Nato vs Russia Mod

Tomcraft

Chieftain
Hey guys,

after a very long gaming break i wanted to come back to Civ 6 and wondered if there is a mod / scenario, in which you could play the civilization "NATO" (or members of NATO) or Russia in a modern conflict with each other, preferably with Ukraine as an enemy of Russia included. I checked the workshop on steam and also googled for it and surprisingly I could not find anything.

Could you guys recommend anything (if available)? Thank you very much!

Tom

Hey guys,

after a very long gaming break i wanted to come back to Civ 6 and wondered if there is a mod / scenario, in which you could play the civilization "NATO" (or members of NATO) or Russia in a modern conflict with each other, preferably with Ukraine as an enemy of Russia included. I checked the workshop on steam and also googled for it and surprisingly I could not find anything.

Tom
A bit close to home, especially once the nukes (even if they're virtual) start inevitably flying.

The closest thing I can think of would be get a True Start Europe map from the workshop and make a multiplayer game. Add the civs you want an place them on there respective teams, and mark it private.

Many long years ago, there was a board game produced by the Strategy & Tactics publishing group called Fulda Gap, which tried to simulate an operational clash between the (then) USSR and Warsaw Pact nations and NATO. What is still applicable is that the instructions for when/if the war went Nuclear called for the gamer to take a container of lighter fluid, cover the map with the liquid, and light it.

The modern equivalent, I suppose, would be to have a large electromagnet mounted right next to your hard drive which receives a signal turning it on whenever you hit the key that initiates a nuclear strike in the game . . .

"Oh we'll all go together, when we go
Every Hottentot and every Eskmo
You can sing out, "Tweedledeum"
When you see that ICBM
For we'll all go together, when we go!"
- Tom Lehrer, 1959

Many long years ago, there was a board game produced by the Strategy & Tactics publishing group called Fulda Gap, which tried to simulate an operational clash between the (then) USSR and Warsaw Pact nations and NATO. What is still applicable is that the instructions for when/if the war went Nuclear called for the gamer to take a container of lighter fluid, cover the map with the liquid, and light it.

And here I thought "Risk Legacy" started the "permanently modify your board game" trend :)

The modern equivalent, I suppose, would be to have a large electromagnet mounted right next to your hard drive which receives a signal turning it on whenever you hit the key that initiates a nuclear strike in the game . . .

"Oh we'll all go together, when we go
Every Hottentot and every Eskmo
You can sing out, "Tweedledeum"
When you see that ICBM
For we'll all go together, when we go!"
- Tom Lehrer, 1959
Victory Games, "Persian Gulf Strike," which got a reissue in 1991 with a Persian Gulf War scenario added, while not as extreme, had two instances that would start a nuclear war in the base Cold War scenarios (not the Persian Gulf War one added later), and just said, if that either happended, both the United States and Middle Eastern Allies/Proxy States player and the Soviet Union and Middle Eastern Allies/Proxy States player both lost, completely and instantly, though didn't advise the destruction of the physical game.

As opposed to Twilight Struggle where, apparently, whoever gets the blame in the last few minutes (or among the survivors centuries down the road) is the loser (that is to say, whoever's turn it was when nuclear war started).

Which is a little dubious, but which does have the benefit of creating a situation that favors nuclear brinkmanship over détente - you *don't* want to start a nuclear war, but you *do* want to keep the game hovering on the edge of it, where your opponent must be very careful never to create even a chance for nuclear war happening on their own turn.

As opposed to Twilight Struggle where, apparently, whoever gets the blame in the last few minutes (or among the survivors centuries down the road) is the loser (that is to say, whoever's turn it was when nuclear war started).

Which is a little dubious, but which does have the benefit of creating a situation that favors nuclear brinkmanship over détente - you *don't* want to start a nuclear war, but you *do* want to keep the game hovering on the edge of it, where your opponent must be very careful never to create even a chance for nuclear war happening on their own turn.
Tom Clancy's, "Red Storm Rising," one of very popular fictional renditions of a NATO vs. Warsaw Pact Third World War where no nuclear launch happens quotes a lot of fear, yet brinkmanship and sabre-rattling, by the leaders on both sides, with, "First Strike," and, "the Dead Man's Switch," replaced with, "we'll push the button only if our sattelites detect a launch on the other side."

The Soviet Union actually had a Doctrine that they pursued for decades that basically assumed they could fight a nuclear war and win, by being prepared to survive all the blast, fallout, on-going nuclear pollution, etc.

Then came Chernobyl.
I read an interesting article, an interview with a Soviet general from the high command by a Russian journalist, and basically the general said that Chernobyl scared the C**p out of the entire Soviet General Staff, because they suddenly realized that all their calculations were so much Garbage, because with the bulk of all their resources, they couldn't even clean up a relatively minor reactor spill, and so had no chance at all of cleaning up or surviving a major nuclear warhead exchange. At a stroke, 40 years of planning and expectations went up in smoke.

And somewhat later, came a version of Civ in which the nuclear residue from an atomic strike could be magically cleaned up by moving a few workers over it. It was sometime around then that I realized just how much complete fantasy the game designers were indulging in . . .

Hey guys,

Tom

Idk where are you from, but here in Eastern Europe we don't find this topic of "a ton of people dying right now" very entertaining, hence nobody sane from the region really wants to make a fun hobby game about "oh god for real hundreds of thousands of people are killed and wounded and millions are refugees and the killing is ongoing", you know, just a tiny little bit of "a ton of dead people and half of continent being very scared" kinda kills the vibe

Top Bottom