New Player Survey

blackbutterfly

Emperor
On boot this morning there's a new player survey:
20231129153917_1.jpg

(I suggest you take it, b'cos this is the mechanism by which companies usually collect feedback - not from forums, socials, etc. traditionally. So this is the way to convey your feedback to Firaxis and 2K).

Interestingly, there is one question:
Screenshot 2023-11-29 105301.png

"Civilization partnership with different brands".

Maybe Civ VII built on Amplitude's HUMANKIND engine?

Last edited:
That is quite the massive leap of logic you’re making there.

Well, from the questions on the official survey, it looks like Firaxis are very far away from a Civ VII indeed.
(Also, I think it points very much to the "next Civ game in development" being a Beyond Earth sequel based on Civ VI)

TBH if Civ engineering are really in such a situation, then they really need a new game engine.
Unfortunately their investment in Unreal hasn't quite panned out (for Civ) and they will need something new.

Only downside of using whatever Amplitude engineered for HUMANKIND is it's based off Unity.
While they are great tools and a leap above Civ's archaic XML text editing, IDK if Unity are trustworthy.

But for sure Firaxis can get a jump start on Civ VII if they license HUMANKIND's engine from Amplitude. Also hire a couple of their devs.

Well, from the questions on the official survey, it looks like Firaxis are very far away from a Civ VII indeed.
(Also, I think it points very much to the "next Civ game in development" being a Beyond Earth sequel based on Civ VI)

TBH if Civ engineering are really in such a situation, then they really need a new game engine.
Unfortunately their investment in Unreal hasn't quite panned out (for Civ) and they will need something new.

Only downside of using whatever Amplitude engineered for HUMANKIND is it's based off Unity.
While they are great tools and a leap above Civ's archaic XML text editing, IDK if Unity are trustworthy.

But for sure Firaxis can get a jump start on Civ VII if they license HUMANKIND's engine from Amplitude. Also hire a couple of their devs.
First of all. I’m grateful you alerted us all to the survey and I’ll definitely be taking it. I think we’re all eager to share our views with Firaxis.

That said, there’s no factual basis for anything you’ve asserted here—it’s all completely wild speculation, from being “far away from Civ 7” to “investment in Unreal hasn’t panned out” and everything else.

I have no clue what you mean about Firaxis “licensing the engine” from Amplitude. Amplitude used Unity as I’m sure you’re well aware, not their own engine. There’s nothing to license from Amplitude.

And that’s putting aside the completely baseless assumption that this AAA development team working on the most successful 4x series ever is somehow in desperate need of a foundation for their game, is catastrophically years behind schedule, and for some reason needs to rely on the work done by a much smaller, much less successful competitor…

I would assume that "partnering with a different brand" would not involve another historical-flavored 4x game.

Rather, it might mean that they could have some fictional scenarios based on an established IP. Possibly, they might have a DLC civ that is fictional or a fictional alt-leader for an existing civ. Certainly, something that could be disabled.

Alternatively, it might mean Civ 7 leaders guest appearing in Tekken 7 or something, and you get some Civ perk for buying the other game.

And thank you for alerting us to the survey.

Me thinks the higher-ups are pressuring Firaxis into doing things they might not necessairly know would be well recieved, what makes Civ work is generally that its a predictable game. But recent changes in the gaming industry and the general attitudes of "higher-ups" is pressuring studios to cave into pure capitalism. (Loot Boxes come to mind), so Firaxis is either trying to prove a point to the higher ups (That is not what people want), or they really are considering these changes.

Honestly, what Civ has done with the Leader Pass and New Frontier Pass never bothered me (I also enjoy the monthyl challenge as an idea), most of the flaws come from its execution.

The one thing I think hurt New Frontier Pass was the monthly updates because it wasn't sufficient time to ensure they all worked as expected (there were SO many bugs).

Another "partnering with a different brand" thing they could do:

Civ 7 toys in McDonald's Happy Meals.

I'd be very tempted to collect a whole set of leader figurines, if that were something they did.
My sense when reading that line was that it would be for non-videogame related content. Happy Meals are kind of a dated reference, I think younger people today would more likely suggest "Funco pops" of Civ figures ;)

You know what else would be interesting? Civ partnering with LEGO to release wonders or something. MangoCheeseCakey has of course demonstrated to us all what a great idea that could be.

But recent changes in the gaming industry and the general attitudes of "higher-ups" is pressuring studios to cave into pure capitalism. (Loot Boxes come to mind)
I would rage and probably drop civ 7 altogether if they added loot boxes. I don't mind paying for more content, but not in that way. I would also appreciate it if they didn't go too heavily down tje road of releasing frequent leaders for download and adding power creep along the way. This has already happened a bit, but not in an oppressive way. Some games however seem to see this as their main source of revenue, and it tends to ruin games over time as balance and immersion gets thrown out of the window in favour of a quick buck.

I would assume that "partnering with a different brand" would not involve another historical-flavored 4x game.

Rather, it might mean that they could have some fictional scenarios based on an established IP. Possibly, they might have a DLC civ that is fictional or a fictional alt-leader for an existing civ. Certainly, something that could be disabled.

Alternatively, it might mean Civ 7 leaders guest appearing in Tekken 7 or something, and you get some Civ perk for buying the other game.

And thank you for alerting us to the survey.
What this says to me is that they're contemplating some themed spinoffs in partnership with other brands that represent specific IPs. Kind of like how you can buy "Star Wars Monopoly" or "Lord of the Rings Risk." 2K/FXS has already shown a desire to link up with major IPs (see also: Midnight Suns).

I'd actually play the heck out of a Middle-Earth-based Civ game. So I would entertain the idea of a thematic spinoff of Civ6 in a specific alternate IP before we move on to Civ7.

What this says to me is that they're contemplating some themed spinoffs in partnership with other brands that represent specific IPs. Kind of like how you can buy "Star Wars Monopoly" or "Lord of the Rings Risk." 2K/FXS has already shown a desire to link up with major IPs (see also: Midnight Suns).

I'd actually play the heck out of a Middle-Earth-based Civ game. So I would entertain the idea of a thematic spinoff of Civ6 in a specific alternate IP before we move on to Civ7.
If Civ 7 is arriving next year, it's a little late for them to negotiate an agreement and create a spin-off that would release prior to then.

View attachment 678537
Tab has interesting name, what is "Project Dancer" ? : )

It's probably the code name for Civ 7. There's no game on SteamDB listed under that name though, so if it's on there for testing, it's probably doesn't have the named field filled in. I expect when it comes out, the primary depot will be called Dancer, much like Civ 6's primary depot is called Madrid, its project name.

Perhaps I did misinterpret this.

I think it's like how Marvel partnered with Firaxis to make a XCOM like game. Which resulted in Marvel's Midnight Suns.
Many will agree it turned out to more than the sum of its parts. IMO a huge success (from the point of view of innovative game design and even engineering).
Something Firaxis haven't really been able to claim for awhile.

First of all. I’m grateful you alerted us all to the survey and I’ll definitely be taking it. I think we’re all eager to share our views with Firaxis.

Np.
TBH I was totally surprised nobody had already posted it.

Was it accompanied by an update as well? 🤔

That said, there’s no factual basis for anything you’ve asserted here—it’s all completely wild speculation, from being “far away from Civ 7” to “investment in Unreal hasn’t panned out” and everything else.

I have no clue what you mean about Firaxis “licensing the engine” from Amplitude. Amplitude used Unity as I’m sure you’re well aware, not their own engine. There’s nothing to license from Amplitude.

And that’s putting aside the completely baseless assumption that this AAA development team working on the most successful 4x series ever is somehow in desperate need of a foundation for their game, is catastrophically years behind schedule, and for some reason needs to rely on the work done by a much smaller, much less successful competitor…

I don't mean to upset the apple cart.

It looks to me (from the survey) that Civ VII is still at the market research stage, sadly.
There's a question about mobile games. So perhaps Firaxis are even considering a successor to Civ Rev 2 perhaps? 🤷‍♂️

Re: licence from Amplitude:
Build Civ VII on a total conversion of HUMANKIND. I mean it is possible to mod Civ VI mechanics into HUMANKIND RN.
Leaders instead of avatars.
No cultural transitions, etc.

2K+Firaxis charge AAA $$$
But Civ VI is hardly a product of AAA engineering...not in an age where graphics in Cyberpunk 2.0 rivals CGI in movies (thanks to AI ray tracing in NVIDIA DLSS 3.5).

Marvel's Midnight Suns comes the closest Firaxis gets to AAA...but I think many gamers will disagree.

Last edited:
It's probably the code name for Civ 7. There's no game on SteamDB listed under that name though, so if it's on there for testing, it's probably doesn't have the named field filled in. I expect when it comes out, the primary depot will be called Dancer, much like Civ 6's primary depot is called Madrid, its project name.
Isn't SteamDB only for games that is released, or at least has a store page? The next project of Firaxis is hardly even more than soft announced, after all.

Please tell me that the survey pic from the opening post does not appear in the main menu.

Top Bottom