[BTS] News: BOTM 210 - Mayan Fool, starts April 1, 2021

hi Guys. What about settling on the hit musical. Yes the worker is slower than settling the stone. But you get two good food tiles early instead of just one and throu forested furs and elephants good commerce and production. Also hunting is much earlier than masonry. Im not sure. just interested in opinions. oh an other downside to my sugestion is the lack of early forrests to chop.

@DynamicSpirit we don't have to!
"In addition to MYSTICISM and MINING, I have made your lives
easier by granting you the technology of SAILING.
"

Ok there is one addition. Masonry is not that much slower than hunting but you will need to go bronzeworking first in order to use it. Also bronzeworking will be important for whipping anyway and you get it faster by connecting the furs.
Althou since this is quick speed I might be off on the timing. To be sure one whould need to sandbox that thing. On a higher difficulty I might do that. But on this one it kind of ruins the suprise.

Last edited:
hi Guys. What about settling on the hit musical. Yes the worker is slower than settling the stone. But you get two good food tiles early instead of just one and throu forested furs and elephants good commerce and production. Also hunting is much earlier than masonry. Im not sure. just interested in opinions. oh an other downside to my sugestion is the lack of early forrests to chop.

I like that settlement too, Gets the forested grassland deer right away so it gives 5H/turn toward worker compared to stone-settlement that gives 6H/turn.
However you can settle one turn sooner, so it's just one turn slower worker but based on what we see, the prospets after that are better.

Oh, nwm... quick speed might screw up those timings?

Actually, I did not realize that settling on stone will cost me a turn this also means that settling the hit musical gets the 6 food tile one turn earlier which might nullify the hammer advantage even more. So we will get out the worker almost at the same Time but we will have 3 Tiles to improve immediately one of them being a 5F 1H Tile.
Disclaimer: i did not do any calculations whatsoever. Just gut feeling. If we are able to get bronze and the worker at the same time one could argue that chopping the galley and a settler settling the hitmusical and improving gems and corn faster is more advantageous.

Last edited:

I like that that thought! I'd eyed up settling on the musical - mainly because if you don't put a city on it, you eventually have to put a fort on it to get the musicals, wasting the tile as a worked tile. One wasted tile of course is totally unimportant in the big scheme of things, but completely offends against my need to have perfect cities! :lol: Yes you're right, it gets the two food. And a ton of early happies too. Thanks - I think you've given me a reason to settle where I kinda wanted to do but couldn't justify doing before ;-)

On another note, I hope there's food to the NW - otherwise getting that silver is going to be tough!

@DynamicSpirit we don't have to!
"In addition to MYSTICISM and MINING, I have made your lives
easier by granting you the technology of SAILING.
"

Ummm. Oh. Yeah - you - ummm - spotted my deliberate mistake. Well done! :lol:

We've had a few creative leaders lately, so it's always painful to go without the quick border pops after being spoiled like that. But! no one has mentioned Stonehenge yet.
Settling on stone seems ideal -- made possible by the improved corn.
You get 25% off workers, so you should grow to size 2 (or 3?) before doing a worker. Stone start doesn't need a worker until it has a galley anyway.

We've had a few creative leaders lately, so it's always painful to go without the quick border pops after being spoiled like that. But! no one has mentioned Stonehenge yet.
Settling on stone seems ideal -- made possible by the improved corn.
You get 25% off workers, so you should grow to size 2 (or 3?) before doing a worker. Stone start doesn't need a worker until it has a galley anyway.
Right. Settling on the stone seems like a trap. It’s too obvious. Fool’s gold?

The corn is unimproved floodplains actually, FYI.
Oh, so it's 2 for grass, +3 for fp and +1 for corn = 6? Improved = 9?
----------------------------------------------
I think I can scare ya'all from settling your 1st city on Musicals (on T0).
Let's not forget April fools is the day for dirty tricks/practical jokes.
Settling on musicals T0 (assuming that's possible...it's not 2 moves when moving from water to land? like exiting a galley) What if that orphans several seafood?
I think you want time to explore over to the Ivory before picking the spot cus you only get one city on that island.
You could miss out on as many as eleven!! seafood tiles! that might not be reachable by any other city...ever :eek:

I was gonna drop the elephant on musicals and settle stone, but now I'm thinking the phant should go to stone too in order to explore the marble spot before committing the capital on T1.
Also the stone island area is the only one that could possibly be larger and support more than 1 city.

The only island you can't screw up with an early city selection has the obvious choice of settling on Sheep (not Corn).
But that city needs fishing/BW (whipping) to be able to do anything.

Last edited:
Settling on musicals T0 (assuming that's possible...it's not 2 moves when moving from water to land? like exiting a galley) What if that orphans several seafood?
I think you want time to explore over to the Ivory before picking the spot cus you only get one city on that island.
You could miss out on as many as eleven!! seafood tiles! that might not be reachable by any other city...ever :eek:

I was gonna drop the elephant on musicals and settle stone, but now I'm thinking the phant should go to stone too in order to explore the marble spot before committing the capital on T1.
Also the stone island area is the only one that could possibly be larger and support more than 1 city.

The only island you can't screw up with an early city selection has the obvious choice of settling on Sheep (not Corn).
But that city needs fishing/BW (whipping) to be able to do anything.
Damn. You’re revealing my entire thinking. Well, except for ...

~~~

9 fpt w/irrigation

Note that the settler will lose all movement points when moving from a water tile to a land tile, regardless of the terrain type (or promotions).

Farming the corn will yield 8F, since it does not have fresh water.

Eleven seafood tiles???? Yeah, strictly true if you count what would be in the BFC of a city on the ivory AND what would be in the BFC of a city on the deer (like anyone's going to settle on grassland-forest-deer :crazyeye: ) But some of those would be orphaned anyway coz you can't settle on the ivory AND the deer! At most you'd lose 8 tiles that could theoretically be there with seafood and available by settling on the ivory. This is assuming that @kcd_swede is crueller than I would ever have imagined. Maybe I need to work on my imagination :mischief:.

But now I'm imagining seeing 8 seafoods W of the ivory and settling there.... What would you do with city that had 8 seafoods? Spend the first 60 turns or so building 8 workboats then remember that your happy cap means you can't use them all, before a solitary barb galley comes along and pillages every single one anyway, while your elephant goes on strike in protest at your smothering his (her?) brothers and sisters beneath your capital? :lol:

It is a tough choice between the stone and the musicals. Do we want to be sculptors or actor-singers? (Actor-singer sounds a lot more fun!)

Last edited:
I'd like to make the fool-ish comment that since we don't have the advanced technology called FISHING we can't work the water tiles including seafood ones before we research said tech.

Maybe leaving the elephant in the water T0. And after you settle T1, then decide where to move.
Will he drown if you leave him in the water?
I tested this yesterday with the settler, which drowns on T1.

edit: the Phant did not drown!!! it moved, SW in my case

edit 2: I am an idiot, the settler does not drown. It auto moves as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom