New painting by Van Gogh discovered

It is pretty, that should be the criterion rather than that it is a Van Gogh.
The criterion for what? Praise? Museum Display? High Value?

For appraisal. (I.e. for liking/not liking a painting.) :rolleyes:
1. Why the rolleyes?
2. Why do you speak for Shaihulud?
3. Your definition of appraisal seems weird. Isn't appraisal more about setting a monetary value then making an aesthetic judgment?

I'm unsure. It's a small museum, so small in fact that I'd never heard of it until this discovery. (BTW, obviously this isn't a "new" painting, rather the rediscovery of an old painting. Not that surprising considering the fact tha Van Gogh didn't get famous until after he died...)

After looking at the picture again (of the museum), I think it's in the lighting - plus there's a slight frog-eye effect.
I recognised that it was small - tiny even, by museum standards - but I think it was the frog-eye effect that was blowing my mind. That and lack of sleep.

The criterion for what? Praise? Museum Display? High Value?
While I can't speak for Shaihulud, I did agree with him, so will add my point of view. I view it as the criterion for praise and possibly also museum display; I don't see the point in displaying something ugly or stupid, which covers most contemporary art I've seen. Still, I understand that for historical reasons simply being pretty is not a good indicator of value or museum display.

Top Bottom