Not enough memory ?

pittsborojim

Chieftain
Hi. I got Civ IV for Mac for Christmas. I easily installed it on my Macbook Pro (2.53 GHz intel core i5 processor/ 8 GB 1067 MHz DD3 memory) I have 364 out of 500 GB free space on my HD. I got well into a game, then saved it and quit. Now when I try to re-launch Civ IV, I get an error box telling me I need at least 1 MB of free space and that I should free up more space and re-launch. I obviously do not have a free space issue. Can anyone suggest what problem I have and how I might fix it. Thanks.

Which OSX version are you using (10.10, 10.9, 10.8,10.7, 10.6)?

Also, this sounds more like an OS error than a game error. Have you tried rebooting your system?

Have you followed the advice in the thread below called "How to get Civ4:BTS working on OS X Yosemite"? There is a Python problem that has to be dealt with as discussed in that thread.

I have not, but will read the tread and try to follow the instructions. Will post agin after I try to let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

I just checked out the thread. The initial post states: When you try to launch BTS (or Warlords or Colonization) on OS X Yosemite, it fails with the message "Failed Initializing Python". This is because Yosemite drops support for Python 2.3, which is needed by Civ4 and it's expansions. The solution is to reinstall Python 2.3 on Yosemite. Unfortunately I couldn't find an OS X version of 2.3 on Python.org, so instead I copied the relevant folders across from Mavericks. - This is not the problem I am having. My error message is about needing at least 1 MB of free space. Also I am running OS Mavericks, so Python should not be an issue.

Any chance uninstalling Civ IV, then reinstalling it would solve the problem? Also, I have the only the original DVD. Have there been any bug fixes or updates issued by Aspyr? If yes, how do I download & install them to my computer. I am 66 years old and not real tech savvy, so please excuse me if my questions seem a little too basic.

If you have installed the original DVD copy, you should then install the updater for BtS v 3.19. I found that the links to that installer around here don't work any more, and asked Aspyr Support to help. They gave me the following link, which still appears to work as of last week when I installed Civ4 on my Yosemite MBP.

http://files.aspyr.com/support/Civ4_BTS_3.19.dmg

When you have downloaded it, it should open as a disk image. Run the installer that is included in the image. It will probably say "No software could be found to update. Press Other to locate your software". Click the Other button and navigate to your installed copy of Civilization IV in Applications/Civilization IV/. Highlight the Civ4 application, and click Open.

The updater gives you the most recent versions of Civ4, Warlords and BtS. I don't know whether this will fix your memory errors.

You say that you have the original DVD. Do you have only the basic CIV game or do you also have the expansions Warlords and/or BTS? I hope that AlanH's suggestion above works for you.

In any case check the version number(s) of CIV. Basic CIV game should be 1.74. Warlords should be 2.08. BTS should be 3.19. If the version numbers are not these, you will need to update. That might solve the problem. If the updater that AlanH links to works for you it should bring whatever you have up to date. If not you can try one of the mirror links in the "Patch & Update" section under the Civ4 drop down menu at the top of this page.

(Sorry about the reference to the wrong thread in my last post. I have lost track of which name goes with which OSX number!)

The latest Warlords is actually 2.13. If you have Civ4 Complete on DVD then you will have installed older versions of all three variants. Use my download link to update them all. The Mac patch link in the Civ4 Patch and Update section of these forums is broken.

Oops, I look at an old note when I said Warlords 2.08. It is, as AlanH says, 2.13.

Alan,

Will the BTS patch fix his CIV if he only has the original CIV or will it not work if BTS is not there? (Honest question, not comment)

As far as I know, the BTS patch is for a complete installation. I don't know whether it will update vanilla or Warlords if BtS is not also installed.

There is a patch for vanilla only - as before, the links on this site are broken. Try:

http://files.aspyr.com/support/Civ4_1.74.dmg

pittsborojim,

If you need only the vanilla patch, can't find a functioning download site for Civ4 1.74, and you are willing to trust me, send me a message and your email address in the forums' Personal Mail and I will email the patch to you. I saved all of the old patches that I downloaded, in case I needed to use them after a reinstall. Don't post your email address in the thread, just use PM. Similarly, I also have the BTS 3.19 patch.

As stated above, there are official Aspyr links to both patches.

Alan,

When you said "Try" before the address, I thought you meant that it might work. Apparently, you meant it does work. I wasn't doubting, just trying to help.

BTW, I frequently find myself posting a quote of your message about how to get BUG 4.4 to work on a Mac in General Discussion, Technical Support, and the BUG subforum. There seem to be a lot of Mac users who ask there instead of looking in the Mac forum. It is simpler to just post the quote than to tell them to go look for it here. I usually also advise them to visit here for further Mac info. Thank you again for all that you do!

Thanks, no problem. I'm never 100% confident that an external link I post will remain valid over time, so I hedge my bets by adding "Try".

I did check that these links still work now, but who knows when in the future someone will find that Aspyr has taken them down - they clearly broke the links before!

Thanks to all who have given me advice on this problem, especially AlanH & s,bernbaum. All the while this was being discussed, had an open ticket with Aspyr. Was not sure what to expect from them or how long it might take. Was VERY pleasantly surprised on both accounts. before hearing back from Aspyr, I installed the updater for BtS v 3.19 with the link provided by AlanH. I did not solve the problem. In case it might prove to be helpful to others with a similar problem I am copying & pasting my communications with Aspyr: _________________________________________________________________________________
Jim Stevens Saturday at 16:24
Hi. I got Civ IV for Mac for Christmas. I easily installed it on my Macbook Pro running OS 10.9.5 (2.53 GHz intel core i5 processor/ 8 GB 1067 MHz DD3 memory) I have 364 out of 500 GB free space on my HD. I got well into a game, then saved it and quit. Now when I try to re-launch Civ IV, I get an error box telling me I need at least 1 MB of free space and that I should free up more space and re-launch. I obviously do not have a free space issue. Can you suggest what problem I have and how I might fix it. Thanks. I have tried rebooting the computer. NOTE: In the OS field below I put in 10.10 because choices skip from 10.6 to 10.10.

Avatar Aspyr Lucy Monday at 12:47
Please send in a photo of the game disk at your earliest convenience.
Aspyr Support

Avatar Jim Stevens Monday at 13:33
Update to my problem - I tried re-installing. I no longer get the error message about not enough free space, but I still can’t launch the game. Python & the engine initialize, and the pre-game animation runs (with an odd blue tinge) to the point where I chose which game option I want. I click on “single player” and am taken to the civilopedia page. I can’t navigate away from this page. The “exit” & “back” buttons do not work.

Attached is a scan of the DVD:

CIV IV DVD.jpeg (50 KB)
Avatar Aspyr Lucy Yesterday at 16:08
Please download and install the Steam app from steampowered.com. Install it to Applications and launch it from there. Once it completes auto updating, log into your Steam account or create a new account.

When the Steam Library menu is displayed, select Add a Game/Activate a Product on Steam and enter the product code below:

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx [actual product code hidden for obvious reasons]
This will activate and install the game.
Aspyr Support

Avatar Jim Stevens Today at 09:19
Worked like a charm. Am happily playing Civ IV. Thank you, Lucy & Aspyr!

Top Bottom