[BTS] News: BOTM 258: Washington, Monarch - Results & Congratulations

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff
BtS BOTM 258 Results:
Lots of hardware for the top 3... not much for the rest. Any thoughts what was the key to a fast victory?
Anyhow, 3 losses and 3 retired games submitted which might be a personal best for me. :satan: But seriously, I have to applaud the sportsmanship. And congrats to all the victors. Unfortunately, I did not finish my play-through because I spent way too much time playing BOTM259. So everyone, even the losses and retirees, receive my "beat the map-maker award" :trophy2:[party]

Summary of Medal Winners:

nocho: 1700 AD Conquest Victory, 168,896 points.

Bemep42: 1842 AD Spaceship Victory, 166,765 points.

Powerfaker: 1660 AD Diplomatic Victory, 160,512 points.

Other Award Winners:

MarleysGh0st: 1950 AD Diplomatic Victory, 39,880 points.

Zeroth5: 1981 AD Spaceship Victory, 15,413 points.

The Dude Esq: 2008 AD Spaceship Loss, 6,338 points.

greatbeyond: 1866 AD Religious Loss, 2,406 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

Any thoughts what was the key to a fast victory?
The economy was tight I think, and required most attention.
=> GWall to save on unit cost
=> My first expansions were focused on cottage area along the one river and also off river (which makes the profit kick in a stage later). I had 4 cities with (reasonable) cottage spam early.
=> The seafood site east of the capital was an excellent natural GP farm. Good for some bulbing and golden ages
I also went Monarchy early for HR Civic and pumped the warriors for city garrison duty, so I could work far more (cottage) tiles.
And I settled 2 islands at the westcoast for better traderoutes, before I sent settlers beyond the lake chokepoint. Some people built GLH, that must have helped too.

In my game I got Optics 700AD and thanks to the ice blockades met AI no sooner than 1050AD. That was early enough for some good tech trades. Then got Communism 1200AD or so. One cannot go wrong with State Property and raising lots of Workshops. With an entire continent at your disposal from here you can cruise to any victory, even when you get to this point 1600AD (but not much later I guess).

I had a nice game. The diplo situation invited me to go that route, easy friendly terms with Cathy and Qin, while Saladin was the biggest with Hammi and Monty vassalized. I did have to conquer and vassal Isabella for the required votes

Congratulations to all the winners!
Just one conquest and no one domination. I played for space from the beginning, only in the end I decided to fight a little. I finished the game on the last day and was in a hurry at the end. Therefore, in order not to accidentally exceed the dominance limit, I stood on the border with Spain for 7 or 8 turns before attacking. As a result, 3-4 turns were not enough for me to capture China after Spain. there was a great chance to combine space with gold. unfortunately, silver again)

Top Bottom