New unit: Rock Thrower (12 Oct, 2012)

Do you have a stone thrower for the Ancient or Prehistoric Age?
That's what he says. Back in those days, stones were thrown by hand if you didn't have a sling.

That's what he says. Back in those days, stones were thrown by hand if you didn't have a sling.
I was referring to a "Rockthrower with the hand" warrior, something similar to the Rockthrower from the game Empire Earth 1, since it has all the eras of history.

Hmmm now that I think about it, from Empire Earth 1 you could get an awful lot of units for Civilization 3 and all the eras and combat effects... maybe it's nonsense.

^Yep. I think ‘rockthrowers with the hand’, as you call them, i.e. lithoboloi in ancient Greek parlance, should upgrade to slingers, which should in turn join archer-line units in upgrading to crossbowmen/longbowmen and later on gunpowder units.

btw I found a fanciful illustration here on Pinterest.

Edit: I've just remembered that there's the ‘XXth-century USian child throwing rocks’ unit from Vuldacon's EFZI. He has the animations so you could ask Vuldacon how you could use them on a different model.

^Yep. I think ‘rockthrowers with the hand’, as you call them, i.e. lithoboloi in ancient Greek parlance, should upgrade to slingers, which should in turn join archer-line units in upgrading to crossbowmen/longbowmen and later on gunpowder units.

btw I found a fanciful illustration here on Pinterest.

Edit: I've just remembered that there's the ‘XXth-century USian child throwing rocks’ unit from Vuldacon's EFZI. He has the animations so you could ask Vuldacon how you could use them on a different model.
Exact! That's my idea would be the first unit to use the "ranged" attack like the Slingers, Archers etc.

Perfect illustration! :) thank you.

Hmm. The way I see it it'd be rock thrower: 1/1, -1HP, defensive bombardment=1, then slinger (upgrades to crossbowman) as a slightly better unit, in parallel you'd get archer (also upgrades to crossbowman). Just thinking out loud btw for something I want to work on once I get Civ3 back up.

Hmm. The way I see it it'd be rock thrower: 1/1, -1HP, defensive bombardment=1, then slinger (upgrades to crossbowman) as a slightly better unit, in parallel you'd get archer (also upgrades to crossbowman). Just thinking out loud btw for something I want to work on once I get Civ3 back up.
You might want to have slingers upgrade to (gunpowder era) skirmishers to establish a true light infantry line.

Yes, the thing is that the Civ engine doesn't have damage/armour types to play with as other games (e.g. Wesnoth) do, or specific unit- (Civ4) or race-dependent (Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate) combat modifiers. Just to name some contemporary games.

I mean, it'd just be an overcrowded unit tree, distinctions without difference.

I think some of those have actually already been made into units.

In fact, all of them are! I think I probably uploaded my images there when photobucket shut down and applied them to my threads. The recent units I just used the in-forum images, not sure why I never did that before. But all of them should be in the list to my signature, although finding which is which might be a bit of a challenge

So. We still need a TAM-style warrior throwing rocks by hand and preferably a slinger as well (not that I won't point you to the AOE converted slinger).

Top Bottom