News: SGOTM 12 Results and Congratulations

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
SGOTM12 Byzantine Deity Diplomats.

After a record-breaking marathon, if only in terms of playing time, our gallant teams have posted their final results. All eight games ended in a UN vote ... and seven teams managed to rig the ballot and got elected. The finish dates were:

1050 AD: Spooks
1250 AD: Regular
1280 AD: klarius
1350 AD: Team Zoe
1490 AD: Smurkz
1585 AD: tao
1685 AD: X-Nuts
1320 AD: Ivan - misjudged the mood of the electorate, and lost the vote!

So the Conquests Laurel for fastest finish is awarded to a team that included several previous laurel winners:-

Spooks
Paul#42
Abegweit
killercane
markh,
WackenOpenAir

The recipients of The Wooden Spoon for the lowest Jason score (1357) are:-

Ivan
I. Larkin,
AutomatedTeller,
glenmetz,
nerovats,
Nitfan

Please join me in congratulating the winners and losers.

Full results and detailed stats are available here

nice job spooks

I want the calendar dates of finish to be posted too, since we were the first to finish. At least I got to watch all the other teams finish their games - which was mighty interesting.

I want the calendar dates of finish to be posted too,
Go to the Progress page and display List of Saves - or use this link to go straight there. Hover your mouse over each team's last entry to see the date when it was submitted. FWIW, the final dates range from 28 March to 19 August.

congrats to Spooks with a pretty impressive finish date. Our mistake was to not capture France

AlanH - With a big map how could you expect for teams to finish earlier? ;)

Spooks + Ivan - Congrats on the awards! :D

Simply an observation. I think the range of finish dates demonstrated that it *could* have been finished earlier. However, some teams prefer to take their time and enjoy the journey. And who am I to judge whether they are right or wrong?

And what a journey! This was a very interesting variant.
@Spooks: 1050ad is a fantastic date for this game. Before we started I guessed we might get dates like that. But after we played for a bit I thought that would be unattainable.
@me: < -200fpt on my last turnset. :rockon: Is it an SGOTM starvation record?
@Spooks again: what was happening with the whip and the draft right at the end? I'm surprised you had any citizens left!

Thanks everybody - it was real fun - for what I still remember... :mischief:

Yes, greatest variant ever! :thumbsup: Not as cute as the idea to send Gandhi to the stars but challenging and entertaining. The limitation of towns made dotmapping superflouus and prevented all teams from ICSing, shifting masses of units and other things that burn time and fun in the later game.
@Spooks again: what was happening with the whip and the draft right at the end? I'm surprised you had any citizens left!
Did we whip at the end? :confused: I can't remember. :rolleyes:
And I think we discussed every decision en detail :lol:
It's all in the thread. ;)

Congrats to everyone. Especially Spooks and their incredibly fast finish.

I did like the variant of no new towns. It would be really interesting to go for a domination victory considering it would be a race to capture as fast as possible, but also build enough culture to get the domination tiles.

the fact that this was my first SGOTM, coupled with the fact that I played less than half of this one has made me hungry...hungry for more!!

:goodjob: to everyone ... esp Spooks for their victory, and (of course) Smurkz (just 'cuz I'm biased like that)

@Spooks: 1050ad is a fantastic date for this game. Before we started I guessed we might get dates like that. But after we played for a bit I thought that would be unattainable.
@me: < -200fpt on my last turnset. :rockon: Is it an SGOTM starvation record?

If you look at the food per turn graph, you see a big increase in ours after 450 AD. We preproduced a large worker force before the industrial age, initially they were meant to be joined to cities, but as it turned out, irrigating and rail roading was more important to do. We did everything to make more food so that our cities could grow every 1 or 2 turns.

The corrupt cities needed some improvements in order to be large, we traded a lot of citizens for production while trying to have our cities grow in 1 turn where possible.

Very wise emphasizing food in a research game.

I love workers and food. I think our problem was we lost most of our military to several failed attempts at Teno. We were never able to catch up after that and were focused on shields for more military the rest of the game, rather than being able to focus on more important research stuff.

Congratulations for the winners and all other participants.

And big thanks for this very entertaining variant.

:drool: I'm hot for SGotm 13 - does the Staff already have a schedule? :bounce:

Nope! Gyathaar has only just arrived back in pocket, and I think there's a backlog of stuff to do before he gets a round tuit.

Top Bottom