NFL Off Season 2017

I don't like the Cowboys at all but as a Seahawk fan, it is a Cardinal sin to root for a division rival.

As an Eagles fan the perspective is different.

Apparently the Cowboy's camp bodies are better than the Cardinals' camp bodies...

Apparently the Cowboy's camp bodies are better than the Cardinals' camp bodies...
I was pleased when the Cardinals just trampled all over them for the first two drives even though that was still just camp bodies.

The two most important Cardinals players (at least on the offense), which would be Larry Fitzgerald and Carson Palmer, are both getting older. There are rumors that Bruce Arians himself plans on retiring soon.

It should be interesting to see how the Cardinals restructure themselves in the next 5 years. I'd anticipate things getting worse before they get better. Although I do appreciate my division rival getting worse. We could use free wins.

I think they said Tannehill is out for the season with an injury. Tannehill didn't seem to be great, to begin with, and presumably, the backup options were even worse.

It was going to be bad news no matter what. The only question is, is the Gay Cutler news any worse than the other possibilities.

There is hardly anything worse than Jay Cutler, but at least in this case the Dolphins are presumably looking at a one season and one season only fill in and have no intentions about building the team around him.

Somehow I doubt people in Miami would love what he said about Castro. That's kind of what blows my mind about the Kaepernick thing, people act like all he did was kneel for the anthem - which is honestly not even a big deal - when there was waaaaay more than that(including, you know, not bothering to vote when there was literally an initiative on the ballot to let more people out of prison).

Unfortunately I've seen a schism even on CFC where people can't decide if they want to defend Cuba or not

I'm just saying if you're going to praise Castro's Cuba, don't expect a warm welcome in Miami where a lot of people ended up after risking their lives to escape Cuba.

It doesn't affect me personally (although it was a really ignorant point to make to start with) but it's hard to tell those exiles that's it's not a big deal.

And Kyle Sloter saves the night from an otherwise terrible performance from the Broncos...It seems the same problems from last season (poor offensive line, QB play, run defense) are still present...

Ultimately the 3 things you need to consistently be an elite team (I'm defining 'elite team' as a team that could potentially reach the AFC/NFC championship each year) is 1) great General Manager. 2) Great Head coach. 3) great starting quarterback.

Denver had all 3 ingredients but the recipe lost 2 of them (Gary Kubiak and Peyton Manning). John Elway can only do so much.

Losing Wade Phillips as a defensive coordinator also hurt, surely.

Ultimately the 3 things you need to consistently be an elite team (I'm defining 'elite team' as a team that could potentially reach the AFC/NFC championship each year) is 1) great General Manager. 2) Great Head coach. 3) great starting quarterback.

Denver had all 3 ingredients but the recipe lost 2 of them (Gary Kubiak and Peyton Manning). John Elway can only do so much.

Losing Wade Phillips as a defensive coordinator also hurt, surely.
Agreed, and it seems it's going to take a long time to get at least the other 2...Jury's still out on Vance Joseph...I don't think Siemian or Lynch are the answer at QB...Trevor is probably the starter, but he's failed to impress me and Paxton has actually regressed from where he was last season...

I'd be lying to tell you I keep a close on the Broncos but from what little I've done, Mr. Irrelevant, ironically, they see the most potential in.

I hate to criticize the BLM people but I'm sick of "nobody will get Kaep because he won't stand for the pledge". A crap ton of black players are doing the same, but they have gotten to keep their jobs. Why? They don't suck.

I hate to criticize the BLM people but I'm sick of "nobody will get Kaep because he won't stand for the pledge". A crap ton of black players are doing the same, but they have gotten to keep their jobs. Why? They don't suck.
Meh... the players are saying it. Michael Bennett and Marshawn Lynch being two of the latest to levy the charge. Also, being the posterboy (or being seen as the "leader") of a controversy sometimes draws harsher treatment than being a simple participant. You know that.

Anyway, since they work for the NFL and I don't, I'm willing to give their take a little cred... moreso than people outside the NFL speculating. In any case, it seems clear to me that he's not signed, because he sucks AND he has all that protest baggage attached to him. Just like Tebow... he wasn't passed over because of the religious circus he brings... he was passed over because he sucks AND carries a religious circus with him. If either of those guys didn't have the baggage, they'd be passable as mediocre backups. But you don't want a circus/controversy along with a mediocre player... its just not worth the hassle.

Also, you don't "hate to criticize the BLM people"... not remotely ;)

Ok fair enough.

Unrelated note: I am theorizing the problem with the Ravens right now (not particularly keeping up with them but just this one thing) is they are stuck with a bad Quarterback.

To put it another way, once a Quarterback gets you a Super Bowl ring, it is much harder to keep your fans content to get rid of him.

The truth was either the 49ers or the Ravens were going to get stuck with a bad quarterback for a prolonged period. As you said, Kaepernicks politics didn't help. I still think if he earned the 49ers a Super Bowl ring they would keep him.

Joe Flacco has a Super Bowl ring. Nobody can take that away from him, and once you have a ring, you are within the 'elite few.' The vast majority of NFL QBs will never get one.

Whether Flacco deserves to be with the elite few is a separate issue. But he is, regardless.

finally: Not a Ravens fan but I was happy the Ravens won that Super Bowl.

1) Flacco sucks but not as bad as Kaepernick. It would have been even more of a disgrace if Kaepernick got a Lombardi Trophy.

2) Ray Lewis is the type of man you should respect regardless of whether he plays for your team or not. It was cool to see him get to retire like that.

3) The Ravens beat the Patriots in the AFC championship game, in New England. That's wonderful.

4) As a Seahawks fan, it's just my job to hate the 49ers.

Top Bottom