New unit: Roman/Hellenistic Siege Quinquereme

Damn!!! Just when I thought the endless tinkering with my Rise and Fall of Rome scenerio was done (I was going to post it today as a matter of fact), another must have flavor unit. You know the Lighthouse wonder is going to make this a real terror to island cities! Thanks!!!!

Originally posted by davbenbak
Damn!!! Just when I thought the endless tinkering with my Rise and Fall of Rome scenerio was done (I was going to post it today as a matter of fact), another must have flavor unit. You know the Lighthouse wonder is going to make this a real terror to island cities! Thanks!!!!
This unit was´nt used by the time of the fall of Rome.

Originally posted by aaglo
But it was at the time of the rise of rome. Can't you read ;) :p
apperently not;)

davbenbak-sorry I only read the last part

edit-I forgot to say, Great unit bud:thumbsup:

Hmm, one might also need amphibious land units to be used in companion with this one, though, in scenarios. Any ideas what those units might be?

Ah, only if it could be possible to make certain transport units carry a SINGLE type of unit (such as a ship of the line carrying, dunno, workers only or something)... This would make it easier to do task-specific units.

Hmm, let me have a look at the conquests forums for that. Maybe there is a certain addition to the editor for this.

SpincruS: In all of the reading I've done about the Roman War Machine, it's never been mentioned where Roman troops would attack a city directly from ships. They would always land the troops, get into formation and attack as standard infantry / cavalry.

This unit might carry 1 or 2 infantry units, but most likely would be used primarly for bombardment / siege work. The ground based attack would come from troops transported to the battleground or troops that marched there on foot.

True, I know that the Roman armies never got into any combat with a skirmish formation (especially attacking a city directly from the sea would count as "skirmish", I'd say, due to the fact that it's spontaneous and happens pretty quickly).

It would, however, add to the originality of the unit.

Originally posted by denyd
SpincruS: In all of the reading I've done about the Roman War Machine, it's never been mentioned where Roman troops would attack a city directly from ships. They would always land the troops, get into formation and attack as standard infantry / cavalry.

This unit might carry 1 or 2 infantry units, but most likely would be used primarly for bombardment / siege work. The ground based attack would come from troops transported to the battleground or troops that marched there on foot.

Originally posted by denyd

Sorry to disagree with you denyd, but how on earth do you climb scaling ladders while "in formation"? :confused:
As for attacking a walled city with cavalry.......

Yes, you are quite right that the Romans, or ANY ancient army for that matter, would first land ashore to set up camp. However, if the target city were on a pominence, with the sea on three sides, then the defenders would have the luxury of concentrating ALL their soldiers on the landward facing wall. What any good besieger wants to do (and the Romans were the best), is to attack the city from both the land AND the sea simultaneously, in order to force the defenders to spread their forces thinly along the whole length of the city wall.

Anyway, because of the scale of Civ3 (where each tile represents something like 60 square kilometres), we sometimes get 'one-tile-island-cities'. Would the mighty Roman Empire say to themselves "we can't attack these directly, so we will just have to leave them alone while we wait for a couple of thousand years until we get Marines"?
I don't think so. :lol:
If Alexander the Great's Macedonians could assult the island city of Tyre from ships, then I'm sure that the Romans could to. ;)

Originally posted by Kryten

Anyway, because of the scale of Civ3 (where each tile represents something like 60 square kilometres), we sometimes get 'one-tile-island-cities'. Would the mighty Roman Empire say to themselves "we can't attack these directly, so we will just have to leave them alone while we wait for a couple of thousand years until we get Marines"?
I don't think so. :lol:
If Alexander the Great's Macedonians could assult the island city of Tyre from ships, then I'm sure that the Romans could to. ;)

Don't forget that Alex built a "mole" (an earthen rampart) out into the sea just so he could attack Tyre simultaneously from both directions.

That having been said, I agree with Kryten -- just as I am, e.g., willing to think (and mod ;) ) a "catapult" as a seige train, so do I think this unit would do special justice to a large prepared assault like Tyre or (hundreds of years later!) the seige of Malta by the Turks vs. the Knights Of St. John -- the naval equivalent of a seige train, with all that implies in (i) cost (ii) bombardment and (iii) "marines" ... Oh and they should move slowly enough not to be able to skip across sea tiles in the Med, and they should plummet like stones in non-coastal water.

Best,

Oz

GREAT UNIT :D- love the work (like the eyes for example ;) :D)

Excellent aaglo. :goodjob:
Oh, and the idea of ‘Marines’, who have some sort of special amphibious ability, is really a modern concept.
In ancient times, ALL foot soldiers, be they Phoenician, Greek, Macedonian, Carthaginian or Roman, were expected to fight on both land AND sea (oh, they may have taken their armour off, but you don't need much training to jump into knee deep water and wade ashore ;) ).

unless you navys fortay was intership fighting, which nessesitated differnt arms, armour for the troops- Rome, and Athens both had ship based medium infantryman who was perfect for such fighting....

Originally posted by Xen
unless you navys fortay was intership fighting, which nessesitated differnt arms, armour for the troops- Rome, and Athens both had ship based medium infantryman who was perfect for such fighting....

....and which cannot be shown in the game. ;)
When it came to making 'amphibious assults', normal heavy infantry was used.
(Think of Caesar's two landings on the beaches of Celtic Briton for example. Ordinary Legionaries....NOT 'marines' :p :D )

....and which cannot be shown in the game. ;)
When it came to making 'amphibious assults', normal heavy infantry was used.
(Think of Caesar's two landings on the beaches of Celtic Briton for example. Ordinary Legionaries....NOT 'marines' :p :D )

Likewise regular troops were used in the Punic Wars with the "corvus", the "crow", which was a spiked gangplank; the heavier armed and more numerous Legionaries successfully swarmed ships thus impaled and pinned and thereby countered the Carthaginians superiority at sea.

-Oz

Great unit aaglo, you're a naval-unit creating dream machine.

I'm thinking about giving this beast a movement of 1 cuz it don't look like it's going anywhere fast. And either I give it lethal sea bombard, so as to allow it to clear out a one-tile island city sufficiently, or else I'll have to give my phalangites or legonaries or whatever the amphibious ability... Hmmm... Too much fun, that's for sure!

If you see a different cannon aaglo's pushing, know that he's up to something new. I just don't get how he's so fast with units. I wish I had those 3D skills. sheesh.. :)

Originally posted by Steph
Then you want a lethal LAND bombardment, not sea
You're quite right, I got myself muddled up there. I meant lethal land bombardment. Doh! :o

First off: aaglo, great ship!
Originally posted by Mithadan
You're quite right, I got myself muddled up there. I meant lethal land bombardment. Doh! :o
You still need a land unit with the amphibious ability, iirc you can't enter a city from the sea, even if it is undefended.

Top Bottom