New Unit: Russian BMP3

I made a drop .flc for this unit so that it can be used as Russian UU BMD-3. The Soviet/Russian BMD APCs were smaller cousins to the BMP that were designed to be used by Soviet Airborne. What's unique about the BMD-3 is that it's the only such carrier designed to be airdropped with the crew inside, ready to roll right over you shortly after hitting the ground. The BMD series drop on a pallet with a single chute. A telescoping rod swings down from the bottom of the pallet and shortly before hitting the ground the rod triggers a rocket to fire which softens the landing. In the real world, the rocket is above the BMD and actually blasts the top of the vehicle. I used a bit of artistic license and grabbed part of Utah's death .flc to pretend that the rocket fires from beneath the vehicle.

Anyway...here it is.

Btw, the parachute is from Balou's spetsnaz unit. :goodjob:

EDIT: Fixed link. :o

Great flic! :thumbsup: It almost makes me wish I hadn't disabled the air drop for mech infantry. :)

P.S. I know the BMD belonged to the VDV, but I already use the Spetsnaz as a Russian para...

P.P.S Your link above does not work since you wrote http:/ twice.

I didn't notice until I posted the preview that the shadows on that flc looked pretty hinky. I changed the animation and it's accessible thru the link above.

Attachments

• bmddrop.gif
    bmddrop.gif
    71.9 KB · Views: 388
I have tried out your animation in game, and it works very nice! It just has one weird side effect I don't understand. On the turn after the drop, when the unit is moved, the first frame of the drop flic is shown. Needless to say, this looks a bit odd. Does someone have an idea why this occurs? Could it be that the drop flic has to have all directions for a smooth transition? If the anim reverts to normal, it seems to behave normally later...

I like this unit.

Does anyone know if the AI in PTW has been programmed to load foot soldiers into APC's with the transport function enabled? I know in civ3 original, the AI never does it. I just bought PTW yesterday and would like to know before fixing up my mod.

Appreciate any help.

Originally posted by unscratchedfoot
Does anyone know if the AI in PTW has been programmed to load foot soldiers into APC's with the transport function enabled?

No. Land transports are something the AI doesn't understand.

Originally posted by Pawel
It just has one weird side effect I don't understand. On the turn after the drop, when the unit is moved, the first frame of the drop flic is shown. Needless to say, this looks a bit odd. Does someone have an idea why this occurs? Could it be that the drop flic has to have all directions for a smooth transition? If the anim reverts to normal, it seems to behave normally later...

There have been some weird problems with the airdrop units. I've had a similar problem with Balou's spetsnaz and others have reported the same thing with the armored shock infantry (is that what it's called? you know, the one that lands on the green gaseous thing). I've seen it with other para units as well. Basically, where there should be a unit standing there's instead a little bunched up thing up in the sky. Don't know the answer.

The armored shock infantry airdrop works fine for me. That is odd for you. As an alternative why not use cargo planes, wyrmshadow made a bunch of really cool ones, and drop the units using a plane instead. Unfortunately you don't get to see the parachute animation that way but its no big deal. After all, in reality it takes a plane insertion to make an airdrop and be subject to air defences.

Top Bottom