NOOB needs advice on CIV V

CalGal

Chieftain
I'm brand new to Civilization. I've been playing for awhile now but I'm STUMPED about some things. I have three civilizations but I'm having trouble expanding them.

1. My Triremes can't explore. I'm stuck sailing around in circles. Game won't allow me to explore the oceans in order to discover new civs.

2. Ditto for my scout. There is nowhere for him/her to go, as the territories surrounding me are already occupied.

Basically I am "space-barring" through the game until Next Turn or New Construction/Research etc options appear. I have moved up into the different eras (Renaissance currently). But am I stuck here forever in this area of the map? Do I have to declare war on someone?? Getting bored fast!

Just as an aside: Every time I SAVE the game, then Exit to Windows, I get a message saying "Your game is not saved. Are you sure you want to exit?" WTF?!! :confused:

You'll need to research Astronomy so your Scout can embark into ocean tiles and you can upgrade your Triremes to Caravels. Or generate a Great Admiral.

1. Early ships do not have the capability to explore deep ocean, you need to stay in the light-colored coastal waters for triremes and galleases. Your first boat that can sail all seas is the caravel and if you're in the Renaissance you're close to that point. After astronomy, Once you build one you can sail with impunity. Lime mentioned, a great admiral can do this immediately, but is also vulnerable to barbs so is a gamble.

2. You have to get scouts around territory early before you're blocked off as you've discovered. However, you can sign an "open borders" agreement to allow you to get through the territory of other players. This ability comes with the tech "civil service" and if you are to the Renaissance you probably already have it. The option should be in the diplo menu.

3. If you are bored, I often find it fun to invest in a religion (missionaries and prophets can move through other's territory and convert), go to war, or improve a lot (build workers and manually use them to improve the heck out of everything...this is beneficial anyway as it'll make your cities grow faster and be more productive.

4. The game always says that about the save. It's ******ed, but it doesn't mean you haven't saved if you know you have.

Top Bottom