News: TSG87 Announcement

What I love about this GoTM is that it truly pits every social policy tree against each other on (mostly) even footing. The VC isn't science, so Rationalism isn't a slam dunk, and since you can fill the first tree on t0, it doesn't matter if trees get all their culture on the back end. Piety is obviously the odd man out, but otherwise, first policy choices are a *very* tough decision.

I'm very curious to see what the winning strategy will be, social-policy wise. I suspect it will be a mix.

What I love about this GoTM is that it truly pits every social policy tree against each other on (mostly) even footing. The VC isn't science, so Rationalism isn't a slam dunk, and since you can fill the first tree on t0, it doesn't matter if trees get all their culture on the back end. Piety is obviously the odd man out, but otherwise, first policy choices are a *very* tough decision.

I'm very curious to see what the winning strategy will be, social-policy wise. I suspect it will be a mix.

Or, does Autocracy already include all the tools we need? How fast can you really Blitz in Civ V? It comes so late in game, practically no one ever uses it.

Or, does Autocracy already include all the tools we need? How fast can you really Blitz in Civ V? It comes so late in game, practically no one ever uses it.

Blitz will come almost immediately if you pick the right policies. Although I might favor insta-heal more often than not.

I'm going to run a couple of test games. So far, I'm looking at a few options:

1) Tradition/Liberty/Exploration/Autocracy
2) Honor/Autocracy
3) Commerce/Order
4) Tradition/Rationalism/Order
5) Exploration/Commerce/Order
6) Patronage/Freedom

The possibilities are endless. :D

Well, we can count on 5 policies. I dont know how many more you can expect to get before the game ends. Based on the other comments in the thread, I think the game will be 75-100 turns. So, maybe 5 more policies?

As I said, I think the hardest part will be overseas invasion. Reverse D-Day, haha!

I'm looking at:

1) All Autocracy
2) Commerce/Autocracy

However speed kills and Exploration might be worth considering.

Exploration/Autocracy? Hmm, full Exploration will reveal hidden antiquities worth a whole policy? German archeologist searching for the Grail. Is there anything they didnt think of in Civ V?

Suggestion : Send a couple of cavalry-equivalent units around the map so when someone starts making space parts you keep pillaging his aluminum. Can't win space without aluminum.

They can always build recycling centers. Still might slow them down 10-15 turns, though.

I could get 6 or 7 additional policies in my 66 turns but that is with investing in culture a bit.

Right now I'll just give another try to see if that was just a seijong rush or if you really have a ~75 turns countdown.
If the AI is accurately programmed to make recycling centers you won't gain 10-15turns, pretty sure the AI is able to do buildings in 2 turns with immortal bonuses and how low the cost are.

I think the sleeper strategy here is clearly Liberty/Order, for the free settler with pop 7 (plus two other cities with pop 7).

You know, I was joking when I started this post but we're literally talking about a +33% empire size right off the bat. More if you wouldn't go order.

Think about it -- you go full Auto, you have ... well, 5 autocracy policies, and three 4-pop cities.

You go Liberty/Order, you have 1 4-pop city and three 7-pop cities. Even without the other tasty benefits ... DAMMIT WHY DID I SHARE THIS AWESOMENESS?

I could get 6 or 7 in my 66 turns but that is with investing in culture a bit.

Right now I'll just give another try to see if that was just a seijong rush or if you really have a ~75 turns countdown.

If the AI is accurately programmed to make recycling centers you won't gain 10-15turns, pretty sure the AI is able to do buildings in 2 turns with immortal bonuses and how low the cost are.

Well, they still have to get to Ecology before they can start building anything, if they're smart enough to know that -- so I was building in some extra turns there -- are they smart enough to drive to Ecology if they have no AL, or will they go for Robotics and such first?

I think the sleeper strategy here is clearly Liberty/Order, for the free settler with pop 7 (plus two other cities with pop 7).

You know, I was joking when I started this post but we're literally talking about a +33% empire size right off the bat. More if you wouldn't go order.

Think about it -- you go full Auto, you have ... well, 5 autocracy policies, and three 4-pop cities.

You go Liberty/Order, you have 1 4-pop city and three 7-pop cities. Even without the other tasty benefits ... DAMMIT WHY DID I SHARE THIS AWESOMENESS?

While that sounds cool, your 7 pop cities cannot work any hammer to not starve, so I tried it and quickly abandoned the idea.

Well, they still have to get to Ecology before they can start building anything, if they're smart enough to know that -- so I was building in some extra turns there -- are they smart enough to drive to Ecology if they have no AL, or will they go for Robotics and such first?

They need ecology to finish the spaceship anyway and teching through it Seijong did it blazingly fast, first space part to last part was 10 to 15turns. But yeah maybe you can save the day doing it at the end, wouldn't count on it gaining you a lot of time though :p

While that sounds cool, your 7 pop cities cannot work any hammer to not starve, so I tried it and quickly abandoned the idea.

At first, while you bring up cargo ships/etc. this is true. But if research comes into play here (which I think i does) that initial population boost is very important.

However, if you're stagnating from turn 1, perhaps full Tradition for aqueducts is a smarter play. I think the 66 turn SV is a fluke personally, but there's definitely a limited research window. And artillery aren't going to cut it. So research matters.

Aqueducts are dirt cheap dont sacrifice 6policies to get them.

The real issue with going 7 pop expansions is that you really cannot work hammers. You need almost only 2 food tiles in your first ring, no desert no mountain no hills (or only 1tile).

With what is shown on page 1, territory is plains. So I really don't see it as a viable strategy.

Early on I would think this is true but by turn 15 after the workers have done their thing I have to believe that those cities are outproducing and outsciencing the 3-city 4-pop civilization. But I haven't tried it yet.

Well maybe but after 15 turns, the 3 city 4pop will be at 5/6 with more of everything else. Probably faster universities and schools.

I'll wait for you to try it and share your experience, I quickly abandoned that idea but maybe if you work around it you'll get something interesting I don't know.

With what is shown on page 1, territory is plains. So I really don't see it as a viable strategy.

I am pretty confident that I can get the idea to work (also -- +1 prod! +5% to buildings! +1 culture per city!) EXCEPT for your exceedingly good point that there may just be (probably is) plains plains plains everywhere, in which case this is a horrible idea.

I am pretty confident that I can get the idea to work (also -- +1 prod! +5% to buildings! +1 culture per city!) EXCEPT for your exceedingly good point that there may just be (probably is) plains plains plains everywhere, in which case this is a horrible idea.

Duh. To do what I'm suggesting costs six SPs, not five. Liberty/Order I mean. Neeeevermiiiiind.

Since we are sharing, I'll say the AI will be extremely vulnerable in the first few dozen turns until they can get some defenses up. See the previous TSG advanced start as Russia. In that window 2 or 3 artillery with city attack can easily take a capital. The neighboring civs should fall quickly. This will impede the science pace for all remaining civs and our empires will include several annexed caps.

Acken - How far did you get in research in 75 turns?

I had all relevant military techs, missed the robot and the upper part of the tree. But I wasn't able to use stealth bomber for more than a few turns.

Early wars seems not possible, the AI will put out artillery in the first turns and building military will just kill your science/production. Like the russia game, a tech advantage will kill an AI: Rocket artillery, bombers, battleship. But it still takes time to bring them down, and as soon as they start massing SAMs and get 130 strength cities it really really slows.

A possibility I'm evaluating at is that since the coastal capitals are the easiest, to simply field ships for the first conquests and kill land capitals only later with rocket artillery, nukes and Xcom. Battleships destroyers and carriers come fast enough and are on the way to better land techs anyway.

I'll go against the grain and pick Freedom... smells like the best option for a rush-start without starvation...

Top Bottom