News: Game of the month for Civ V - feedback appreciated

We still got Denmark and Polynesia to cover.

Yes! Denmark and Polynesia please! I still haven't had a chance to play a game with these guys. Seems like I only have time to play two games of Civ per month ... guess which two? ;)

Can we have a little patience please?

Of course. :)

I'm actually not that anxious at all. Just thought it would be useful to discuss the issue openly.

We are currently discussing the situation. 6 days is certainly not enough time, so we are thinking that 1 August will be the first game using BNW.

Sounds good. That was the sort of answer I was looking for.

(Another factor is that some people may not want to buy BNW immediately, or are shopping around to find a good price, so it would be helpful to know the rough timeframe when GOTM would start using BNW.)

From that point, we are considering alternating between BNW and G&K for a while so that those who did not get BNW yet can still participate.

That seems logical. Especially since BNW is supposed to radically change gameplay, so there will be a steep (re-)learning curve.

We will probably create a couple of polls to get input on at least the first couple of games to get us rolling. No need to post the poll too early as there is so much we are not entirely sure of. We also need to see what changes there are in the save file so we can get the submission system up to snuff.

I know everyone is anxious, so we will do the best we can to get moving as soon as we can.

Excellent!

Thanks for the update.

Yes! Denmark and Polynesia please! I still haven't had a chance to play a game with these guys. Seems like I only have time to play two games of Civ per month ... guess which two? ;)

Yes, it would be fun to utilize free pillaging with Denmark.

And Polynesia could be fun with the Moai. Maybe one of the last hurrah's for the old cultural victory!

Excellent!

Thanks for the update.
You're welcome. Sorry for my impatience, too much RL atm. :hide:

What VC would you like to see with Denmark? :mischief:

You're welcome. Sorry for my impatience, too much RL atm. :hide:

What VC would you like to see with Denmark? :mischief:

Personally, I feel like Domination would be most appropriate. So that players can fully appreciate Denmark's two UU's, and all of the strengths of its UA. Most peaceful games would majorly underutilize Denmark's uniqueness.

For Polynesia, I think a Cultural or Domination game or either Continents or Archipelago would be interesting. The Moai tend to be underused, so a Cultural game would allow one to really explore that UI. On the other hand, a Continental Domination game could also be really interesting.

But that's just my opinion. ;)

How about we save Polynesia for BNW so they can use their early sea exploration advantage for founding the World Congress and getting all those far away sea trade routes?

I'd like to request that along with helping set-up some of the achievements, the editors also ensure we have strategics nearby for the UU's that require them. Especially when it's an early UU, such as Byzantium's Cataphract.

I prefer that to be left to chance and let us figure out ways to get them instead of relying on editors and assuming the Rez will be there.

I like small continents domination for Denmark and similar setup for Polynesia cultural victory, I think being able to use their UI will be great. With low water levels as not to overpower their UA, at least other civs can meet each other too.

I don't mean for them to put the resource at the capital, just close enough for the 2nd or 3rd city at least. It's kind of ridiculous when civ that has a UU which requires a strategic resource ends up with the nearest source of that resource on the other side of the continent, or worse not even on their continent.

I know what you mean, but sometimes that happens and we need to adjust plans accordingly. I definitely don't want all games to be like that but occasional curveball like that is fine. It did not help here that it happened on deity, with a tundra start, one of the hardest AI to dispatch early as next door neighbor and few options to found a religion. But I must say it made for a very enjoyable game .... Well so far, I almost was ready to throw in the towel last nite when a huge Egyptian army just walked past my cap in order to attack it and Rome attacked with arty, GWI, MGs, carriers and ghost bombers. I had CBs in cap and XB, muskets and frigates in Roman lands.

But fortunately I don't know where my towel is, never threw it in and I just kept playing, so far so good but not out of the woods yet ;)

It's kind of ridiculous when civ that has a UU which requires a strategic resource ends up with the nearest source of that resource on the other side of the continent, or worse not even on their continent.

It seems good that that should happen sometimes, to me. You shouldn't know just because you are playing a particular civ that you're guaranteed to find a particular resource. That will distort your play, compared to a random map where you have to prepare for both possibilities.

I have a request. When we have a Venice game, please increase the number of city states by at least 4. Since the only ways to expand as Venice are to buy CS's or capture cities, this would help, by filling in some of those city locations other civs could take up.

Just played a "small continents" map with Carthage, where the AI civs were hand-picked to have some kind of naval ability (England, Ottomans, Netherlands, Portugal, Indonesia, Venice, Japan). Tried this because I'm never sure what to do with Carthage -- and I'm sill not sure even after having played this one. It might be interesting to try something similar as a GoTM to see how other people handle them.

Another suggestion for something unusual to try for the GoTM. I just played a king-level game of BNW with an industrial era start. I usually have a pretty easy time on king (with a big lead by the time the industrial era opens), but this one was a serious challenge. Some of the key differences:
  1. Religion is disabled, so you cannot rely on faith points to buy great people.
  2. You have a wider choice of starting policies since everything is open. Tradition is no longer a no-brainer since you can start directly with rationalism. Or aesthetics.
  3. The AI seems stronger, probably because they are closer to tech parity when the more advanced units come around.
  4. Ideologies are going to matter a lot, since everyone is going to get one fairly early.

[*]Ideologies are going to matter a lot, since everyone is going to get one fairly early.
[/LIST]

Sounds interesting. I like this era but really often when you play Civ the normal way no more serious decisions are made in this time anymore.

Sounds interesting. I like this era but really often when you play Civ the normal way no more serious decisions are made in this time anymore.

Yes; that's really the point. With an industrial era start, you now have a lot of serious decisions to make. And the choices and consequences) are different compared to the usual ancient era start. I started a new thread in the strategy forum to give more details about my first tries (and first three losses) with an industrial era start and get some discussion going about how to approach it.

Having a GOTM game with a later starting era (industrial seems a good balance) is a very nice idea for something different. I happened to try a late-era start game (atomic era) just last week and it was quite different. I don't normally get to use the units so much, usually everything is clear by then (or the game was over).

I'd like to suggest that you post the GOTM earlier than you do. If I am not mistaken the past three just so happen to fall on a weekend. It's nice to wake up early and see the challenge ready. But it always seems the maps don't get posted until much later... Like 1PM ET or so.

Can't you prepare maybe one day earlier and then post the maps first thing in the morning on the designated day?

Also just wanted to note that I really liked the rect GOTM with the OCC. I didn't have time to play it myself, unfortunately, but still a great idea!

Also, you have really nice maps - when I play a random game, I hardly ever get such good maps. So thanks for that! :)

Can't you prepare maybe one day earlier and then post the maps first thing in the morning on the designated day?

:lol:

A question, morning where ?
You have a month to deal it. If you're impatient, you can playtest civ and map condition on a single player game. Also, there's HoF.

Top Bottom