New NESes, ideas, development, etc

I'm pretty sure that whatever they had in the terms of religious fanaticism was mere posturing. It really was more about wholesome, old-fashioned imperial arrogance and world conquest. ;)
A little bit like the Jews writ large. The Achaemenids and Ezra were good friends after all. :p

Jews did not work that way. ;) Israelite conquests were out of national interests, whereas Persian conquests were out of the innate value of conquering things.

Israelite conquests were out of national interests, whereas Persian conquests were out of the innate value of conquering things.
Most conquests start out as national interest anyway, through one form or another. This whole conversation reminds me of your massively expansionist Israel in that ICNES business.

It wasn't as expansionist as genocidal, only indeed on a larger scale than in OTL/in the Bible. Given that we're talking about the first incarnation, ofcourse; the second was extremelly expansionist, I agree.

But Persian expansion was entirely different. National interests are hard to tie to an essentially multinational empire; Persia was usually guided by imperial interests, but those are seldom expansionistic, as a matter of fact (just look at Austria-Hungary, where the latter part only agreed to a war with Serbia when promised an absence of territorial gains); so its initial conquering drive had more to do with personal ambition (plus the usual things like population pressure and mercantile influences, but I suspect those weren't as important as usual, seeing as actual migrations of Persians were limited).

But yeah, Gibbon was a fata*s idiot. ;)

Cheers :D

Darius' and Xerxes' brand of Zoroastrianism works there too. I'm ashamed of you - a Greek and subpar knowledge of the Persian Holy Wars! :p

:blush: I know, I a terrible Hellenist. Luckily, I'm a Hellenist-in-training, so it should all be okay in the end :p

@fantasmo - Gonna have to respectfully, yet categorically, disagree with you on the vikings, but you're probably right on its placement in this thread.

In any case, would people be more interested in the Ancient Near East (not althistorical, probably just start from some point in history or else something like what INES was, with general regional powers that are shaped by their players, leaning towards the latter for simplicity's sake) or Colonization of the Americas?

Colonization of the Americas sounds like something that hasn't been tried over and over before.

Neither was Ancient Near East to any degree of accuracy, although I suppose that it can't help but be touched by most fresh starts.

On a slightly irrelevant note, while working on your (NK's) section in AFSNES I had been struck by an idea about a pure New World NES starting at some point in pre-Columbian times; possibly a fresh start. I mean, there is usually just one or two players shaping things there, despite there being so many civilisations and possibilities; yet that is already enough to seriously change the New World towards the point of European contact. A higher amount of players would both make development more realistic (because warring against NPCs still isn't as time-consuming and distracting as warring against PCs) and result in it being less monocentric, for better or for worse. To make things even better the Old Worlders would arrive ahistorically. ;)

But that's just a random thought. There probably wouldn't be enough people interested.

Neither was Ancient Near East to any degree of accuracy, although I suppose that it can't help but be touched by most fresh starts.

On a slightly irrelevant note, while working on your (NK's) section in AFSNES I had been struck by an idea about a pure New World NES starting at some point in pre-Columbian times; possibly a fresh start. I mean, there is usually just one or two players shaping things there, despite there being so many civilisations and possibilities; yet that is already enough to seriously change the New World towards the point of European contact. A higher amount of players would both make development more realistic (because warring against NPCs still isn't as time-consuming and distracting as warring against PCs) and result in it being less monocentric, for better or for worse. To make things even better the Old Worlders would arrive ahistorically. ;)

But that's just a random thought. There probably wouldn't be enough people interested.
But an excellent idea none-the-less.

Aztecs, Incas, and Iroquois, oh my.

EDIT: Actual content of post removed :p

Blah blah blah Deities NES
So, is anything happening on this?
If not, I suggest we all go and play Dominions. It even has "we-go" turn-based updates the way NESes do, with options to micromanage your troops or give general orders. It also models supplies and unit morale and various other crap.

Actually, I suggest we all play Dominions anyway. :p

I'm waiting until I get my laptop back. THEN, I'm going to carefully consider if I'll have the time to mod a NES.

Looking for an honest answer here: As someone who hasn't so much as posted in the NESing section before, what kind of a reaction should I expect if I start up a spacefaring sci-fi NES? I understand that it might be better to experience actually playing in a NES before I host one, but it seems like all of them are well underway at the moment.

Some of the people already here (Niklas, BananaLee, and LightFang off the top of my head) can hopefully vouch for my hosting abilities in the forum games section. I guess I'm just trying to feel out how the rest of the community tolerates newcomers. ;)

Well, I would be interested. It depends on the rules of the said space nes of course ;)

Anyways, I'm only hostile to newcomers with only 1 post.

Yeah, some playing experience will give your NES a lot more credibility, though several people have launched successful NESes without experience (I was only around for a month before launching LINES).

Looking for an honest answer here: As someone who hasn't so much as posted in the NESing section before, what kind of a reaction should I expect if I start up a spacefaring sci-fi NES? I understand that it might be better to experience actually playing in a NES before I host one, but it seems like all of them are well underway at the moment.

Some of the people already here (Niklas, BananaLee, and LightFang off the top of my head) can hopefully vouch for my hosting abilities in the forum games section. I guess I'm just trying to feel out how the rest of the community tolerates newcomers. ;)

Welcome. :)

:hmm: Are there any existing NESes out there that require a replacement player? I'd rather play my first game from the outset, but if there's no other option I might be up to taking another player's reins.

Edit: Xposted with Birdjaguar, thanks for the welcome. ;)

:hmm: Are there any existing NESes out there that require a replacement player? I'd rather play my first game from the outset, but if there's no other option I might be up to taking another player's reins.

Edit: Xposted with Birdjaguar, thanks for the welcome. ;)

das' NES is still in its early stages. Asia is pretty calm at the moment.

You can join any active NES at any time, in this subforum at least.

However, sometimes there aren't spots available. But there usually are.

Oh, that's helpful to know. Then I take it I should just start the game thread whenever I have sufficient material rather than take the time to make a separate signup thread?

Yeah. That would be a plus. Posting a thread 6 months before the game is ready like CarmenNES is generally something to be frowned upon.

Top Bottom