N3S I: Empires Ablaze

In the hills overlooking Rhizon, a middle aged man and a young boy gaze over the land, atop powerful steeds, bred for war...

"Since the tribes first settled in this region of Illyria, there has been infighting. Bickering, squabbling, backbiting, and backstabbing. The chieftains would come together here in Rhizon to settle disputes, although they invariably escalated in the council and lead to minor skirmishes until someone gave up and things went back to the way they were. They have weakened Illyria in their petty bids for meaningless power, looking only at this land we have now. Why, son, why are we continuing to fight for what we already have? We waste resources, lives, and time with this ridiculousness. The chieftains are a plague on our people."

"But Father, are you not the Chieftain of the Delmatae? Are you therefore a plague?"

The older man smiled at the young boy, not yet ten years old and already inquiring endlessly about leadership. Gentius looked into the young lad's curious eyes.

"No, son. I am no longer the Chieftain of the Delmatae."

He paused. The boy was confused, but knew his father would not leave him wanting. The older man took a deep breath and gazed over the vast landscape.

"No, son," he said again, "I am the Chieftain of Illyria."

They turned their horses and began riding back to the city. The old man stared hard ahead, seeing not at the road he rode on, but the path he had yet to ride.

Now I must make those words reality...

For Illyria, the next few years would not be pretty.

North King said:
How would people feel about me introducing the three city system (just to be trendy. ;))? I would naturally "NKify" it a bit, though in some cases there's no need, since I did come up with the original basis of eco centers. ;)

I think it would be a good idea. More economy is always good; it helps liven things up.

Azale hath approveth.

Sure, I don't have much experience with it myself. Be nice to learn it.

I commend it.

Berbers
Player: Luckymoose
Economy: TBD
Size: TBD
Military: TBD
Education: Terrible (0)
Infrastructure: Terrible (0)
Quality of Life: Terrible (0)
Technology: TBD
Government: Monarchy
Religion:Berber Relegion
Culture:
Projects: None yet.

Gotta start somewhere even if its only a small portion of berbers.

NK, can I send my orders on Wednesday, I am going to San Francisco tomorrow and probably won't have internet.

I really don't think so, extremely sorry, but my NES is already so fragile with my updating record that I shouldn't delay. As you don't have hordes of barbarians at the gates, you can always NPC and nothing bad will happen.

The Second Voyage of Kong Nu-rui

Having returned, more or less whole, from his unpleasant adventure to the south, Kong Nu-rui would have been perfectly pleased to settle down and enjoy his wealth. Not well-earned, perhaps, but a great deal of money nonetheless, and the populous seemed to believe that he had the blessings of the ancestors to be so fortunate. Kong Nu-rui knew nothing about any ancestors; he only knew that he never wanted to take another ship on the Nan-hai[1] again. And so, of course, with his extreme bouts of good and poor fortune, that was exactly where Kong Nu-rui ended up not a year later.

Following his return from the cities of the Mons, Kong Nu-rui made a great deal of money trading goods, and made a great deal more as his ships sailed back and forth between Mons and Tong with increasing frequency (each time, of course, without him aboard). Such fortune made him again the wealthiest man in all Tong, and he had little to complain about. The best pickings of the slaves from Tai-wan, the finest goods from Mons and from the warring states of the north, the best education for his beloved sons and a wealthy and influential husband for his beautiful daughter, all of these came to Kong Nu-rui. That is, until a great storm whipped itself up off the coast of Champas and dashed all but two of his ships onto the rocks.

Trade, of course, continued as usually, by land and by sea, and soon other merchants moved in to claim the market once dominated by Kong Nu-rui. He still had a great fortune, but his ships were destroyed, and his monopoly on the sea route to Mons was quickly broken. Financially, he would soon face utter ruin, and might even have to sell the luscious Austronesian slave-girl he had acquired just a month prior. Clearly, something had to be done. So, once more, Kong Nu-rui went before the Council of Elders.

The people, of course, were much amused by this news, and tittered behind his back that the wealthiest man in all Tong made his wealth not by the will of the ancestors, but by favor from the Most Revered, who was Kong Nu-rui’s great uncle’s brother-in-law, and that Kong Nu-rui was himself a spoiled fool. Kong Nu-rui himself was again ashamed to go before the Council, for he had to never do so again, and it was his only hope that the ancestors and, more importantly, the Elders, would spare him another sea voyage. His thoughts were something along the lines of that he was, after all, a year older than he had been a year ago, and none of the Elders could possibly expect him to make a journey by sea again.

He, of course, was wrong. In fact, he was gravely wrong. The first suggestion from the Most Revered was that Kong Nu-rui go abord one of his last two ships himself and sail again southward, this time to a city called Singapore that some of the local traders of the Mons coast had spoken of. Kong Nu-rui was deflated, to say the least, that this was the first suggestion presented by the Elders, but the Most Revered himself insisted that it was the only solution. Kong Nu-rui sighed, and sighed again, and threw up his hands a few times, and generally made a rather comic spectacle of himself before finally agreeing, through clenched teeth, to go through with the voyage.

This time he was not beginning in unknown seas. Though it had been barely more than a year since his past voyage, hundreds of Tong ships had now passed the sea route to Mons, and the coastline of the Champas was peppered with small settlements established by Tong traders. Mean settlements, perhaps, but they allowed for merchants to carry more goods and resupply along the coast. This was exactly what Kong Nu-rui did, though his ships were hardly full to the brim with goods in any case. However, it was not long before the coastline fell back behind him and the two ships were alone in the wide ocean.

Kong Nu-rui was sick three times on this voyage, but the winds were more favorable than expected, and no storms appeared. In fact, by the time land came into sight to the south again, the wind was far lighter than it almost ever was in Tong seas. There were settlements along this new shore, but crude ones, nothing like the city said to exist to the south. They proceeded onwards, and, after five days of hugging the coastline, came upon a more civilized people. Their ships were led to the city of Singapore, and much profit was made. Kong Nu-rui had found the city of Singapore, and he would a third time be the wealthiest merchant in all Tong.

And so it was indeed, and when he returned to Nanhai, he brought with him great riches from Singapore, and the news of another route, and he was again counted as the wealthiest man in all Tong and the luckiest.

[1]Nan-hai: lit. “Southern ocean”, was both the name for ancient Guangzhou and for the South China Sea. (Today the sea is called Nan Zhongguo Hai.)

Orders sent.

Orders from Dacia, Minoa, Illyria, Chavin, Makravi, Assyria, Tong, and Persia.

Orders missing from Athens, Cantabri, Harstad*, Killiks*, Mons, Teutons, Utica, Yan, Zanzibar*.

Orders not from these, but they have excuses: Csilla, Gaul, Mohenjo-Daro, Tartessos, Scythia.

*Will be NPCed without next order set.

Go ahead and update now!! ;)

Those of you who did not send orders and did not explain why properly shall be punished most severely.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to update tonight, so you guys can still send them in. At a penalty.

Top Bottom