New NESes, ideas, development, etc

The idea of in-culture principled actions is that players would have to know what their nation's culture is in order to make them. As for spotlights, you don't get pages and pages of people posting about being happy that they got top billing in an update, but I'm fairly certain the players who get spotlights (and more emphasis in general) do appreciate it.
I don't think that you would have to know what your state's culture is in order to make a dumb decision that's moderately plausible. Maybe the player just doesn't know any better and doesn't realize that it is, in fact, a dumb decision.

If we're talking about update space devoted to a given player's actions, that's not really always affected by how interesting player actions are, but more importantly, it has nothing to do with spotlights. And while it's theoretically an incentive, it's not really the answer I was looking for. I would prefer that people actually discuss the proposal at hand instead of bukkake that is vaguely related to the motivation for the proposal.

To me, in-culture for a country in a NES is the same kind of thing that in-character is for most RPGs. Reading orders, you could tell fairly easily if a player was moving his leaders to act in a natural way, and virtue points would be awarded when those characters made dramatic or difficult logical (or naturally illogical) decisions.

Bukkake? Really?

I suppose it's problematic that most NESers aren't going to have a good idea of what "in-character" means for a given state anyway unless they design the culture themselves, and I have no interest in running a fresh start. Ho-hum.

And yeah, you got a problem with my vocabulary?

Not the vocabulary. I just don't think that people are being as unconstructive as you think they are. If you, per definition, do not know exactly what you are talking about, how is anyone else?

And players can get ideas about characterization from introductions, updates, associated alt hists, etc. Some do this more than others, obviously, but the variance is exactly what your new stat is supposed to address.

I think that the idea of something to recognize someone who goes to great lengths to create interesting situations can be dealt with at the end of a NES, or at the end of any given interval- I'm not sure that a stat is necessary, or particularly useful in describing a nation.

Still, it's a good idea. :)

Timely civil wars to change the trajectory of domestic policy probably falls under sub-optimal play but good in character, characterful, play. I would prefer the latter over the former for the uncertianty it introduces into the usual stable-state political equilibrium that NESers like to operate in. But as yet, there is no means of rewarding that kind of play... certainly the usual thing would be a volta-face by the players without much in the way of mod consequences. This isn't an indictment of mods but of the enviroment that players themselves create.

Do enough players enjoy deliberately suboptimal (and yet in character) play to make them worth including in stats?

In my experience, not typically. Dachs said he was inspired in his idea by a good memory of Stormbringer's imploding Russia NES2: VI, but I remember brousing one of EQ's NES's some years later, where Storm was playing Brazil, and EQ was confused enough by his unorthodox NESing style to briefly call him out in-thread. But the including of a 'virtue' stat, or whatever you want to call it, might of its own nature change the way some players behave, and for that reason I agree with Iggy that Dach's idea is an interesting one.

EDIT: Another way to get players to act in sub-optimal but characterful ways would be to tie the virtue stat to periodic rewards, like added troops or economy. Such handing out of bonus would probably need to be infrequent, but even rare bonuses might encourage good players who generally play it safe to chase the carrot, as it were.

EDIT2: I could see that mechanic working very well in a magic NES.

I think that the idea of something to recognize someone who goes to great lengths to create interesting situations can be dealt with at the end of a NES, or at the end of any given interval- I'm not sure that a stat is necessary, or particularly useful in describing a nation.
It's not supposed to describe a state, it's supposed to describe a player. Why can't the "given interval" be one turn? :p
Do enough players enjoy deliberately suboptimal (and yet in character) play to make them worth including in stats?
Good point. Another question would be, why encourage suboptimal behavior when most players can be relied upon to engage in suboptimal behavior anyway?
In my experience, not typically. Dachs said he was inspired in his idea by a good memory of Stormbringer's imploding Russia NES2: VI, but I remember brousing one of EQ's NES's some years later, where Storm was playing Brazil, and EQ was confused enough by his unorthodox NESing style to briefly call him out in-thread. But the including of a 'virtue' stat, or whatever you want to call it, might of its own nature change the way some players behave, and for that reason I agree with Iggy that Dach's idea is an interesting one.
That's the idea, anyway, to change the way NESers behave.
Imago said:
EDIT: Another way to get players to act in sub-optimal but characterful ways would be to tie the virtue stat to periodic rewards, like added troops or economy. Such handing out of bonus would probably need to be infrequent, but even rare bonuses might encourage good players who generally play it safe to chase the carrot, as it were.
Yeah, a form of that already existed in DaNES - though it wasn't connected to 'being in character' and more connected to 'awards for things I thought were done right, incl. stories and early orders'. In-game rewards for suboptimal play seem silly - because in-game rewards make optimal play more possible.

Prestige is supposed to reward those actions and create a viable basis for the "winner" of the NES other than "whoever's strongest at the end", which I think is a very unsatisfying answer, or "whoever the mod ended up liking the best".

The problem is that prestige doesn't really reward majestic failures, screwing up for the sake of screwing up and making an interesting story.
(...)
Obviously I - and the people with whom I've hashed out this idea already - haven't fully thought through its implementation. Prestige is more or less intuitive, but figuring out how to assign points for basically making an interesting story - to be rewarded at the end of the NES - seems much harder. Thoughts?
I dare say the best answer to this is FFH NES II.
If you haven't checked that NES, you really should.
Immac asked some players to play for a limited amount of time. This ment that each of these players knew he would eventually 'die'. This opened the way for Mighty screw-ups. It was easier to do in a fantasy setting than it would be in an alt-hist, but still. You could consider Napoleon a player that has 5 updates to cause as much fuss as possible before being eventually taken out.
In this NES, I planned a character to eventually die, cursing his killer. That failed because noone managed to kill me, but I managed to actually turn the whole continent into more of a mess than it already was. all for the sake of role-playing.

I didn't need stats, prestige or legacy (as called in EQ's NES). I don't think assigning prestige to someone who roleplays is much of an incentive. If I play to write stories, I don't play to "win", so telling mee I "won" is meaningless. You need something different from prestige to get people to screw up. They either want to, or you task specific players/nations to have a short life in which they should try to do as much as they can. It can be something like I described from FFH NES II, orsomething like "You're Mongolia, you're united under a single khan. For as long as he lives, you're a powerhouse, but know that on his death in 3 or 4 updates, your empire will split and other players will take over parts of it. Now go and make yourself remembered".

Yeah, a form of that already existed in DaNES - though it wasn't connected to 'being in character' and more connected to 'awards for things I thought were done right, incl. stories and early orders'. In-game rewards for suboptimal play seem silly - because in-game rewards make optimal play more possible.

What if the rewards were both fairly substantial and rare? Not like something that would take the place of dasian random events (which, if I remember correctly, is the switch you did) but something that would come to one or maybe two players every third or fourth turn. Acting suboptimal would then be more like entering a lottery. Think something like- 'Will I last long enough to get my extra troops and maybe just maybe complete the conquest of the three natural enemies I declared war on all at the same time?' Obviously, players don't have to do things so extreme, but with acting deliberately suboptimal, there always would be a good chance that a player would lose more stat-wise than they would gain. Still, the chance of any reward at all would shift good but conservative player's expected values, which might help with what you're trying to accomplish for your new stat. Without linkages, any player who's more interested in seeing virtue rise more than army size or economy would have to be a fairly chaotic player to begin with-but with even a tentative association between virtue and something more practical, the calculus would get screwed up. I get the feeling that you're looking for a mechanism a little bit less obvious, but in this specific case, I'm fairly sure less obvious would mean less effective. Would you want only some roleplayers to care about virtue, or everyone?

For as long as he lives, you're a powerhouse, but know that on his death in 3 or 4 updates, your empire will split and other players will take over parts of it. Now go and make yourself remembered".

Not quite the same idea, but maybe the forum should have a game where players took countries and tried to run them into the ground for one or two turns, then switched to their actual preferred country, and tried to fix things.

It's true that the idea did work well in a fantasy setting, but the trouble is that those roles were sub-national in a game where all the other players were in control of states. The system had no effect on the way that the other players played except to totally piss them off for several turns with the whole zombie crisis thing (although other then that FFHNES2 was amazing don't get me wrong).

I think the best way to implement an idea like Dachs was suggesting would require some kind of leaders with traits that affect your nation. The resolution of otherwise bad situations would cause the development of very strong characters. The only problem with this is that it requires a certain kind of timescale to work, with each turn probably being a maximum of 15 years long. Which would be too short for many NESes I suppose. :undecide:

One thing that could be interesting in a way would be for players not to play a single country, but to regularly switch nations after a small number of turns. Without having an attatchment to a specific country many players would be more prepared to play suboptimally to create interesting events.

One thing that could be interesting in a way would be for players not to play a single country, but to regularly switch nations after a small number of turns. Without having an attatchment to a specific country many players would be more prepared to play suboptimally to create interesting events.

I actually do want to see this tried. Preferably carefully.

The system had no effect on the way that the other players played except to totally piss them off for several turns with the whole zombie crisis thing
This is mostly because the players who were given the opportunity decided to ignore us. When I sent a message to a player where I could offer him an artefact, a very powerful leader and effective troops, I was simply ignored. As a result, he got some troops but also suffered the brunt of zombie attacks that could otherwise have been avoided. And theen the players were pissed off by the zombie crisis because they didn't take into account the new factions. the issue was with the players shutting their eyes, not with the system.
Furthermore, I don't think the zombie crisis was worse than the Napoleon crisis was for European leaders at the time. Once it was dealt with, Europe was more or less back to what it had been before.
Finally, the temp players could perfectly be nations. If you play a game in Anatolia, you get a ten years war with a faction of naughty Achaeans who will go back as soon as they have their queen back. Or you could have a Mesoamerican NES with a sudden burst of conquistadors who, for some reason, wouldn't stay there long despite their technological advantage (say the diseases are more deadly to them than IRL, where it was the natives who died in droves).

One thing that could be interesting in a way would be for players not to play a single country, but to regularly switch nations after a small number of turns.
Yes, this is a fun idea. However, I think random switches would be more interesting, as if it is regular, it can be planned for, and I think it should also be limited to a few players/countries at a time in order to avoid a sudden 'Year of the Madmen' which reverts to normal after a turn or two.

I dare say the best answer to this is FFH NES II.
If you haven't checked that NES, you really should.
Immac asked some players to play for a limited amount of time. This ment that each of these players knew he would eventually 'die'. This opened the way for Mighty screw-ups. It was easier to do in a fantasy setting than it would be in an alt-hist, but still. You could consider Napoleon a player that has 5 updates to cause as much fuss as possible before being eventually taken out.
In this NES, I planned a character to eventually die, cursing his killer. That failed because noone managed to kill me, but I managed to actually turn the whole continent into more of a mess than it already was. all for the sake of role-playing.

I didn't need stats, prestige or legacy (as called in EQ's NES). I don't think assigning prestige to someone who roleplays is much of an incentive. If I play to write stories, I don't play to "win", so telling mee I "won" is meaningless. You need something different from prestige to get people to screw up. They either want to, or you task specific players/nations to have a short life in which they should try to do as much as they can. It can be something like I described from FFH NES II, orsomething like "You're Mongolia, you're united under a single khan. For as long as he lives, you're a powerhouse, but know that on his death in 3 or 4 updates, your empire will split and other players will take over parts of it. Now go and make yourself remembered".
I don't really like that solution for a couple of reasons. For one thing, it involves me basically telling certain players what to do, and that is prima facie bad. If a mod's going to be writing the story of the NES to that extent, the player might as well join an EQ NES and be sure of an research team-approved update every week like clockwork.

Another problem is that your example doesn't actually, um, mean much of anything. I know players have gone off and roleplayed incompetence and/or a deliberate attempt to go out in a blaze of glory or whatnot, just to make the story interesting in a given NES without any incentives. I gave an example of it myself. Hell, I've done it myself, as the various incarnations of the Hurrians in JalNES II, which were pre-Satar Satar minus the angst. So I know that people do that sort of thing without any stat or reward incentive at all, believe me. But the rarity of doing things like that has to be noted. You just don't get people doing things badly for the purpose of creating an interesting world very often.

Now, you do get a lot of people who are incompetent because they just don't know any better or just don't care. Sometimes you can identify them and separate them from the people who are trying to create an interesting story, and sometimes you can't. Ideally, we want to encourage bad play for the sake of worldbuilding and discourage bad play because one doesn't know any better. (And good play for the sake of worldbuilding, of course. But some people are always automatically going to strive for that.)
What if the rewards were both fairly substantial and rare? Not like something that would take the place of dasian random events (which, if I remember correctly, is the switch you did) but something that would come to one or maybe two players every third or fourth turn. Acting suboptimal would then be more like entering a lottery. Think something like- 'Will I last long enough to get my extra troops and maybe just maybe complete the conquest of the three natural enemies I declared war on all at the same time?' Obviously, players don't have to do things so extreme, but with acting deliberately suboptimal, there always would be a good chance that a player would lose more stat-wise than they would gain. Still, the chance of any reward at all would shift good but conservative player's expected values, which might help with what you're trying to accomplish for your new stat. Without linkages, any player who's more interested in seeing virtue rise more than army size or economy would have to be a fairly chaotic player to begin with-but with even a tentative association between virtue and something more practical, the calculus would get screwed up. I get the feeling that you're looking for a mechanism a little bit less obvious, but in this specific case, I'm fairly sure less obvious would mean less effective. Would you want only some roleplayers to care about virtue, or everyone?
This was like reading one of Swissempire's posts from last fall. :crazyeye:

I honestly don't think that making all players who want to play badly, but in-character, and for the purpose of creating an interesting story play Random Event Roulette to potentially get a sizable bonus that will completely change their play style makes sense from an incentivizing point of view. I don't want everybody to deliberately play badly, because a NES that is composed entirely of a comedy of errors isn't interesting. I thought this whole question was relatively simple: what sort of things should I be looking at for this 'best actor' type stat, and how. I guess it's impossible to get people to actually comment on the thing I wanted to talk about.
Imago said:
Not quite the same idea, but maybe the forum should have a game where players took countries and tried to run them into the ground for one or two turns, then switched to their actual preferred country, and tried to fix things.
I don't think we have the player base for anything like that.
I think the best way to implement an idea like Dachs was suggesting would require some kind of leaders with traits that affect your nation. The resolution of otherwise bad situations would cause the development of very strong characters. The only problem with this is that it requires a certain kind of timescale to work, with each turn probably being a maximum of 15 years long. Which would be too short for many NESes I suppose. :undecide:
Um, how would that change anything? As things are, the NESers play as leaders who have traits - not explicitly defined in terms of stats, or anything, but I don't see how that's necessary or even desirable - and make decisions that affect their states.
I actually do want to see this tried. Preferably carefully.
Players already don't have enough attachment to their specific countries. In general, players are much too willing to gamble and stake the existence of their country - something that would be extraordinarily rare historically - on perceived slights or affronts to honor. We get stupid Highlander wars all the time. Honestly, I think encouraging more attachment to one's country is what we need to aim for, not less.

The idea of having separate players play different rulers of a given state is a good one for different reasons, and it's one that would be great to pull off, but the player base is simply too small to support such an undertaking except in NESes with a ridiculously small number of potential players.

I thought this whole question was relatively simple: what sort of things should I be looking at for this 'best actor' type stat, and how.

Oh. Then the stat should go higher for players who shift their nations' general priorities now and again, players that try to create vibrant domestic political scenes, and players that commit to in-character/culture activities that are not intended to efficiently maximize power.

I don't think we have the player base for anything like that.

Put a player cap of four to eight and I think the idea's workable, both for my variant (one switch) or Ekolite's (periodic ones).

Top Bottom