New Game Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing such a system would allow is a way to implement logistical support of military units.
Exactly. Part of the equipment and inventory mod and the criminal enhancements that will allow.

Large PerfectMongoose 310 map, 12 civs, Snail, Deity/Nightmare difficulty. No TD, Teleport Hunting Awards, no Peace Among NPCs this time.
I just reached Classical Lifestyle at turn 786, around 2400 BC. I've expanded to 18 cities, including conquering my two nearest neighbors, Sioux and Celts, with 100% :science: being around 2900 :science: per turn, though I can only maintain around 85% :science: rate without Wealth. I've been more focused in my research this game as well, without detours to grab non-essential techs, but I'm definitely not the tech leader, as the Great Wall has just been built by an uncontacted AI. I've founded Mesopotamianism, Zoroastrianism, and Judaism, and conquered the Tengri Holy City, and have access to both Druidism and Shamanism as the result of favored religion spread to the two conquered AIs. I've also managed to swipe a few cities from the Chinese and Assyrians, who are at the far end of my continent, so I have access to four Culture groups, and I have more than enough room to expand into once my economy can handle it.

The fact that I haven't caught up to the AI in technology yet is definitely a good sign, considering the difficulty/handicap settings. The overall tech progress rate also feels good, all in all, I definitely approve of the new speeds and settings.

Thank you Tripped for the report, very much appreciated.

JosEPh :)

This game has been played on SVN 9322 only.

Standard map 7 civs. (hemispheres), Noble level, Marathon speed, Space Race only. I use Tech diffusion, no trait options. The only change I make is MinCityDistance = 3 (default 2).

Only create golden ages from buildings or when only 1st. unit is used. (do not want to lose the general or engineer, I have been saving).

Did not use size matters (screen shot of most options.).

Note I tried to research most techs before advancing to the next level. So I did not reach Sed. Life. first.

Before reaching Sed. Life. reseach did get down to 0% at some parts of the game, due to lesser gold and using Espionage slider to keep up with AI. But was up to 100% when reaching it. Stayed at that level ever since.

Era's

Ancient - turn 374, date 5659 BC,
6 cities (known others 4 and 3). Gold 474, +1 per turn.
Tech time 4 turns.

Classic - turn 566, date 3259 BC,
18 cities (known others 8 and 6). Gold 23396, +703 per turn.
Tech time 3 turns. (At war.)

Medieval - turn 653, date 2171 BC,
30 cities (known others 6). Gold 169,634, +4005 per turn.
Tech time 2 turns.

Renasiance - turn 723, date 1385 BC,
36 cities (others 24, 9, 7, 2). Gold 633,105, +14458 per turn.
Tech time 1 turn.

One AI civ is still on a par with research .

Screen shots of options and each era's Finance screen.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for the info harrier! :)

Getting a report from a player using Snail that once you hit Ind Era the dates take off like a rocket. If you see it let me know okay?

JosEPh

This game has been played on SVN 9322 only.

Standard map 7 civs. (hemispheres), Noble level, Marathon speed, Space Race only. I use Tech diffusion, no trait options. The only change I make is MinCityDistance = 3 (default 2).

Only create golden ages from buildings or when only 1st. unit is used. (do not want to lose the general or engineer, I have been saving).

Did not use size matters (screen shot of most options.).

Note I tried to research most techs before advancing to the next level. So I did not reach Sed. Life. first.

Before reaching Sed. Life. reseach did get down to 0% at some parts of the game, due to lesser gold and using Espionage slider to keep up with AI. But was up to 100% when reaching it. Stayed at that level ever since.

Era's

Ancient - turn 374, date 5659 BC,
6 cities (known others 4 and 3). Gold 474, +1 per turn.
Tech time 4 turns.

Classic - turn 566, date 3259 BC,
18 cities (known others 8 and 6). Gold 23396, +703 per turn.
Tech time 3 turns. (At war.)

Medieval - turn 653, date 2171 BC,
30 cities (known others 6). Gold 169,634, +4005 per turn.
Tech time 2 turns.

Renasiance - turn 723, date 1385 BC,
36 cities (others 24, 9, 7, 2). Gold 633,105, +14458 per turn.
Tech time 1 turn.

One AI civ is still on a par with research .

Screen shots of options and each era's Finance screen.

Tech Diffusion on a map that has close neighbors early will speed up Research and with that also Gold.

The Dates for achieving the next Era were pretty close to target for the 1st 3 eras. But after that they are speeding up. But 9322 is before the adjustments made in 9328.

Still more usable data to get a better overall picture.

Again Thanks for the report.

ATM though RL is keeping me from doing any more adjusting to the Game Speeds and Eras. Hopefully in another week or 2 my Big Shed saving project will be over. I have not done any roofing work for the last 18 years and my soon to be 65 yr old body is protesting mightily. :cringe::old::cry:

JosEPh

I have not done any roofing work for the last 18 years and my soon to be 65 yr old body is protesting mightily.
Roofing is a rough task. Did some roofing, mostly tearoff on gravel roofs, a decade or so ago. Don't think I'd be able to keep up with the crew these days. I may be younger but I'm starting to feel some age myself. We put a bed together from IKEA yesterday and OMG do I ache today.

*points and laughs at the :old::old:* More seriously though, good luck with it, and take care not to push yourself too hard and be careful.

Regarding my previous game, it's been abandoned due to the latest SVN breaking saves, but I did manage to catch up to and surpass the remaining AIs somewhere in the late Classical to early Medieval. By the time I got Optics and fully explored the remainder of the world, it was pretty clear I've pulled well ahead.

As far as dates lining up with the calendar goes, I honestly don't think there's much point in trying to get it to precisely match actual history to within more than maybe 100-200 years either way at Renaissance and later. Too much depends on game options and how the situation ingame plays out, especially if a human player achieves a commanding lead. I think keying the dates to the progress of the strongest AI player(s) that haven't had any contact with a human player is probably a better benchmark than the progress of the human player themselves. Granted, that can fall apart badly for later eras as well, due to AI incompetence, but especially for later eras, the degree of domination that a human player can or has achieved can lead to tremendous variability in the rate of era progression.

Tech Diffusion really distorts the "targeted date ranges" for next era. I'm now of the opinion that TD needs to be reduced in it's strength, scaled back at least 33%.

The 2 games that I have seen posted with very advanced dates for Ind/Modern Eras, I need more info on. And the only 2 I've seen are SO's and Reiskae's game reports. Otherwise the majority of the reports are lining up fairly well in the early game (1st 3 eras). Those that really take off starting with the Med era and onward are using TD for the most part. So the distortion ramps up pretty fast from that point.

But for now I can't really dig into it very hard.

JosEPh

Theoretically, TD should have no effect on the player researching a tech no other player has researched and therefore only play a role to help nations keep up with each other. However, in some recent test games which did not go on for long, I did notice that all you have to do, even if you're 'the tech leader' to take full advantage of it, is to beeline for a tech and let other known nations go for all the techs you're ignoring, and then circle back around to quickly grab them all. Of course, they will benefit from your developments as they go after the techs you stretched out to get, and as a result, globally, the world progresses much faster. This is much the same effect as you get when you have any sort of tech trading available. I'm still heavily debating as to whether or not I think it's good or bad for gameplay. It certainly helps those that fall behind which is good to curtail some of the steam roll, but this effect it has of distorting the tech progress is a little concerning.

For now I'm doing all my testing with TD Off, and Emperor, Immortal, and Deity Diff levels. Game speeds are Marathon and Epic. Snail and above just takes way too much time to play thru for testing. And I don't like handing the game over to the AI for extended time. That to me just seems to be AI vs AI and doesn't tell how the play of the AI stacks up to human player.

I'm still of the opinion that TD needs a reduction in strength by ~20-30%.

@All,
Anyone with a game up to med to ren era yet? Would like to see some dates for these Eras when they were achieved. Along with what Diff and GS used.

JosEPh

For now I'm doing all my testing with TD Off, and Emperor, Immortal, and Deity Diff levels. Game speeds are Marathon and Epic. Snail and above just takes way too much time to play thru for testing. And I don't like handing the game over to the AI for extended time. That to me just seems to be AI vs AI and doesn't tell how the play of the AI stacks up to human player.

@All,
Anyone with a game up to med to ren era yet? Would like to see some dates for these Eras when they were achieved. Along with what Diff and GS used.

JosEPh
Yeah made it Med era, just before ur post, am playing on Marathon, Large World . .right now it is on Monarch Diff, also, playing on Flex Diff . . . up to Noble, at least that is what i set it for . . see pic. .

Attachments

• settings.JPG
    settings.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 46
By all means if you know where the globals that control this system are, I agree.
I'm not quite there yet in our test game on snail. But we're still ancient and I noticed we're at about 100 BC or so. My research rates have sucked a bit because of a problem with the criminal system so I feel I'm a bit behind what the normal curve would be. It's a team game... not sure if my wife has been holding back or not but she was off to a better start than me. I'm also still struggling to get any metal at all for forges. Keeping up on buildings has been tremendously challenging for me but she's had better production so she's feeling like she spends too much time without anything to build. So we're probably about right on that side of things. Will be doing even better once the baseline production cost chart is applied and we recalibrate. This stage of the game, in particular, things are just too cheap in general and it's a matter of the overall curvature of cost build up not being correct. Nothing globals can or should try to solve.

Yeah made it Med era, just before ur post, am playing on Marathon, Large World . .right now it is on Monarch Diff, also, playing on Flex Diff . . . up to Noble, at least that is what i set it for . . see pic. .
I'm willing to be he'll need you to let him know what date you're at having just made it to Med Era.

My research rates have sucked a bit because of a problem with the criminal system
Yeah i have noticed i need about 15-20 guards in each city lately . .and thats just to keep it at a 0 status of going up or down . .

Yeah i have noticed i need about 15-20 guards in each city lately . .and thats just to keep it at a 0 status of going up or down . .
It shouldn't be so bad if you stay on top of it but as soon as you let it slip and you get some criminals spawning in the city or let a player get some of his criminals into your city you'll quickly start having to fight a tide of crime, which is cool but the investigation system wasn't working properly so it wouldn't let you get rid of the criminals like you should be able to (a problem that was likely only on Hide and Seek but has just recently been repaired.)

Also don't forget to get a little more crime control by using your anti-crime buildup option rather than just fortifying.

What is your current date SO? Hopefully you are around 400-700AD when you hit Med Era.

By all means if you know where the globals that control this system are, I agree.
I think I do.

If Whisperr and you are at 100BC and still in Ancient on Snail then you are somewhat behind. What Diff Lvl?

Note: Also if you are using Nightmare Mode then that Deity is actually on a level between regular Diff Lvls Immortal and Deity. I just did some checking this morning and SO's Nightmare Mode needs some adjusting.

JosEPh

If Whisperr and you are at 100BC and still in Ancient on Snail then you are somewhat behind. What Diff Lvl?
We're ahead of the AI but we've been making it hell on them with strike teams and criminals too. Those within reach anyhow... it's a Giant map. Difficulty is Monarch. Figured I'd be optimistic about the AI's abilities. A few have nearly kept up with us until we began harassing them.

We've witnessed a fairly successful AI VS AI war as well. I though it was a little premature but they were fairly close to each other and one must've done something to really PO the other. The invader pretty well laid waste to his enemy.

The primary inhibitor to growth for me has been production, budget and crime (which may have had a lot to do with budget too.) It's a good economic challenge this game. I need to have a city or two building wealth or I'm in trouble. If the AI is suffering this much economic strain then I need to get in and teach them how to build wealth strategically a little better at some point.

It shouldn't be so bad if you stay on top of it but as soon as you let it slip and you get some criminals spawning in the city or let a player get some of his criminals into your city you'll quickly start having to fight a tide of crime, which is cool but the investigation system wasn't working properly so it wouldn't let you get rid of the criminals like you should be able to (a problem that was likely only on Hide and Seek but has just recently been repaired.)

Also don't forget to get a little more crime control by using your anti-crime buildup option rather than just fortifying.

When I start having more than 2 LE units in a city every other one gets put on Inspection. Crime-Inspection-Crime-Inspection, etc..

When I start having more than 2 LE units in a city every other one gets put on Inspection. Crime-Inspection-Crime-Inspection, etc..
I'd only bother with one primary inspector. Any other LE units are only adding like 1% (or 10% - can't recall at the moment) of their inspection values to the total inspection levels so most of those secondary ones on inspection aren't helping as much as you'd hope.

We're ahead of the AI but we've been making it hell on them with strike teams and criminals too. Those within reach anyhow... it's a Giant map. Difficulty is Monarch. Figured I'd be optimistic about the AI's abilities. A few have nearly kept up with us until we began harassing them.

We've witnessed a fairly successful AI VS AI war as well. I though it was a little premature but they were fairly close to each other and one must've done something to really PO the other. The invader pretty well laid waste to his enemy.

The primary inhibitor to growth for me has been production, budget and crime (which may have had a lot to do with budget too.) It's a good economic challenge this game. I need to have a city or two building wealth or I'm in trouble. If the AI is suffering this much economic strain then I need to get in and teach them how to build wealth strategically a little better at some point.

I would assume you don't have Tech D On then.

JosEPh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom