New unit: mobility gear soldier (21 jan, 2016)

ruby_sauce

Outside the box
Unit is game tested

A soldier from the anime Attack on Titan, using 3d maneuver gear.

previews:

These run at better speeds ingame!
(default - fidget - run x2 - alternative run)

(fortify - attackB - attackA - victory - fortify - attackA - death)

Well, where to begin.. I think this unit has taken the most of my time out of all my units. With limitations to the paperdoll, clothes and my ability to animate, it wasn't easy.

Anyway, if anyone knows the anime, I hope I did it justice. But for those who don't, here's the abridged version: Giant human-like creatures came out of nowhere. They're called titans and range from anywhere between 4 meters to 15 meters, with a few outliers even going beyond that. All they do is catch humans and eat them, that's it. Humanity was pushed to the brink of extinction but with the construction of a few walls they could keep them out. Humans are trained to use 3d maneuver gear, or mobility gear, to be able to kill titans since the only way to take them out is to slice the weak spot in their neck. Well, that's basically it!

the 3d maneuver gear consists of canisters with gas to propel users forward with a booster thing on their lower back. The canister can be seen replaced in the fidget. It also has holders for extra blades, which you can see being replaced in the victory. Lastly it has hookshots to hook onto buildings/trees/titans and get the speed and height required to take down titans.

The run animation is a bit finnicky. From north/south and east/west it loops perfectly, but diagonally it doesn't go as smoothly. If you would be really bothered by it, you can just use the alternative run. Make sure to edit the speed in the .ini to 225 though!

Sounds are included, the mobility gear makes a distinct noise which I hope fans will recognise.

Anyway, enjoy!

download HERE

Last edited:
Unique Unit ruby_sauce... I can certainly see why it required a great deal of time to animate. Not an easy task :goodjob:

As you know, the different directions on tiles have different lengths due to the angle the game is viewed and this can cause much more time to make an animation for each direction look and work as wanted.

Something that may help you with some animations such as special Run, Attack and Death animations is to Parent the center of a unit, in this case the Hip, to a centered Ball (Primitive Prop) that is set invisible. You Rename this Ball with the name of your Unit or just Unit_Ball. Then Parent this Unit_Ball to your invisible Rotate Ball that is used to Rotate the animations for the other directions.

Both of the Balls are in the same position to start but you can move the Unit_Ball in any way you like to move the Unit... Rotate, Up, Down, Forward, Backwards, etc... When you use the Unit_Ball, Key Frames are made to keep the movements. This in combination of the movements you animate directly for a Unit can help lessen the time to make the animation as well as provide more control of the Unit.

... This will also allow you to make any or all directions separately as desired such as the Run animation when you need different lengths and when making a Run Animation manually because a "Walk Editor" will not help a Special Unit or anything other than a Biped Unit. Animate the Run for the Unit moving across the screen as you like then use the Unit_Ball to move the Unit where it Runs in place. It is Helpful for Attacks when you want the Unit to manually Hit another Unit accurately in each Direction. It is helpful for Death Animations because it will be much easier and faster to Rotate the Entire Unit as wanted. When I Animate each direction separately, I Simply add the first Letter for the direction with an underscore line in front of the Animation Name. Examples: E_Unit Run, SW_Unit Run, E_Unit Attack, SW_Unit Attack, E_Unit Death, SW_Unit Death, etc...

If this was altered slightly, it could be used as an out of armor version of stormtrooper FN-2187 ;)

Top Bottom