No Treasure for Pirates

Same symptom with the new file and also when using the admin password. :cry:

I guess that's it. I loaded the previous turn to check, whether anything extra-ordinary would happen this turn, like a completion of a tech or of a unit/building I haven't built up to now, but nothing of the kind. Was there anything special during the French turn? Perhaps we can determine and eliminate the cause for the crash, when we make the other fixes on the biq?!

Hmmmm. Have you tried reinstalling the game?

And can you load other files? Including earlier savegames from this same game.

Last edited:
*curses impotently*
I'll replay the savegame I got from Eclipse last time and try sending a new one -influenza's getting the better of me so expect it tomorrow or the day after. I'll try to replicate the conduct from the last time I played it i.e. deploying fleets to the Netherlands and move in on the Portuguese colonies.

Right, I'm replaying it right now.
list of actions:
accept Naval Tactics from Mad Jack Rackhem
move workers around to build mines near Bayonne
move corvettes returning from cutthroat island back north along SA coast (no bombardment), other fleets deployed converging on New Lyons.
convoys moved across sea w/ 1 settler and a treasure unit (pls no sinkies)
2 Frigates & 1 Ship of the Line 3rd rate bombard "Amsterdam", ship in port damaged (3 HP taken)
Settlers shipped from New Orleans
Matchlock Musketmen in North America returning to base, one near New London and one near San Antonio.
Overwrite? Yes!
Mad Jack will be sent 100 gold next turn (sorry, I forgot and I don't want to re-re-re-replay the turn, I just want to see what's going on).

No help... :(

So what can we try next? I would suggest that in addition to the bugfixes we have already found, we also remove any game feature that is in place, but not really used by the game. The less "dead features" there are, the less chances of having some kind of "inconsistency" in the game. (Most probably this is what is causing the current crash.) Stream-lining the ships should also help in simplifying the game. (I'll write more on that in the bug thread.)

So if everyone is still interested, I could do some work on these points next week, and then we can start a new round.

@Takhisis: what you could perhaps try is to play the French turn a couple more times, doing completely different things (or nothing at all) and then open the English turn afterwards to see what happens. (You have my password now, so that should not be a problem.) Oh, and good recovery, by the way... ;)

OK, this is what I will do. I'll try to load the save with the password you emailed me, then I will replay the game several times and save the results with different names.
In one game I will touch nothing.
In another I will not give or take through diplomacy anything.
In another I will not move units.
In another I will do everything, as described in my post above.

Does anyone have any other variant to suggest? I'll play it tomorrow.

Well, they have been played and sent.

None of them works. (BTW: I sent you my pwd so that you can already open them at your end... ;))
I guess we should not put more effort into this. Let's rather put the effort into improving the scenario for a new game... Does anybody have a bit modding/editor experience?

I… do, to a degree. But I'm not even sure what is going on anymore. :/

We just implement what we have collected in the first 2-3 posts of the bug thread, plus a simplified ship-tree. Settings in the biq should be straight-forward, but I'm not sure, whether I know how to delete/add units?! I can imagine that the unit setting in the biq, the art files, the civilopedia entry and the pediaicons.txt entry for that unit all need to be in sync?

I… could do that, with time to think. Can we get over the upcoming festivities and the corresponding mandatory surfeits of food and drink?

That way we also get enough time to compile all the necessary reforms.

*after five years* The what now.

Exactly! @Lanzelot including this thread in his signature is a little superfluous if its totally dead.

Nonsense. One day™ we shall make the scenario file actually work.

Also, it's not dead if you're posting in it…

Top Bottom