North Korea finally joins the modern world

Greadius

:yeah:
After 5 decades of heads in the sand policy, North Korea is finally going to open its first 'special economic zone' allowing most aspects of liberal capitalism to enter the country for the first time.

See, it didn't take them THAT long to admit they were wrong.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/east/09/23/nkorea.economic/index.html

From the article:
"It will be a totally capitalist region" Yang said in a CNN interview. "It will have its own legislative, judicial and executive powers without any interference from the [North Korean] central government."

Dunno why you think capitalism is more modern than communism. Communism is the epitome of human development, but it won't work unless humans are developed enough. Luckily we have capitalism to hold our hand for the time being. :)

I think joining the modern world is hyping this up a little too much. Its just a "special economic zone" in some run-down town in the N. Korea-China border. I read the article in the Times this morning, someone called that "zone" the most desolate place in North Korea.

As Ohwell said, communism will work when the world is ready. Which it is not right now. Capitalism works right now, but will be old hat in the far future.

[I'm trying not to turn this into ANOTHER comunism-capitalism thread, Greadius]

Really? That is what I was aiming for :lol:

I say its a big step because up until now, the North Korean government refused to budge on these issues. This is just the first step in the right direction, and although a small step, is still a big turn around.

I think the difference between 'Communist' North Korea and 'Capitalist' South Korea, using the real world defintions instead of the utopia-theories, highlight why I think of one as modern and the other as backward.

Communism is the epitome of human development, but it won't work unless humans are developed enough. Are you serious? We as humans have not reached our potential, which is why Communism does not/can not/will not work? Maybe change that "developed" to "brainwashed" and ya ever hear that old saying, 'Wish in one hand...'? Communism will work when the world is ready? Yah, and Pellaken will be President of the United States when the world is ready. But not to take this thread off topic...

Well, South Korea was helpin out North Korea with food shortage problems and such recently. Don't know why though. NK has some space to plant some crops. Go figure. But not to take this thread off topic...

:D

first they confessed the kidnappings of the japanese and now this. i hope dubya can stay patience for a while.

well they are following china into a capitalist system, hopefully the two koreas will join in the near future, like a late german-reunification

Originally posted by stalin006
well they are following china into a capitalist system, hopefully the two koreas will join in the near future, like a late german-reunification

I don't think it likely. But maybe. Lots of bad blood there.

Yeah, the two Germanies were torn apart by Joe Stalin and his communist goons, not by choice. It was only natural that someday they would reunite.

The two Koreas are a whole different situation. North Korea brutally attacked its neighbor, and has little to offer the modern and robust South. It would be good enough for the border to just open up and become demilitarized.

One less flashpoint in the world would be a welcome change.

As for this "free economic zone", it sounds kind of half-assed. Perhaps they are setting it up to fail for propoganda puposes?

Originally posted by Greadius
Really? That is what I was aiming for :lol:
Yeah, kind of an intelligent troll thread, Greadius ;)
I think the difference between 'Communist' North Korea and 'Capitalist' South Korea, using the real world defintions instead of the utopia-theories, highlight why I think of one as modern and the other as backward.
Calling it "backward" implies that it was modern at least once. And you don't really want to tell me that stone-age Stalinism ever was the peak of all political systems, right? :p

stalinism is bad for a contryes health.........unless in war.........maybe........

stalin006ism is the way of the future!!!!!! :p j/k

I dubious, but hopeful. It would be nice if they made a real effort at getting this "special economic zone" right. Many people thought China would just plunder Hong Kong and leave it to rot, and were surprised when that didn't happen. Perhaps now North Korea will surprise us.

well if the n korean rulers see its probiding cash for their poor economy they will keep it open, altough lets remember that hong kong was already an economic boom, this north corean place will have to start form scratch and that will probalby be its downfall since probably mafia and curruption will rule it.........but hwat do i know i am 16

This is nonsense.

North Korea "opened itself" up to tourism a few years back, and built some hotels and that...the only part of Pyongyang they see is the more wealthy Communist Party officials.

* No videotaping without supervisor approval. Video is edited at end of tour, and resold to you.

* No photographs without supervisor approval. Photos containing the truth about North Korea are disposed by the customs official.

* Talking to anyone that isn't a supervisor or a tourist will result in detention for both talker and talk-ee.

* During all hours of the tour, you are under constant supervision. Any unauthorized, unsupervised wandering will also result in detention.

...and this is a country that's in the "modern world?"

I disagree.

also the broadcasting of the opening of the soccer world cup korea-japan 2002 was shown in N korea.......as a token of unity........funny, less than 5 % own a tv (not sure about the statistic but is close i guess)

There is one state-controlled TV station in North Korea, and ANY television in the country must be modified by the government so that it doesn't receive broadcasts from South Korea.

Did you know now that "e-mail" is allowed in North Korea now? It's true, all you have to do is sign up with the state service, send your message to the government and who you want it to be sent to. It's edited by censors, and then sent on to the receiving party for a fee.

Truly amazing how North Korea can still have such brutal control over information in it's borders.

North Korea becomes Modern, when the PRC becomes a Republic or Democracy.

Does anyone have some demographics? I know a few years ago the population of South was expanding at a much faster rate. Back in the 50's the two were roughly equal size. Now S Korea has a major industrial base, tons more money and, I think, twice the population. One has to think that the N Korean government is getting scared sh itless.

J

When I said "joins the modern world", I meant joins the modern world in recognizing communism (stalinism :p) as a failure and moving towards a workable economic system.

Originally posted by floppa21
I don't think it likely. But maybe. Lots of bad blood there.
I've only met a handful of Koreans, so it would be unfair for me to take their opinion as a mark of the population. However, the impression I got was that they consider North Koreans to be the same people, with the same culture and history (remember, to them history is thousands of years, not 50). They don't like the North Korean government, but have nothing against the people.

Originally posted by Hitro
Yeah, kind of an intelligent troll thread, Greadius
:jesus: My whatever do you mean? I just posted a timely news article worthy of discussion about the failures of communism. I don't make news, just report it ;)

Originally posted by Hitro
Calling it "backward" implies that it was modern at least once. And you don't really want to tell me that stone-age Stalinism ever was the peak of all political systems, right?
When the Korea's were torn apart, they were almost identical in most social and economic regards (they had been administered as one country by Japan). South Korea was actually in worse shape in some ways. So when one charts both of their progress since the split, it is clear one move 'backwards' (relative to the rest of Asia) while one move 'forward' (once again, relative to the rest of Asia).

Top Bottom