My take on why Civ 6 will be a bad game, a 3 pt. podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, game developer companies are evil, they betrayed you, they betrayed everyone, there is no point in buying games and giving in. Life was so much better twelve years ago. With sports and music and Elvis.

Perhaps instead of writing obscure and disconnected manifestos riddled with hard and heavy words, you could for example go outside for a change. Moderator Action: Snip

Moderator Action: You are not qualified to give medical advice, so do not do so. Comment deleted.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Speaking only for myself, I can't seriously consider such an argument as OP offers, coming as it does from someone who has yet to play the (unreleased) complete game.

I'll be more inclined to give his views the time of day once OP has played release version for a few dozen hours.

Until then, best wishes to OP for a speedy and complete recovery.

Let's not conflate the message and the way it is presented. I think the basic concerns are valid and justified, considering that Civ V was flawed in the way Bibor depicts, and Civ VI looks very much like a continuation of Civ V in terms of gameplay.

And now, in a stage were Civ VI is in the later stages of development and developers are probably paying attention to the way the previews are received by the player communities, is a good time to address those concerns. I can imagine that should this thread contribute a bit to turns and decisions being more interesting and meaningful in Civ VI, many of the people criticizing the OP's intentions will be grateful then.

All I know is that I've just been informed that I've wasted 2348 hours of my life playing a bad game and God knows how many on its previous iterations. Spare me.

I do wish OP could give an example of a most excellent PC game design that he purchased recently and which has none of the defects he feels mar the Civ games. That would be an interesting read. I say read because I'm not into podcasts for the most part.

Moderator Action: Please discuss the topic of the OP, not his motivations nor whether he profits from it nor his mental health.

And please cease the discussion of who is trolling. Accusing someone of trolling is to be a troll yourself.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

3. part - transcript for you
12:45 - 13:28
In reality, this is a sh*t game. It really is. You know and (you) it might take hundreds of hours to realize this fact. But you'll find yourself enjoying small things that somehow escaped the developers in this clicking game, and it's actually a challenging decision or something like that, you'll want these moments to happen again, but in reality you'll find yourself you're a moron, because you're enjoying something that's curing your OCD. Instead of, you know, like presenting you with a challenge. This is why civilization series fails....

What part of the message can be discussed exactly? If he is proven wrong, he simply avoids that notion or goes into endless offtopic rambling, the provided examples are usually obscure and make no sense, large part is extremely incoherent anyway. It is all circling back to a really old civ4 vs civ5 argument. Icing on the cake, this is what he calls educated opinion. Luckily for us, uneducated morons, he is here to shed light so we can see the error of our ways.

My question is; who is the bigger moron, the one who has 1900 hours in this game and likes it or the one with the same amount of time who thinks it is sh*t? My bad, who KNOWS it is sh*t. Or is he the smart moron because he sees all the big truths?

Mod me away please, done caring, not worth the time.

How does anyone here enjoy a game believing those that made it hate them and are out to screw you. I stopped finding hate fun years ago.
Being cynical doesn't automatically make you cool.
"I'm not falling for this so I'm smart. Anyone with a positive opinion must be stupid."
It is especially transparent because of how often people hang around to voice their distaste for a game long after they say they've given up on it. The only reason would be to enjoy their sense of superiority over anyone who disagrees with them.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I still don't see why I can't argue that computer games, just like literature, poetry, movies, music, theater should not strive to a higher standard. Is quality of expression not a valid form of advancement? Are we to be perpetually bound to suffer repetitive imagery, simplified writing, 99 cents daily mathematics?

I cast my doubt that what we are about to get with Civ6 is anything beyond "good enough". You are free to disagree. Once I tasted the fruit of excellence, I crossed the point of no return. You're mistaken if you think I somehow want to glorify myself or prove myself right:

For me, playing computer games is a dialogue with the designers. I don't care if that dialogue is about inspired, perhaps flawed, but highly experimental concepts (SMAC) or a dialogue with an experienced, well articulated clockwork (Civ4). But boring dialogues just bore me.

My dialogue with Civ5 is basically an endless repetition of "how was your day?" Even with the person you love, you can ask that same question only that many times before you know all the possible answers.

I still don't see why I can't argue that computer games, just like literature, poetry, movies, music, theater should not strive to a higher standard. Is quality of expression not a valid form of advancement? Are we to be perpetually bound to suffer repetitive imagery, simplified writing, 99 cents daily mathematics?

I cast my doubt that what we are about to get with Civ6 is anything beyond "good enough". You are free to disagree. Once I tasted the fruit of excellence, I crossed the point of no return. You're mistaken if you think I somehow want to glorify myself or prove myself right:

For me, playing computer games is a dialogue with the designers. I don't care if that dialogue is about inspired, perhaps flawed, but highly experimental concepts (SMAC) or a dialogue with an experienced, well articulated clockwork (Civ4). But boring dialogues just bore me.

My dialogue with Civ5 is basically an endless repetition of "how was your day?" Even with the person you love, you can ask that same question only that many times before you know all the possible answers.

Me, I just meet a friend for a long lunch.

Oh god, can someone summarize the argument here in proper text form, please? No, I am not clicking on these videos.

As far as I know, the only criticism elevated has been "it is going to have the same flaws of civ5" (which was, indeed a mediocre game on its vainilla form), but I disgress. All the design decisions revealed so far in civ 6 shows a far deeper understanding of game design and balance than the previous iteration of this game.

Bibor my man, you are a paladín for those who still look for excellence in games and seek challenge in them, that are not contempted with freemium facebook games, sadly our numbers are running slim and the pronostics are grim. Anyways I hope that this disscutions put people to think what they were doing this last years, and what was the motivation for them to play civ5, actual challenge, or to think "I'm awesome"

Couldn't much of your frustration with Civ 5 be addressed by playing multiplayer? If so, I think that indicates that the depth of Civ 5 (and possibly Civ 6) is bottlenecked by bad AI, not the game itself, particularly when it comes to 1upt combat and atrocious diplomacy.

I think the only reason why I find Civ 5 to be so 1 dimensional is because I don't have to ever think to best the AI. High difficulty play is almost always waiting to catch up in tech with the AI and defeat them with better tactics in war. But demanding better AI is fruitless as asking developers to create a simpler game so the AI can handle it better.

..what was the motivation for them to play civ5, actual challenge, or to think "I'm awesome"

Welcome to the Instant Gratification Generation! It's at the core of many issues, including this. Many people don't like to hear it, but it's true. Look around.

What's wrong with playing a game to feel good instead of "having a challenge"? Life is hard enough, games are for entertainment, not for self-gratification.

What's wrong with playing a game to feel good instead of "having a challenge"? Life is hard enough, games are for entertainment, not for self-gratification.

Completely in agreement, but we may differ in how we achieve that feeling of good... and I think that is the key to this dichotomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom