My one gripe about Beyond the Sword

mattigus

Warlord
No Leonard Nimoy! :cry:

The guy who does the voices sounds decent, but I mean, if Spock does the quotes for most of the technologies, and some other dude does the other 5, it just doesnt sound right.

However, BtS more than makes up for it with one simple addition: Ability to change the menu theme. Baba Yetu, . .. .. .. .. .es.

I miss Leonard Nimoy, this new smock sounds awful(no offence mate) compared to him, everytime I research Aesthetics a chill goes down my spine when I recieve the "Art for art's sake, is..." brr...

Couldn't agree more. The new guy pales in comparison to Nimoy. And it is a buzzkill to hear Nimoy and then the new guy all of a sudden.

I would also enjoy seeing a new menu screen. That building just doesn't do it for me. The warlord was better imho.

I miss Leonard Nimoy, this new smock sounds awful(no offence mate) compared to him, everytime I research Aesthetics a chill goes down my spine when I recieve the "Art for art's sake, is..." brr...

That "smock" is Sid Meier.

And I don't think he's a great voice actor either, tbh.

That "smock" is Sid Meier.

And I don't think he's a great voice actor either, tbh.

:lol: :lol:

He's okay, but I agree: he's no Leonard Nimoy. But you got to give him some credit for coming up with this whole Civilization thing and all...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I really turn off tech popups because they are a waste of time to me. It bugs me that they are being quite inconsistent with quotes though.

Well do you expect a game designer to be as good a voice actor as an actor?

:lol: :lol:

He's okay, but I agree: he's no Leonard Nimoy. But you got to give him some credit for coming up with this whole Civilization thing and all...

I think we can attribute that one to humanity.

Haven't heard Sid's voice yet, but Nimoy is pretty good for a voice over. I never listened to the quotes anyway though....

I just got reminded of a funny thing a while ago in school. Nimoy did some video about Mount Vesuvius for some History company, "Top vulcanists think that....." (vulcanists being volcanists).

Personally, I don't get why people can't do their own quotes. I mean what, is Isaac Newton too lazy to come to record his voice?

Haven't heard Sid's voice yet, but Nimoy is pretty good for a voice over. I never listened to the quotes anyway though....

I just got reminded of a funny thing a while ago in school. Nimoy did some video about Mount Vesuvius for some History company, "Top vulcanists think that....." (vulcanists being volcanists).

Personally, I don't get why people can't do their own quotes. I mean what, is Isaac Newton too lazy to come to record his voice?

Did you try the tut, I haven't got BtS yet but I assuming the tut is a preview...

Has Sid's voice replaced all existing quotes as well? Or are they split?
Only the new techs are voiced over by Sid.

I guess they couldn't get Nimoy to fill out the gaps in Beyond the Sword. :(

They both went boldly where no man had gone before. Leonard as Spock in Star Trek and Sid tamed HAL.

As Eurogamer put it, he sounds just like you'd expect a middle-aged American game designer to sound. Not quite what the God-style figure announcing you've made some of the greatest discoveries in history should sound like, perhaps...

I hate his voiceover. Its terrible, its worst than terrible it makes me cringe listening and to even compare it with the Nimoy is an insult - and I say this as someone who hasn't even seem most of Star Treck.

I think its just one of those "michael jackson" things where the people around you don't pull you to one side and tell you "this isn't gonna turn out quite as you imagine it in your head" because they're either too afraid or simply don't care enough

Sorry Sid, but you just can't beat Nimoy...
*hides in a cave, shhh, Sid's Gestapomen are just outside*

Wait, that's Sid's voice? I thought I had heard it before...

Top Bottom