New NESes, ideas, development, etc

So I was thinking of making a pretty basic magic NES. The players would start as a nomadic group escaping some untold horror in their old lands, and escape over a land bridge into a new landmass. The landmass would largely be hidden at the beginning of the NES, and players would tell me what sort of geography they want their people to settle in. Once everyone has given an outline of their group and where they want to settle, I'll do a little BT, getting everyone situated in their preferred spots.

Then it'll continue like a "regular" NES, with stats for each country and group, with some magic and various creatures (basically stereotypical fantasy stuff :p ). Anyone interested?

Yes, very actually. Were you thinking one race or multiple?

I'd certainly like to join, fantasy fresh start = :)

Allowing players to choose where they settle wouldn't work. Make the first stage of the NES about exploration and discovery, and have them explore the new world that they've fled to.

I was sort of thinking of something similar at one point. What I was thinking is that each player is a powerful sorcerer, sent to a world. You build your citadel and send scouts out to find settlements. You conquer settlements and build a fantasy empire (much like Masters of Magic or the Heroes of Might & Magic series). Each settlement has a specific race, and each race can provide certain benefits (like elven cities would be able to create woodsmen or units that fight best in wooded areas or excellent archers, dwarves might have units that are heavily armored, humans would be able to create well-disciplined military brigades, orcs would be good at looting). and I was thinking in turn the development of your empire becomes important, and eventually relations with your neighbors. You don't pick just one race, but you envelop settlements as you find them and conquer them / diplomatically annex them. So your kingdom can encompass many different races and types of people. But perhaps each player can be a race of their choice, and annexing settlements of that race would provide extra benefits. Then you use those settlements' special advantages to further the goals of your kingdom. You could focus on military expansion, or perhaps take a more peaceful route and build roads between settlements of different races to promote the unity of your kingdom under your rule and to promote trade. Each settlement could also have unique items they trade that give certain effects.

The backstory would be something like that these sorcerers are fleeing their homelands because of some sort of magical disturbance and must establish kingdoms on a "crossroads" continents of sorts. They have all undergone some sort of trial and have proven themselves as sorcerers or wizards in the past. Now, unable to return to their mystical homelands (maybe all other areas in the world besides the starting continent have been completely annihilated by some sort of magical apocalyptic event), they have all been brought to this single continent and must forge an empire from scratch.

So I was thinking of making a pretty basic magic NES. The players would start as a nomadic group escaping some untold horror in their old lands, and escape over a land bridge into a new landmass. The landmass would largely be hidden at the beginning of the NES, and players would tell me what sort of geography they want their people to settle in. Once everyone has given an outline of their group and where they want to settle, I'll do a little BT, getting everyone situated in their preferred spots.

Then it'll continue like a "regular" NES, with stats for each country and group, with some magic and various creatures (basically stereotypical fantasy stuff :p ). Anyone interested?

I think it's a very good idea. I would really like seeing a human-intensive fantasy NES (I think humans should be the majority in most fantasy settings but that's just an opinion). If you let players describe a kind of culture and give a first turn orders of "We look for an empty coast with good harbor" or "We search the continent until we find a forest with a mountain in the middle and two rivers flowing from it, one to the north, one to the south, as seen in the dreams of Hulussuhuhi'Bash'Traar the prophet", it can make for interesting starts. Obviously, those who settled the coast probably managed to grow a lot while the forest-mountain-river seekers may have travelled across half the continent, lost most of their numbers to tigers, diseases, goblins and enraged newts, but they may have finally found the place of their dreams without running into that other "Hey, we want to settle that nice coast" tribe?

Speaking of fantasy NES, I was thinking of a NES where each player would have access to a magic lamp, with a djinn inside, granting exactly one wish per update (which may be a year, century or some weird conjunction of planets, moons, stars and whatnot).
The wishes would basically be unlimited in power except that they would have to be simple sentences, and the most extravagant ones would always be granted in the letter, not the spirit.
I realise this would be quite hard to moderate, as a wish granted in the spirit and one to the letter could make a huge difference in terms of results. I also think it could be fun.

OK, this is a potential TL for my steampunk/magitek idea:
1845: certain ancient monuments, such as Stonehenge, the Pyramids of Giza, the Taj Mahal or Chichen Itzá start to shine without any reason. People living nearby them start to show strange abilities, such as control over fire or water.
1850: all around the world, dragons start to wake up, after having slept for thousands of years. A few of them are feral, some more are quite intelligent and wish to control humanity, but most are willing to help humans. They explain to humanity that what is happening is magic. There are many riots of religious origin against magically able people, but things are quite shaken up when the Catholic Pope publishes an enciclical in which he asks all Christians not to act violently against magically able people, but to convert them to Christianity so that they may use those powers for good. There are rumours that the Pope himself is able to practice magic, but none of those rumours are confirmed.
1855: Slowly, the use of magic has permeated through the population as it becomes more useful for everyone's everyday's lives. The United Kingdom, having direct access to several of the most powerful magical sites (Stonehenge in the Isles, Taj Mahal in India, the Pyramids in Egypt, Uluru in Australia) becomes even more powerful thanks to these places, and the Industrial Revolution that had started the previous century becomes a Magitek Revolution, with magic becoming a part of industrial processes. While this destroys many jobs, it also creates many more jobs as new markets of all kinds are opened to the people.
1860: the election of Abraham Lincoln to the office of President of the United States sparks the secession of South Carolina from the Union.
1861: the attack on Fort Sumter starts the American Civil War.
1862: with a stalemate on the field, Abraham Lincoln pushes into law the Emancipation Proclamation, by which all slaves within the Union and the Confederacy are to be freed. Several riots happen in the borders states that still have slaves, but threats of further secession are brought down thanks to the Magic branch of the Army.
1863: Lincoln, using magical means, approaches the main remaining Native American tribes in the Union. He promises to allow all of them to live in several territories (Arizona or Oklahoma) where they will be able to live free of white man settlement, provided that they eventually become states of the Union, if they help the Union in the war against the South with their shamanic powers. After a discussion, they agree.
1864: thanks to the alliance with the Native American tribes, as well as their better armed armies, the Union brings the Confederacy down. Slaves are freed and allowed to move towards the west to settle there.
1865: after being chosen to be the President of the USA for a second time, after riding on the success of winning the American Civil War, Lincoln keeps his promise and establishes the Territories of Oklahoma and Arizona as Native American. Heavy protests are brought down when Lincoln reminds them that there is still a lot of space in America for them.
1869: the Spanish Parliament votes for Leopold of Hohenzollern to become the new King of Spain. This sparks an angry answer from Napoleon III's France, who finds itself surrounded by its German enemy.
1870: the Franco-Prussian War ends by the end of this year, with Germany defeating France easily thanks to their better discipline and weaponry. France loses Alsace and Lorraine and has to pay reparations.
1878: Spain manages to pacify Cuba, Puerto Rico and Philippines thanks to the progressive movements of the new king, who favours the extension of a system similar to that of the Vascongadas to all the nation.
1871-1900: Africa is divided by the European nations, as they look for more magical sites that will make them more powerful in the international scene. They also look to Asia as potential sources of bigger markets and magical sites are opened.
1898: the Qing Emperor, Guangxu, manages to win in the battle against Empress Dowager Cixi and orders her killed for rebellion. He also successfully extends the initial Hundred Days Reform into a much longer period that restorates Chinese national unity and brings modernization to China.
1912: the Titanic avoids sinking thanks to a Fire Mage who melts an iceberg the ship was about to hit.
1914: the Great War starts after Serbia denies Austrian agents and mages unlimited access to Serbia in order to search for the assassins of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. Germany, Spain and Italy back Austria, while France and Russia back Serbia. The British Empire joins the war after Germany invades Belgium. Spain invades Gibraltar successfully.
1916: The United States joins the war after it is discovered Germany asked Mexico to join the war in their side, in exchange of the land they lost to the US in the Mexican-American War.
1917: As Germany starts to be pushed out of Belgium, their mages start to resort to desperate measures. Three mages sacrifice themselves to produce a spell that will sink Washington D.C slowly over a period of several weeks, their hope being that it will force America to keep their army back home. Many die in this first attack against civil population. The United States avenges this loss with a meteoric bombardment of Munich and sending several hundreds of thousands of soldiers to France. The Russian White Revolution brings the autocratic czarist regime down, but the Red Revolution doesn't work out as well because most mages are loyal to the Kerensky government, and the Russian Civil War starts in earnest, bringing Russia out of the war.
1918: A very radicalized Kaiser Wilhelm II orders his best mages to destroy London and Paris. London is sunk in a few days under the waters of the North Sea, creating the Thames Bay, while a mountain grows under Paris and destroys the whole city. An Anglo-French mage force utterly destroys Berlin, Hamburg and Hanover by bringing up volcanos that swallow those cities. The entrance of Entente armies into Germany proper doesn't mean it's the end of the war, though.
1919: The effects of the destruction of so many important cities start to make their hole in the world. Riots hit several nations when critical supplies start to fall short, despite mages' attempts to grow high quantities of food and other necessary things with their powers. Nearly all of Africa falls into chaos as natives make the most of the colonial powers distraction to bring civilization down there with their magical abilities.
1920: The Russian Civil War ends, but not because of one side winning, but because both sides have fallen. The last few Soviet mages attempt to destroy Petrograd as a parting shot, but for some reason they have an epic fail and instead destroy Tokyo, bringing down the Japanese Empire.
1921: The dragons, who had been telling people that, if they didn't heed their words, they would leave, make their threats reality by not only leaving, but also killing all mages and making most magic-reliant objects explode. The few nations that still survived fall when their over-reliance on magic makes everything useless.
1945: All nations in the world have fallen due to everything that has happened in the last century. Nearly a half of humanity has died off in the Great Magical War and the Magical Catastrophes. The rest survive on farms and communities that manage to keep going on thanks to whatever technology was salvaged from the cities and the few people with magical powers that have been born after the dragons departing.
1950: Magical sites start to shine again... but few people realise this.

1860: the election of Abraham Lincoln to the office of President of the United States sparks the secession of North Carolina from the Union.
:rotfl:

It was funny because North Carolina was one of the last states to secede historically.

Allowing players to choose where they settle wouldn't work. Make the first stage of the NES about exploration and discovery, and have them explore the new world that they've fled to.

This is why I post here :p Good idea. So, would like 3 BT's be enough to allow people to migrate around and find a suitable location?

@Milarqui: Don't worry about it. I'm sure your knowledge of American history far surpasses the vast majority of Americans' knowledge of Spanish history.

@Ninja Dude: Would people be able to migrate indefinitely? Have a nomadic culture?

During the BT's you'd basically chose to either settle down, or keep moving. Once you settle down, you'd expand at a slower rate, but you'd get all the benefits that a settled society gets. Meanwhile, the nomads can continue to explore and cover more ground until they find a suitable location.

We see what everyone has explored, since news of these discoveries would travel plenty during the BT, although if someone gets EXTREMELY far away, I guess that might warrant their own map.

I would like to run a very fast-paced interaction-heavy NES. The plot would be that all players are members of a party of adventurers that has escaped from a prison operated by an evil ruler of an authoritarian, oppressive kingdom. All of the characters within this party has one thing in common: they are members of the Lightfolk, a sect of humanity that is all but extinct due to the systematic genocide by the Dimkind, an evil sect of humanity bent on the destruction of all that is good and pure in the world. The Dimkind desire a highly controlled, militaristic society, with the ultimate goal of tapping into the god-like magical powers contained within the earth. Meanwhile, the Lightfolk are a noble and wise people, who have for centuries protected the earth and all of its creations. The Dimkind, using fire, industry, and destruction to change the surface of the planet, have tipped the balance in their favor and are operating a massive system of magically-enhanced prisons which contain the Lightfolk's most powerful warriors and wizards. Using mines that run deep into the center of the earth, they are extracting the earth's life force and plan to use it to reach heights never before achieved by mortals.

The party of escaped prisoners will have to decide where to go and how to seek help. Their ultimate goal will be the dismantling of The Dim Empire, and the restoration of the balance throughout the world. To do this, they will have to choose wisely which towns they go to and who they talk to. Spies will be frequent, and encounters with roaming bandits and evil monsters will be commonplace. The plot is a bit cliche, but that is what would be best for a NES like this. Avoid roaming soldiers of the Empire and their wizard commanders.

It will be a formal-update-free NES. So I won't post lengthy updates, as I do in Tales from the Ether. Rather, the NES will involve interaction between players in decisions on where to go and who to talk to. Players cannot go off on their own - the party must stick together because they are the last hope of the Lightfolk (however they could always separate within a village or something to cover more ground). The game will be written in real-time. I will drop hints as to what might be a good location to explore, and I will also post real-time responses to actions to tell the players what has happened. When a day passes, and the players must sleep, I will post about this as well. We will have some rest times when I will say the party will remain in a village for a game week or so, and then time speeds up and I'll give everyone a few real life days to collect their thoughts and interact.

The system for choosing a type of character class will be very similar to Tales from the Ether. There will be certain classes to choose from, and certain jobs. Each player would be allowed to choose 1 class and 1 job, making characters rather customizable. All players begin with no weapons and armor, but it is very likely in the beginning a treasure trove of weapons and armor will be discovered, at which point I will list what is available and who gets what.

While traditional stories can be written, the narrative of the NES will be more in an interactive format. Brief, interacting posting will be the main medium used to play the game and control your character. To this effect, very little devotion and time are necessary for this. It is whatever you put into it.

By the way, it won't be steampunk, but rather more classical medieval fantasy. Humans will be most prevalent (the Lightfolk and the Dimkind are two different sects of humanity, but they have the same genetics and so on - yet there are magical properties that differentiate the two). There are other races, but they are rare and many of them have gone into hiding or have even migrated to distant lands to avoid the Empire. Finding them might prove to be a great asset. Each player will be human (there are separate prisons for other races), and specifically - Lightfolk. There can be chaotic Lightfolk, of course, but I'm not going to go into what your alignment is. That was always too limiting to me in D&D, and I feel that a forum-based game deserves better.

If there's enough interest, I'll provide more details and a map as I finish it. Here's the main point of interest: The party of adventurers has been imprisoned for 5 years total. Within this timeframe, a lot has changed throughout the world. So the group of players will know the complete geography of the world and the way things were before they were sent to prison. But when going to a town, things might be completely different once you get there. The party of adventurers will have to seek out more information on what the hell is going on.

Top Bottom