the Mid-East City type is essentially just a large hole in the ground).

Sir Sam, how are you set up to research/set up a large-scale music editing/conversion operation? We need all of this music edited together - I believe that there isn't a limit on the length of the regular background music files...

We probably also need an accurate list of all of the game's sound files (not counting units) so that we know what we need.

at the moment I'm under a lot of pressure with deadlines for uni, but that'll ease off in a few days. If you want music files converted I already have the software, and as I say I have enough composing/producing/sequencing/mastering software to crash a small netbook:)

So yeah, I'm your man for that... the one thing is that some of those files may need additional music added to them to act as a sort of sonic 'glue' to hold more disparate elements together... this is no biggie for me, as I like composing and I also have a a lot of suitable royalty-free samples I wanna try out, but I thought I ought to mention it :)

can't you have 7 culture groups? Wouldn't that allow some more room to manouvre?

and KA's idea about prepalced units could well be the smartest thing I've ever heard...

at the moment I'm under a lot of pressure with deadlines for uni, but that'll ease off in a few days. If you want music files converted I already have the software, and as I say I have enough composing/producing/sequencing/mastering software to crash a small netbook:)

Then you're our guy. Blue Monkey is the keeper of the Modding Wiki - perhaps he can point you to particular files or posts about music conversion. Your studies come first, of course (if I hear different, I'll be very disappointed), but when you have the time, this will be a valuable contribution. I envy you this job; my 'mates' and I invented new age music - I have the tapes from 1973 to prove it - and to have all of my music recording ability out of commission at this moment, and on this project, is truly frustrating and ironic. You know, Michael Giacchino, who did the incredible music for 'The Incredibles', among other things, started by making scores for video games...

So yeah, I'm your man for that... the one thing is that some of those files may need additional music added to them to act as a sort of sonic 'glue' to hold more disparate elements together... this is no biggie for me, as I like composing and I also have a a lot of suitable royalty-free samples I wanna try out, but I thought I ought to mention it :)

That's actually a good idea; I saw some good short cuts at that site you might also use.
Forget about increasing the number of culture groups; it's hardcoded AFAIK, unfortunately - unless you also happen to be a programming prodigy as well....

and KA's idea about prepalced units could well be the smartest thing I've ever heard...

Sorry to buck the crowd on this one, but I'm frankly a little skeptical about how that would work in practice, actually, unless we're talking about sound FX. I think we should concentrate on getting a list of what sound files we need to make first..

How often do fidgets play? Wouldn't it be a bit random to being with?

There is no Modding Wiki - as far as C3 content goes. OTOH there are some clear simple explanations of the parameters Civ needs ( file type, sample rate, etc.) in the tutorial section. Start here:
Adding/Specifying Custom Music for Civ3
Customizing Era-Specific Background Music in C3C

On it:coffee:

Edit: hmmm... if you guys want some of that music you've been talking about fitted into it, can you post a url? And do we have permission to use VP's instrumental stuff, because its pretty cool?

You can post links to YouTube videos (or use the [youtube][/youtube] tags) as examples, although I'm not sure what the legal position is on using those. Still, as we're not making any money out of this -or preventing the owners from earning money themselves- then I'd assume we're fine.

Edit: hmmm... if you guys want some of that music you've been talking about fitted into it, can you post a url? And do we have permission to use VP's instrumental stuff, because its pretty cool?

Sam, you need to re-read the thread, there are links infra to all of the music we've discussed.

But, since I'm here:

I packed up the Vernian Process music that I listed and posted it >here<.
And yes, after Josh posted, we got separate email confirmation that it was okay to use the Vernian Process music in this mod. Everything in that rar file is instrumental.

The royalty free music by Kevin MacLeod that King Arthur & I posted lists about (in this post and this post) can be found >here<. Use the Keywords function to find particular pieces.

Generally, the Victorian-sounding pieces will go mostly into the first and second eras. The First Era should open with Curse of Whitechapel by Vernian Process, the Second Era with Danse Macabre from the Royalty Free Music site, I think.
In the middle second era, the player travels to the underground (scary music, and Into the Depths by Vernian Process) and finally finds the Prehistoric World of Pellucidar (African beats, Dragon and Toast by MacLeod, Center of the Earth by Vernian Process)
In the third era, we reach the Moon. Vernian Process' beautiful De La Terre a La Lune is a good example of that era's music - electronic and mystical.
Finally, in the fourth era we reach Barsoom which should have rythmic, but epic music. MacLeod's Colussus is a good example, but also Myst and Exotic Battle.

As far as Diplo music is concerned, I've been thinking about that. Here are some pieces from the Royalty Free Music site that I think would match the cultures:

European Culture: (League, Blackcoats, Britain, Malum Sodalitas, Gothic Union)
"Happy" - Ghost Dance
"Angry" - Agnus Dei X

Asian Culture: (Atlantis, Amoz)
'Happy' - Willow and the Light
'Angry' - Unpromised

Mid-East Culture (Mahar, Cthulhu)
'Happy' - Dark Dance
'Angry' - Redletter

American Culture (Selenites, U-ga)
'Happy' - Darkness is Coming
'Angry' - Gnarled Situation

Mediterranean Culture (All Barsoom Civs)
'Happy' - Desert City
'Angry' - Round Drums

That should start you out. We still need a list posted of all music files.

Just to confirm what Balthasar said: the permissions from VP are officially logged in the staff forum. Including a statement from an older conversation that was had with Hikaro. All that's needed are the usual proper credits - which can be in the readme file accompanying the scenario download.

That should start you out. We still need a list posted of all music files.
I believe there is a list in one of those tutorial threads. If not you or Sam can start a query thread in the main forum.

Top Bottom