New Unit: Medival Polish Hussar(7/24/2006)

I think this unit's definitely one of the best you've done, but horsemen are pretty complicated - I'd also like to see this one redone BECAUSE it shows so much promise but just has a few kinks in it. Consider all the 'suggestions' something of a compliment because everyone wants to use this one (especially me ;) ) but we've gotten pretty spoiled by Aaglo, etc.

Along those lines, most of the 'glitches' were covered like the pennant not waving, only moving the rider or part of the horse when all should be moving (even if only a little) - BUT If you redo this one, have you considered dropping the sword entirely and just using the lance, that would seem more realistic to me and the rider is sharp enough without it.

Wyrmshadow said:
Maybe no one wanted to hurt the newbies feelings and they just see your forum veteran status as an open invitation. Then again 99.9% of the poeple that do post could not do any better themselves.
I criticize only when I think things can be done better than they are, when nothing can be done I don't say a word ;) I'm trying to learn how to make units myself, but won't post them until I think they're worth it. DAZ has problems using Poser files, so it takes time, learning takes time too, and also understanding tutorials in English with technical words. So I think I can give an objective opinion on that subject. This unit looks great, it could be a little bit more smooth and moving, I humbly think.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I'll redo this one, and also make another completely new Hussar...;)
That sounds great. I hope you start adding more movement it would really improve the unit and make it more enjoyable to use in the game.

OK SOG just take your time the more fluid the movement the better it will look just imagine if you were swinging a sword and exagerate the movement to get some power behind the blow.

The first animation I'm redoing is the run.

I saw what Wyrm was talking about when he said the unit was standing on the horse. I fixed that. The Wings now are straped to the man's back, like historical Hussars with wings. Also I'll redo the death, and try to make the attack look more fluid.

I'll release the redone Hussar and the other Hussar I have planned in a pack methinks..

On second thought, I think I'll just do the New more historically accurate(according to the cool pictures Wyrm gave me) Hussar...

Or should I just redo the death of this one, and tweak it alittle. What does everyone think?

Hey Sword...Looks like you have received quite a bit of "Constructive Criticism". Well, that is because they like you and your unit enough as well as feel comfortable enough to speak their minds. Good First attempt at this not so easy to do unit and glad you are going to remake it better from all the comments and suggestion.:) Just take your time on each animation and experiment with it. Always best to have fun in this work...hang in there Buddy.

I'd echo what the others have said about attack animations - you really do need to make more of the figure's body move when he attacks. Pick up a stick and pretend it's a sword and you're attacking someone who is trying to kill you. You'll find that you do not just move your arm and keep the rest of your body completely motionless. In fact, with violent actions such as this, it's best to think of the entire body as a single limb with lots of joints, and all the different parts move together to perform the action. Trying out things like this yourself seems to me a very good way of seeing how to make the animations. You could also try searching for clips of people doing this online - they probably exist and would also be helpful.

Plotinus said:
I'd echo what the others have said about attack animations - you really do need to make more of the figure's body move when he attacks. Pick up a stick and pretend it's a sword and you're attacking someone who is trying to kill you. You'll find that you do not just move your arm and keep the rest of your body completely motionless. In fact, with violent actions such as this, it's best to think of the entire body as a single limb with lots of joints, and all the different parts move together to perform the action. Trying out things like this yourself seems to me a very good way of seeing how to make the animations. You could also try searching for clips of people doing this online - they probably exist and would also be helpful.

You can also pick up an axe and chase people around in the park. Slightly less productive, but definately more fun! :satan:

Yeah, its 2 wings, sorry.

Top Bottom