News: BOTM 111 - Little GOTM Player vs The Staff - Starts 15 July

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 111: Little GOTM Player vs The Staff

You are Little GOTM Player (awww, aren't you cute... ;) ), and this month it is your challenge to defeat the GOTM Staff! Have you ever felt so grateful to DynamicSpirit that you've wished you could give him all your gold, or been so in awe of AlanH that you wish only to vassal yourself to Him so that you can worship at His feet? Well in this game you get the chance! Or you could just conquer everyone, but that might be a bit risky as you don't know who amongst the GOTM staff is likely to hold grudges...

Just one bit of advice on this map: If I were you, I'd check carefully what you might be up against before you declare war or otherwise upset anyone.

Game settings:
Playing as: Little GOTM Player of The Players
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Emperor
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: Permanent alliances, no goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Fractal (modified)
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Tropical
Sea level: High

Little GOTM Player is Spiritual and Creative, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.

The Spiritual trait gives no anarchy and double production speed of Temple and Cristo Redentor

The Creative trait gives +2 culture/city each turn and double production speed of Colosseum, Library and Theatre

Unique unit: War Chariot (replaces Chariot)
The War Chariot benefits from: base strength = 5, and immune to first strikes. This compares with the Chariot which has: base strength = 4, and not immune to first strikes.

Unique Building: Obelisk (replaces Monument)
Besides the +1 culture/turn of the monument, the obelisk allows you to turn 2 citizens into priests. May be useful for an early shrine...?

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 15 Jul 2016, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15 Aug 2016.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

I love it.

And I'm a bit scared...I wonder which staff member is going to be Monty with a starting Tank or something.

I will be curious if I made the cut, and if so, who I am playing as :)

Warrior to the corn and if no more seafood seen I will SIP, otherwise maybe 1S

Time to guess who our adversaries are!
My 2 centikreds:
KCD is a :viking: and starts with a berzerker or two, already in a transport...
Or a :borg: (but they are not in BtS as a civ so I'm sticking with :viking:)

Hopefully DS wasn't so cruel as to arrange things such that there are 3 'AI-GOTM staff' permanent alliances, combined with multiple defensive pacts...from the start! He wouldn't be that cruel...would he?:run:

Now there's an interesting thought...

If I meet an AI, do I automatically also get contact with his permanent alliance partner (similar to vassals/masters)? Otherwise that could be an unpleasant surprise...

My guess: DynamicSpirit = Mansa. Starting with 500 gold + Universal Suffrage :eek:

If I meet an AI, do I automatically also get contact with his permanent alliance partner (similar to vassals/masters)? Otherwise that could be an unpleasant surprise...
I believe that is so. Meet one civ and get contact with all of their permanent allies too. Also if you stop trading with one civ in a permanent alliance you actually stop trading with them all, making not one but many opponents unhappy and possibly ending important trade deals with the other allies. I learned this the hard way once.

I fear the Staff have some additional techs and/or units that can come as a nasty surprise if we declare on someone. KCD may have a Humbaba (modern artillery) in his back pocket and everyone might have a machine gun defending their capital...:eek:

Can us staff play as Little GOTM Player, or do we need to wait for the worldbuilder save and play as ourselves? :mischief:

Would you like me to create the botm 110 spoilers or will you be doing them soon? :p

A long time ago, DS asked us for permission to use our names in a botm. :king:
So now you learn our real names. :joke:

6 AIs, my guesses
DynamicSpirit - Churchill (English, male)
kcd_swede - Ragnar
deckhand - someone else with boats? One of the Americans
neilmeister - hmmn, what great Aussie conqueror is in Civ? Suryavarman?
AlanH - another english male - but with his Tiger maybe Asoka?
one more?
leif erikson - another viking! so he is likely Ragnar or another american

I believe that is so. Meet one civ and get contact with all of their permanent allies too.

Yes, that is correct. I'm not aware of any way that you can meet one member of a permanent alliance without being able to see the existence of the alliance (Unless you're being completely inattentive :) ). Though on most maps, that's hardly going to be an issue since by the time anyone is able to form a permanent alliance, you'll have long since met everyone.

Can us staff play as Little GOTM Player, or do we need to wait for the worldbuilder save and play as ourselves? :mischief:

Of course you can play. It could become psychologically quite interesting if you are in fact one of the AIs in the game and you end up needing to declare war on yourself :)

Would you like me to create the botm 110 spoilers or will you be doing them soon? :p

Oh bugger. Sorry. I'll do those tonight.

Of course you can play. It could become psychologically quite interesting if you are in fact one of the AIs in the game and you end up needing to declare war on yourself :)

Heck with the Little Gotm Player... if I'm in the game, I'm doing my best to make sure kcd_swede wins it!
:devil:

No way, kcd_swede! I am grateful for hosting the BOTMs but this time you can't win, and neither can you DynamicSpirit. After all, you only get Emperor bonuses :lol:

No way, kcd_swede! I am grateful for hosting the BOTMs but this time you can't win, and neither can you DynamicSpirit. After all, you only get Emperor bonuses :lol:
:agree:
The Little GOTM Player has the spear! :spear:

The competition is now open! And, in an attempt to be superduper-prompt, I've even opened the spoiler threads!

Hi DynamicSpirit, I noticed that there is not a mac save for this GOTM. Would it be possible to get that? I tried to hack around it by just changing the initial line to the MacBuffy file location instead of the windows Mod location, but that just caused a crash. Thanks.

Hi DynamicSpirit, I noticed that there is not a mac save for this GOTM. Would it be possible to get that? I tried to hack around it by just changing the initial line to the MacBuffy file location instead of the windows Mod location, but that just caused a crash. Thanks.

Hi Thomasthebold. You're right, I just checked and the Mac save is missing. I'm not sure why, but I'll get that looked into.

Whoops! I built it, but failed to upload it to the server. Sorry, done so now.

Top Bottom