Napoleonic Wars

not sure if it's realized or not but you can't set a building as a pre-req for the actual construction of a unit (assuming that it's not autoproduced). it's resources only (and certain civs).

if the brits get colonial infantry units then i would imagine that the other colonial civs should get them too. no? only fair imho :) of course, if you want to tease out some differences in the colonial unit lines then that is fair (ie higher costs for crappier colonial units, differentiation in a/d values, hp allotments etc). granted, having colonial units like this...would require isolation of resources which takes some arranging in the biq file to assure that the phantom resource bug does not appear.

Yes I do realize that we can't use a building as a pre-req and was in fact thinking exactly as you saaid to use it to auto produce units. Particularly with the french as their colonies consist of single towns that are separated/dispersed in most cases. this is also true with most of the other colonies with the exception of the brits. The question here is how do auto-produce more than one type of unit. In other words is there a way to get a build to auto produce a selection of say 2 or 3 different units?

The bigger problem is how do prevent colonies from producing regular units?

There was an ancient roman scenario, can't remember which one right now, that used a region label as a resource (Italy, Carthage, gaul, etc.) perhaps we could do something like that to control the product of homeland/ regular units.

Could you elaborate a bit on the "phantom" resource. I am not familiar with that.

no way to get a single city imp/wonder to spawn more than one type of unit; you would need to make separate imp's/wonders to spawn the different units :)

preventing the colonies from building the regular/homeland army units is pretty simple. you need to isolate the resource required to build these 'regular' units. by isolate, i mean that you need to make 100% sure that the resource required to build, say, a British Line Infantry (or something like that) doesn't reach the colonies.

you can isolate resources a few different ways. the easiest way, in this example of british units, is to put the required resource only in the British Isles...and to nip out the ability to trade over ocean tiles (so it doesn't reach the colonies).

we did this extensively in AoI where we cut off resources and restricted them from ever reaching certain parts of the map (ie Industry resource never, ever makes it way to the colonial sectors). and the Industry resource is what's req'd to build the regular Brit infantry units. it works the same way, too, w/ the Colonialism resource. it never, ever makes it way to areas w/ the Industry resource.

the "phantom" resource bug is a pita and it occurs when the resources in the editor aren't ordered correctly, there's a specific order that they need to be put in. don't have it right in front of me right now but there's a specific format, i can get it to you later if need be - but it'd be needed only if you chose to 'isolate'. now, if they're not in order, and you go the 'isolate' route, there's a chance that, say, the Industry resource will appear in the strategic resource box for a city in the colonial sector (major pita).

anyhow :) long story short, if you want a colonial sector AND an industry sector (for lack of a better name considering the time frame, it's what we use in AoI), you'll absolutely need to order the resources correctly in the editor.

Here is a pretty detailed thread on the phantom resource bug.

To summarize the thread, make sure that 1) you don't have any more than 32 strategic and luxury resources combined and 2) that you place the strat/lux resources before any bonus resources. (EDIT: point 2 isn't completely necessary, it just makes life a lot easier!)

What I do, is delete all resources, add 32 "blank" strategic resources, rename and such the ones I actually want to use, then add the bonus resources. That way, if you ever wanted to add an extra strategic resource, you can simply rename one of the blanks, instead of having to work out whether its index is +32 from another's.

I think the isolation route is the best way of going and that was what I was planning on. I am glad you brought up the specific ordering of the resourses as I was not aware of that. Please send that to me when you get a chance. I have already isolated the colonies by not allowing tade over ocean tiles. As I am using reverse capture the flag to create treasure to ship back to the homelands from colonies. Same as was done in the TGR Scenario.

Hi, played your scenario as the US for (gamelength) a year when I decided to quit. The reason is nothings happens. The turns represent a week but it takes 20 - 120 turns, 40 turns on average, for something to build. I would suggest to decrease the buildfactor by a factor of 4 or 5 and call the gameturnlenth a month. Gives the player the one more turn syndrome civ is famous for.
Thanks.

What about the African colonies. If the AI were to build a pan-Saharan road it would have access to the 'homeland' resources.

What about the African colonies. If the AI were to build a pan-Saharan road it would have access to the 'homeland' resources.

India would still be isolated but that could affect the african colonies IF any of the european nations conquer enough zulu towns and some key arab towns to establish a trade route or get a right of passage. the north and south americas would still be isolated.

Hi, played your scenario as the US for (gamelength) a year when I decided to quit. The reason is nothings happens. The turns represent a week but it takes 20 - 120 turns, 40 turns on average, for something to build. I would suggest to decrease the buildfactor by a factor of 4 or 5 and call the gameturnlenth a month. Gives the player the one more turn syndrome civ is famous for.
Thanks.

This scenario is still in beta release. Right now we are trying to make sure that everything is working properly and ironing out some game design features and concepts. We are working on unit capabilities, movement rates, and some other fine details. You are correct that the game pace is slow and build factor will need to be adjusted. Adjusting the game turn length and build factors may indeed be what is needed. As soon as I finish cleaning up the isolation problem and unit availability (colony vs Homeland) I will take a look at the build factors and turn length. These are all things that can be easily adjusted without players having to download the main file all over again.

What is the limit on the number of buildings and resources? Is there any limit on the number of Great Wonders, Small Wonders?

I create 2 resources, colony and homeland. I placed them in there respective locations and am testing them now. They seem to be working.

NUCFLASH - how are you doing with the units?

around line 1293 I think in the pediaicon txt file there is an error.

It should read as follows:

#ICON_PRTO_BritishColonialFoot
art\civilopedia\icons\units\BritishColonialFootlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\BritishColonialFootsmall.pcx
#ICON_PRTO_SwissGuardPRTO_SwissGuard
art\civilopedia\icons\units\SwissL.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\SwissS.pcx

no, the limit for buildings is 255 +1 for the capital.

@The Guardian
be sure to disable sea trade too since those resources can flow over those tiles if enabled. the link that Virote gave for the resource overflow/phantom stuff is perfect. read through that really well and you'll get a firm grasp on what to look out for.

another thing to consider if the isolation route is chosen is to cut off certain land routes on the map. for example, you'll have to create a Suez in n africa to keep the colonialism resource from flowing through the middle east, into turkey, and into europe. there are a few areas on the map that you'll have to really look at to keep w/ the isolation thing.

re the resource limit - Vuldacon advised me not long ago that if you arrange the sequence per the requisite order (ie the order probably given in Virote's link) that you can have hundreds and hundreds of resources :eek: of course, you probably won't need that many. however, if the limit is, say, 32, and you want 33, then you could add a second 'bloc' of resources after the first one (by bloc i mean that they need to be arranged exactly in order and then repeat the process after resource no.32). seems confusing, yes :D and most likely, you'll be able to get all of the resources into that first bloc.

The second bloc thing doesn't work; it was tested in the thread I linked to, and the tests came back negative :(

The problem is, if you have resource #32, it doesn't just give you resource #64, but also resource #96, resource #128, resource #160 and so on and so forth :(

The second bloc thing doesn't work; it was tested in the thread I linked to, and the tests came back negative :(

The problem is, if you have resource #32, it doesn't just give you resource #64, but also resource #96, resource #128, resource #160 and so on and so forth :(

Excellent thread guys. Really makes it clear. I get the part about phantom resources if you have more than 32, but did I understand correctly? If I have 32 or less resources I don't need to worry about phantom resources at all, or is that still a problem if all cities are not "connected".

32 or less luxury or strategic resources, then yeah, so long as they're ordered properly, you won't need to care about the bug. You don't need to worry about bonus resources; you can have as many of those as you want.

32 or less luxury or strategic resources, then yeah, so long as they're ordered properly, you won't need to care about the bug. You don't need to worry about bonus resources; you can have as many of those as you want.

By ordered properly, do mean in the resource pcx or how they are listed?

no, the limit for buildings is 255 +1 for the capital.

@The Guardian
be sure to disable sea trade too since those resources can flow over those tiles if enabled. the link that Virote gave for the resource overflow/phantom stuff is perfect. read through that really well and you'll get a firm grasp on what to look out for.

another thing to consider if the isolation route is chosen is to cut off certain land routes on the map. for example, you'll have to create a Suez in n africa to keep the colonialism resource from flowing through the middle east, into turkey, and into europe. there are a few areas on the map that you'll have to really look at to keep w/ the isolation thing.

N. and S. america are completely isolated so no problem there. Most of the british colonies are in india and east africa, except for 4 colonies in W Africa. I can you are correct about cutting sea trade also. That would effectively cut off the british. The colony resource that I am using is a non tradable luxury resource.

I don't understand, why Suez?

By ordered properly, do mean in the resource pcx or how they are listed?

How they are listed, although to be on the safe side, I make sure that the position of the .pcx icon matches the position in the editor.

I don't understand, why Suez?

Because that's the only location where Africa is connected to the rest of the world.

i haven't looked at the map :blush: so i don't know for sure which areas to 'cut off'. but it wouldn't be hard to find these areas...just look for the places where the colonial resource might flow to a homeland area and vice versa.

for AoI, we seal off central america (colonialism in c america down to s america), anatolia from the middle east and the caucuses, suez, and a long east-west line at the top of the indian subcontinent (sealing off persia, punjab, india proper, bangledesh, and china [along russian border]). sounds daunting but once it's done, it ain't so bad :) we substituted in an impassable terrain for the marsh.

Virote is right about the resources. to be safe, place them on the sheet in the same order that they appear in the editor per the method to dummy-proof the phantom resource thing.

Top Bottom