NFL Off Season 2017

Their Old Stadium was extremely old. It's almost as old as you. Only Soldier field was older, and at least Soldier field got renovated. And that stadium will be paid for by the stupidly spoiled taxpayers, not by the hard-working Rams.

Last edited:
Their Old Stadium was extremely old. It's almost as old as you. Only Soldier field was older, and at least Soldier field got renovated. And that stadium will be paid for by the stupidly spoiled taxpayers, not by the hard-working Rams.
Almost as old as me... that's funny. :p The Colosseum is the oldest NFL stadium in the US, it actually opened a year before Soldier field. But both of them are almost 100, so a little older than me for sure :old:

Anyway...We're mixing stadiums here. I'm talking about the St. Louis Stadium (America's Center Dome) which opened in 1995. I'm not convinced that leaving St. Louis did anything to improve the quality of play for the team. The Packers, Raiders and Chiefs have old stadiums... they seem to be doing OK.

Last edited:
From a financial standpoint, it more than doubled the net value of the Rams as a franchise. I forget the exact statistic and where I got it from, I'm lazy to google. If you are an owner of a franchise this is a no brainer. Owners are in it for the money much more than the glory.

From a financial standpoint, it more than doubled the net value of the Rams as a franchise. I forget the exact statistic and where I got it from, I'm lazy to google. If you are an owner of a franchise this is a no brainer.
What are you referring to by "it"?

OK I got it... However, that is changing the subject. I said:
I'm not convinced that leaving St. Louis did anything to improve the quality of play for the team. The Packers, Raiders and Chiefs have old stadiums... they seem to be doing OK.
In the last 5 years the Rams were 7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10, 7-9 and then they moved to LA and went 4-12.

OK I got it... However, that is changing the subject. I said:In the last 5 years the Rams were 7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10, 7-9 and then they moved to LA and went 4-12.

Well, it seems obvious enough that you are right on that. I don't think that anyone expects a change of venue to affect quality of play...other than through the eventual improvement that theoretically comes with more revenue. Of course that's another example where 'trickle down' has proven to be a dubious theory at best.

"Another" example? What was the first? :mischief:

I dunno if it was 'first,' but American economic policy for the past four decades was definitely prior to any NFL fan's "sooner or later the increased revenue will get past the owner and be evident on the field" fantasies.

Of course that's another example where 'trickle down' has proven to be a dubious theory at best.

In fairness, the NFL never pretended that any money was trickling anywhere except the owners' pockets as near as I can
recall - except perhaps for FDR type vagueness that wishful thinkers could seize upon.

In fairness, the NFL never pretended that any money was trickling anywhere except the owners' pockets as near as I can
recall - except perhaps for FDR type vagueness that wishful thinkers could seize upon.

I dunno....it seems to me every owner claims that they are going to prioritize making the team better, getting the best players, blah blah blah. How vague is that, really? I think it is more in the 'outright lie' range.

I suppose, but given that the 'outright lie' has been going on at least since the days Hugh Culverhouse, it comes
across as white noise to me.

There seems to be some truth to it. The Patriots have done very well. New England has high levels of income, high levels of education, low crime, etc. Ditto for Seattle/ Pacific Northwest.

Denver has done well. I think they are in a similar condition.

The 49ers have had long success. Do I even have to mention how highly educated and the high incomes from the Bay Area? New York has all kinds of people, but then they have a huge population base. The Packers obviously don't have a good quantity of fans, but their quality of fans is exceptional.

Dallas is not a particularly rich place but then they are 'America's team'. It's obviously not a 100% thing (nor should it be) but I'd say there's a pattern here.

The Boston area has racked up way too many championships in all 4 major sports for it to all mean nothing. The Atlanta, Georgia area has nothing to compare that to. I won't say the Super Bowl is rigged but I did find it heartbreaking.

Is Boston vastly different today than it was twenty years ago?

If the "quality of the city" has something to do with this 'racking up championships' something must have changed...because twenty years ago Ray Borque was leaving after 21 years with the Bruins because he had to leave to get his name on the Stanley Cup, the Red Sox hadn't won a title since they were cursed by Babe Ruth somewhere around the first world war, the Patriots stunk, had stunk for their entire existence, and by all appearances were going to continue to stink, and the glory days of the Celtics were a decade gone into the twilight. Boston was the sad sack of professional sports.

I think you're right now. I concede.

Is Boston vastly different today than it was twenty years ago?

If the "quality of the city" has something to do with this 'racking up championships' something must have changed..

I don't think the "quality of the city" is really relevant - the Steelers and the Pirates went through a glory period in the 70s when Pittsburg was
going to hell in a handbasket and creating the concept of Rust Belt.

And the fortunes of the LA and SF pro teams don't seem to be strongly related to the quality of their respective cities.

The Lakers are evidence that the team ownership/management is the critical factor.

I know the HoF game is even more meaningless than the average meaningless pre-season game...but I am still enjoying Dallas getting their tail kicked.

Top Bottom