New Player Survey

Interesting, since I've played civ4 and civ6 and will return to civ4 BTS, I had several follow up questions. Wish the text box was larger for comparisons between games. I didn't know you could see the count of current players. Civ6 is #20 now and of this type of game seems to be the leader. Right now 37k playing

Please tell me that the survey pic from the opening post does not appear in the main menu.

Funny enough I haven't even noticed despite playing an entire Civ game this weekend. And I even played the Age of Abundance game and didn't notice it.

That shows how much I ignore that obnoxious title box. I haven't modded it away (yet).

I'm taking the survey now.

Funny enough I haven't even noticed despite playing an entire Civ game this weekend. And I even played the Age of Abundance game and didn't notice it.

That shows how much I ignore that obnoxious title box. I haven't modded it away (yet).

I'm taking the survey now.
I had to scroll past 3 other announcements in that box to get to the survey. So yes, if you don't actively look for it it's ignorable.

Still, your enthusiasm about the card combat is infectious to me and I will have to check out Marvel's Midnight Suns sometime.

Do.

Don't bother following any YouTubes about grinding out deck builds 😆

It's not how Firaxis designed Marvel's Midnight Suns.

Re: 2K + Firaxis partnership with Chinese dev for new mobile game is promising.

At least the publisher knows the value of the Civilization franchise and won't let it flounder under Firaxis, if they lack the expertise in these new game engines churning out new AAA historical 4Xs.

Re: 2K + Firaxis partnership with Chinese dev for new mobile game is promising.

At least the publisher knows the value of the Civilization franchise and won't let it flounder under Firaxis, if they lack the expertise in these new game engines churning out new AAA historical 4Xs.
How is 2K subletting the IP for cash grab mobile games “promising?” (I don’t think it means anything bad for the main franchise and I don’t begrudge people for enjoying mobile games, but they’re not my bag and I don’t see how this is “good news”. I don’t think it means anything at all.)

What new engines and what lack of expertise are you talking about?

What new engines and what lack of expertise are you talking about?

Unity, Godot.

I have produced a mod for HUMANKIND.
It (initially) took me all of 30 mins!

I was super impressed!

But now Unity is untrustworthy.
Any studio or publisher choosing it now is asking for a butt load of hurt 😆

Whatever the criticisms of HUMANKIND it is an order of magnitude more technologically advanced than Civ's decades old XML text editing foundation(?). Lua code whose legacy is at least 2 decades old, if not more.

Unity, Godot.
No AAA game dev is using Godot...and what makes you think Firaxis couldn't use Unity or Godot or any other game engine if they wanted to? What's the evidence of "lack of expertise?" (Even though there's zero indication they're moving in that direction. You yourself have pointed out the job listings mentioning Unreal)
I have produced a mod for HUMANKIND.
It (initially) took me all of 30 mins!

I was super impressed!

But now Unity is untrustworthy.
Any studio or publisher choosing it now is asking for a butt load of hurt 😆
OK? So why mention Unity above then :confused:
Whatever the criticisms of HUMANKIND it is an order of magnitude more technologically advanced than Civ's decades old XML text editing foundation(?). Lua code whose legacy is at least 2 decades old, if not more.
Who mentioned anything about Humankind? And XML and Lua aren't game engine "foundations" - they can both be part of a game using Unity...not sure what you're talking about here.

And XML and Lua aren't game engine "foundations" - they can both be part of a game using Unity...not sure what you're talking about here.

Unity uses YAML.
But you never edit it by text editor.
You use Unity toolset.

AFAIK there isn't anything like Lua for HUMANKIND.

It's no code modding.

That maybe by choice.
Lua code in practice is not very thread friendly. It's pretty easy to write Lua code that makes Civ VI hang... like it did ever so frequently at launch.

Unity doesn't use anything. A developer using the engine can integrate XML, JSON, YAML, or whatever they want.

Moot.

Nobody's gonna be using Unity now.

Re: Unreal: you can't yet make world maps (yet) in Unreal.

Larger maps in Unreal 5 yes.
It's just not where I expect Firaxis had hoped w.r.t. Civ.

I don't think Firaxis can develop Civ VII in Unreal. (Maybe Civ X)

This has been an interesting thread to read. Gave me quite the laugh.

A great way to finish off a Friday afternoon at the end of a very busy week. :)

Well, after a weeks worth of feedback/data from the New Player Survey 2K and Firaxis decided to announce Civilization Allies & Eras (or whatever).

Imagine what we'll get next week 😄

It is not even mentioned on civilization.com, unlike all the proper news of new civ games...

That's because its target market is China, rather than the typical Civilization base.

It's fair to say that none of us are prolly interested in Eras & Allies (or whatever).

Everybody - please take the survey.
And don't forget to check Extremely Interested in a new Civ game for PCs and console.

Everybody - please take the survey.
And don't forget to check Extremely Interested in a new Civ game for PCs and console.
What if I'm not? I think Sid Meier and Firaxis should return to his first true love: flight sims!

What if I'm not? I think Sid Meier and Firaxis should return to his first true love: flight sims!

If I said that on this site I would get trolled...hard.
How is it you get away with it? 😑

I'm really liking this new Firaxis CEO.
They have turned the company back around to focus on Civilization, the lifeblood of the company and for better or worse shifted away from its investment in Unreal based games.

That is good news.

The new player survey is good news.

The bad news is there may only be a very early prototype of Civ VII RN. i.e. not really ready for 2024 release. (For all the points I've already made in this thread).

Top Bottom