NFL Off Season 2017

Thanks for helping me discover @PFTcommenter, which I've never heard of before. This is wonderful.

Meh... the players are saying it. Michael Bennett and Marshawn Lynch being two of the latest to levy the charge. Also, being the posterboy (or being seen as the "leader") of a controversy sometimes draws harsher treatment than being a simple participant. You know that.

Anyway, since they work for the NFL and I don't, I'm willing to give their take a little cred... moreso than people outside the NFL speculating. In any case, it seems clear to me that he's not signed, because he sucks AND he has all that protest baggage attached to him. Just like Tebow... he wasn't passed over because of the religious circus he brings... he was passed over because he sucks AND carries a religious circus with him. If either of those guys didn't have the baggage, they'd be passable as mediocre backups. But you don't want a circus/controversy along with a mediocre player... its just not worth the hassle.

Also, you don't "hate to criticize the BLM people"... not remotely ;)

It's not just being mediocre. Back up quarterbacks are expected to be mediocre. It also isn't so much the 'circus.' Heck, lots of players are nonstop circus and aren't that good as players.

The problem is the nature of the circus and the way it is taken by a measurable slice of media/fans as making the player not mediocre. Kaepernick, or Tebow, as a backup quarterback, bring some group of fans that is too big to just ignore who are going to be demanding from day one that they should be the starter. Backup quarterbacks have an obligation to help quash such uprisings, especially when they don't have the talent to merit the support. Whether Tebow or Kaepernick has the will or not, their particular circuses make it impossible for them to do even if they want to.

Ifedi, who we were counting on to be good this year, was crap. Fant who was playing legitimately good got injured (probably out for the majority of the season) and the injury was caused by another O-lineman (Joeckel) who we were counting to be good.

I'm not sure what they're going to do, but they're going to have to figure it out quick.

If Deshaun Watson is even halfway legit the Texans team is a Super Bowl contender. More importantly, given recent events, it's too much of a feel good story for them not to go and win. Similar to how the Saints cheated the Packers out of the NFC Championship from all those illegal hits on Brett Farve, the same will happen for Houston. If in this scenario Farve is replaced with Drew Brees, that will be poetic justice.

Similar to how the Saints cheated the Packers out of the NFC Championship from all those illegal hits on Brett Farve,

I'd be a little more hurt by this if you got the team we played right (and if the investigation hadn't been the same disaster every NFL investigation is but that's another story).

Clearly, the Jets know even less than I do. The worst team in the NFL just lost their best player. Perhaps these kinds of decisions are what led them to become the worst team in the first place. That said, we are gonna be stacked.

I disagree with "most." It's pretty easy when you describe it as "settle" and you're talking among fans of teams with serious championship histories. But the reality is that "most" teams suck, have sucked, and understand that they probably will continue to suck. Present those owners with an "Andy Reid situation," (ie over the next fifteen years you'll have way more seasons in the playoffs than out, many by division title and including super bowl runs, though no super bowl wins) and I think there'd be far more who would take the deal than wouldn't.

The 49ers think they are a championship franchise because they are as deluded by history as the Cowboys. The Squawks could turn down Andy Reid legitimately, but in about five years when they are looking back at their half decade wonder (small cut above one hit wonder) experience they'll wish they hadn't. The Rams barely remember the greatest show on turf, and when they trotted out Vince Farragamo LA gave a collective 'who's that old guy?" They would leap at the chance to be a consistent winner, and the Cardinals might too.

I love this post, except the bolded part. Seahawk history. The franchise has had the following playoff appearances: 1983, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

division title winners:
And the franchise has only been around since 1976. And during the 90's (while we sucked the most) it didn't help that the team was almost bankrupt and in the process of (trying) to move and it was chaotic.

With all of this said, I don't think you could call us "half decade wonder". The Pete Carroll era alone will probably last about 10 years (I expect him to retire in 2020 or 2021). We had an "Andy Reid experience" (if I understand your term correctly) from Mike Holmgren. The real question is would we get another Andy Reid experience after Carroll retires. My opinion is just to hire someone else as close to Caroll as possible, someone very familiar with the best college players coming out of the draft yet also has previous NFL experience. Maybe that formula works.

Top Bottom