News: GOTM123 Pre-Game Discussion; Saves Available!

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

GOTM 123 Pre-Game Discussion!

Please Note: This is the Civ3 PTW Game of the Month. It MUST be played using version 1.27f of Civ3 PTW, the last version. If you installed Civ3 Complete, the default game executable is Civ3 Conquests, but you do have access to the Civ3 PTW executable. You may have to navigate into the Civ3PTW directory to start it.

Next game is out! It's the Aztecs! Downsized the map to Standard, and up'd the difficulty to Deity! 7 AI on an archipelago map - you'll probably need some oars. :) Good Luck!

The saves are available >>here<< December 9th. You will have 1 1/2 months to play and submit; that's roughly January 23rd.

Civilization: Aztecs
Rivals: 7 preset
Barbarians: Roaming
Difficulty: Deity
Land Form: Archipelago, 70% ocean, Standard map.
Geology: 3 billion years old, Warm, Wet

Conquest-Class Bonuses:
  1. Free Pottery and Alphabet
  2. Extra 100 Gold
  3. 2 Extra Spears

Open-Class Bonuses:
  1. OK, Free Pottery

Predator-Class Challenges:
  1. AI get +1 Unit Supper per City
  2. Standard Techs
  3. Galleys cost 40 Shields for you and the AI

A reminder: do not post any game information to this thread after you have downloaded the save file. Absolutely no spoiler information for this or any GOTM is to be posted in this thread!

There's something W-NW. I think it's another incense although it could be wheat. The only reason to move would be for a couple more hills. It's a 3 billion year old map so there should be plenty out there.

I want to go for a 100k victory but I'm not sure I'm up to it on deity. I'd settle at rcp 4 and 8 and then fill in at 2 and 6. I'm wondering how much conquest would be needed to get the space for it. Getting double the culture of the deity AI could be a challenge. Would a good strategy be to play like a domination game, get close to the limit and then go for ICS and possibly pop-rushing?

Maybe I'll go for the military win instead.

There's something W-NW. I think it's another incense although it could be wheat.

Doesn't it look like the hind-legs of another cow?!
BTW: do you think there'll be enough space for RCP 4 & 8 on Archipelago...? :mischief: I think I'll go for 3 and then check whether 7 is possible, otherwise 6. The cheap harbors for being militaristic should be quite useful here.

We need a third opinion here!

Hmm good point about space. I was thinking 4 and 8 with a view to filling in for more culture but you're right, that's definitely not for an archipelago map.

Moving SW would let you put a city on the Incense tile at RCP3 for increased commerce and food production. But the Cattle tile would be out of reach for eleven turns in the capital and you'd start one turn late. Working the Wheat for six turns leaves four of the non-Cattle turns on low food as additional cost.

We need a third opinion here!

Very strange: today on my very good 24" TFT I see nothing on that tile, even after enlarging the jpg with mspaint?! :confused: On my old laptop yesterday evening it definitely looked exactly like the cow legs that are visible on the tile 1E.
civ_steve, did you replace the image?! Or does Firefox display jpegs better than IE?!?

Looks definately cow to me when zooming in.

Attachments

• gotmfog.jpg
    gotmfog.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 98
Just by using the Windows Magnifier, it looks like the hind legs of a cow.

could we please open spoilers for this game? i really might be able to finish a XOTM once again. :) Deity was too tempting to let it pass...
t_x

Can we get another 2-3 days let's say until the weekend? Then I'd be able to submit, too...
(It was a really fun game to play. Would be a shame to let the effort go waste just a couple of meters from the finish line.)

and, did you make it, or did you merely delay it? ;)
t_x

or even better, let´s give the rack a turn! ;)
t_x

Top Bottom