Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I dunno!?

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kevinicus

I was thinking if they could add nature catastrophes!
A volcano for instance where it explodes and it could possibly destroy a city, or damage it, and the land around it.
Or floods, by big long rivers or alongt coasts and such.
Earthquakes once once in a while!
I mean, maybe just add that in the options, so if you want more volcanos, but less floods you can change that and such.
How bout it?

I said no.

Maybe it could be done, but i'd only want to see it if the effects weren't too bad . I don't want my capital being destroyed by a giant mutant chicken or anything. And it has to happen to the AI as much as it happens to me. Or More. And I want to hear about it if it does.

I don't think I would like that... On the idea, it sounds great, but :
1. I would hate to loose because of something I can not prevent, or plan...
2. I think I'll always have the feeling the AI is hit a lot less by me :). Then some studies would be made and we would discover there are specific rules appying to the AI :lol:

NO!

Civ 3 is on a far bigger scale, if you simulate seasons and stuff, then we could have them, too. but now it would be another freaking random thing.

I'd like to have them in games like AOE3 though :)

ABSOLUTELY - NO!

I don't want to have my first city on a river suffer a flood, and lose the only building it built.

I would agree with the rest, that natural disasters would only ruin the game where already almost everyone is complaining that the AI cheats and the game sucks.

Maybe allow scripted events in the map editor in the up-coming PTW that allows the destruction of buildings in certain cities and such, perhaps.

Originally posted by Alphidius
I would agree with the rest, that natural disasters would only ruin the game where already almost everyone is complaining that the AI cheats and the game sucks.

Wow wow wow. The AI cheats, ok, I think everybody complains about that. But the game sucks ? :confused:
Or do you mean that every member in this forum just needs to talk to someone very badly ?? :lol:

Well, there would also be improvements to avoid things like that from happening too, a Dam, against volcanos...I dunno, but let's see wut else comes

I voted yes.

If there would be a checkbox in the editor where you can toggle it on or off no one would be hurt.

And it will add a little bit more surprise to the game.

By the way do you know the Minoer on Krete and their great flood?:p

Masquerouge: Sorry was alittle rough there :o My apologies

Kevinicus: Yeah disaster was in Civ1 and certain improvements prevented certain disasters

Shala: I agree with you. Only with the option to turn it on or off, will it please all civ players

Originally posted by Kevinicus
I mean, maybe just add that in the options, so if you want more volcanos, but less floods you can change that and such.
How bout it?
By that I meant the ability to turn it off or on
:arrow:
;)

Kevinicus: Ohh.. I see. I thought you're referring to the different types of disasters that must be in each game. If there's an option to turn it off then it won't be that bad. Miscommunication I think :D

Lots of people mention natural disasters as being a good thing for a game like Civ. But I'd actually like to see your face when that nearby mountain erupts and dissolves your size 12 city producing the Sistine Chapel.

:p

In Civ1 they only destroyed city improvements, or killed off a pop point or two, like the disease now. ie, barracks prevented pirate raids etc. city walls prevented flood. don't know about others, but the whole town wasn't destroyed.

Just a matter of priorities.

More random disasters that increase the "skinner box" effect that is already built into the game with the random number generator creating results that vary widely from turn to turn in:
  1. AI decision making
  2. Goody Hut Yield
  3. Barbarian Spawning and Locations
  4. Resource Evaporation based only on Random Numbers and not usage
    [/list=1]

Just to name a few of the things that already create randomness in the actual game

The programming effort to reinvent natural disasters could better be spent on AI performance upgrades.

Top Bottom