NotW LIV - The Masque of Death

Spoiler :
The scum having to win by the end of N7 is an unusual mechanic, and in a game where their kills can be prevented - apparently in several different ways - there must be some pretty significant compensation. It could very well be that there are still two scum alive. Four scum from the start sounds high, though. So, there's the possibility that BL raised: that a player or players might be converted to the scum team by a mask or masks. Thus, Visor's D2 acquisition of KingMorgan's Sable Mask is something that needs another look.

This what led up to it:

And these followed:
At the time I felt this all seemed a bit off, but now we know that Newyn was scum, and with Legato being high on the suspect list as well, it's by no means impossible that what we're looking at is Visor being deliberately recruited by means of the Sable mask. As I discuss below, Visor's reaction to the mask doesn't really fit with what he later claimed for it. However, one part of his reaction makes total sense if acquiring the mask converted him to the scum team (or, for that matter, if they were already scumbuddies): immediately distancing himself from Newyn.

Later on in the game, we have a bit more from Visor on the subject of the Sable mask:He says this, but he doesn't mention either Newyn or Legato by name. In fact, his named suspects that day are me (though only in response to Autolycus voting me), Takhisis (who he votes for initially, and is 'pretty sure about') and Autolycus (who he switches his vote to after BL makes a case, and just before Newyn claimed a scan clearing BL). So, to be crystal clear, he says the scum were happy to vote the mask to him, whilst completely ignoring the people who voted the mask to him as possible suspects.
This is yesterday. Three days after receiving a mask the powers of which were already known to scum, Visor finally chooses to tell us what it does. But only after BL's revelation of the roleblock, which makes Newyn the default lynch, unless some other explanation for the missed kill can be found. At any point prior to this, Visor could have revealed what the Sable mask was for, thus giving the town information that the scum already knew. But, instead, he held off until Newyn's defence needed alternate mechanics that might have caused a no-kill.

Alongside the anti-town delay in claiming a power for the Sable mask, we also should look at the nature of that claim in relation to his earlier allusions. The claimed power isn't useless - indeed, it seems to make it a bad idea for the scum to target Visor, in case he was hiding behind one of their own number. As far as I can see, the main problem it might pose to the town is that of confusion. But that problem could quite easily have been dealt with in the very first place, simply by telling the town what the scum already knew about the mask. But looking at how Visor talked about the mask previously, he was very clearly implying that the mask was either useless or actively unhelpful.

There is no townie explanation here. The first charge is withholding information from town that the scum already know. The second charge is waiting to reveal that information until a time when it might help a scumbag dodge the lynch. The third charge is strongly implying things about the information which does not fit with the eventual reveal.

Whether the mask converted him, or he was evil from the start, from where I'm sitting the evidence points quite clearly to Visorslash being scum.
Far from sure if I'm going with this but it does have some meat to it.

snerk not roleblocking is very strange imo
Me and BL have already overlapped a block before, I didn't want to risk that for my last use. Now it was a tricky choice as I could have been killed during night, but the way I saw it there where far better targets for the mafia than me.

Remaining roles: Archmage - Chamberlain Inquisitor - General - Noble - Servant - Merchant (me)

The scum having to win by the end of N7 is an unusual mechanic, and in a game where their kills can be prevented - apparently in several different ways - there must be some pretty significant compensation.

Agreed.

It could very well be that there are still two scum alive. Four scum from the start sounds high, though. So, there's the possibility that BL raised: that a player or players might be converted to the scum team by a mask or masks.

Possible, but a bit bastard.

Thus, Visor's D2 acquisition of KingMorgan's Sable Mask is something that needs another look.

This what led up to it:

And these followed:
At the time I felt this all seemed a bit off, but now we know that Newyn was scum, and with Legato being high on the suspect list as well, it's by no means impossible that what we're looking at is Visor being deliberately recruited by means of the Sable mask. As I discuss below, Visor's reaction to the mask doesn't really fit with what he later claimed for it. However, one part of his reaction makes total sense if acquiring the mask converted him to the scum team (or, for that matter, if they were already scumbuddies): immediately distancing himself from Newyn.

I traded votes with newyn for a mask that i thought would give me the ability to kill someone. I know after getting it that it is not the case, and is why I suspect Newyn. That kind of turnaround doesn't seem particularly scumlike in hindsight does it?

Later on in the game, we have a bit more from Visor on the subject of the Sable mask:He says this, but he doesn't mention either Newyn or Legato by name. In fact, his named suspects that day are me (though only in response to Autolycus voting me), Takhisis (who he votes for initially, and is 'pretty sure about') and Autolycus (who he switches his vote to after BL makes a case, and just before Newyn claimed a scan clearing BL). So, to be crystal clear, he says the scum were happy to vote the mask to him, whilst completely ignoring the people who voted the mask to him as possible suspects.

Look, you know how I play by now. I forget where I'm at as town, my suspicions can change pretty rapidly. I thought scum voted me the mask because they knew it was worthless - which was probably true based on d2.

This is yesterday. Three days after receiving a mask the powers of which were already known to scum, Visor finally chooses to tell us what it does. But only after BL's revelation of the roleblock, which makes Newyn the default lynch, unless some other explanation for the missed kill can be found. At any point prior to this, Visor could have revealed what the Sable mask was for, thus giving the town information that the scum already knew. But, instead, he held off until Newyn's defence needed alternate mechanics that might have caused a no-kill.

Because the mask does nothing. I was lying. The mask presumably had an ability, but KM used it to kill Riedquat. The mask does nothing and can only do something if broken.

Scum cannot know that because only I had the mask with a multiple so they cannot know what that mask does when broken (or maybe all masks do that when broken, not sure).

Why on earth would I defend Newyn and vote BL as scum. I'm a careful mafia player, I don't do stupid things like that.

Alongside the anti-town delay in claiming a power for the Sable mask, we also should look at the nature of that claim in relation to his earlier allusions. The claimed power isn't useless - indeed, it seems to make it a bad idea for the scum to target Visor, in case he was hiding behind one of their own number. As far as I can see, the main problem it might pose to the town is that of confusion. But that problem could quite easily have been dealt with in the very first place, simply by telling the town what the scum already knew about the mask. But looking at how Visor talked about the mask previously, he was very clearly implying that the mask was either useless or actively unhelpful.

As above.

There is no townie explanation here. The first charge is withholding information from town that the scum already know. The second charge is waiting to reveal that information until a time when it might help a scumbag dodge the lynch. The third charge is strongly implying things about the information which does not fit with the eventual reveal.

Backwards didn't reveal his complete info, are you going to call him scum?

Whether the mask converted him, or he was evil from the start, from where I'm sitting the evidence points quite clearly to Visorslash being scum.

If there is conversion in this game I am unaware of it. I doubt it personally.

Both of you can roleblock tonight if you really want

i'll either be framed in which case good because mafia still likely loses

or someone else will die/be attacked

TLDR: Sable mask has no abilities. It only has a one use hide ability when broken. I didn't bother mentioning this because I thought it useless.

I will also not be claiming this game as to complete my personal goal.

None of my actions make sense as scum.

Read my interactions with Newyn, they should be clearing.

The last day is absolutely clearing for me.

Why would I bother will all the things, voting backwards etc all that as scum?

If I'm scum I say, I knew it and vote Newyn and thats it for the day, maybe a bit of here/there discussion.

Why on earth would I try to save a roleblocked partner?

Having a character in each estate is a bit... revealing.
It is. But I don't see the point of giving me a limited estate scan if virtually nothing can be read of the results, a scum in each of the estates would then make sense. It also fits with the last scum being a 1st estate dark cultist. So from my point of view I think I have to go with Winston Hughes, I think.

Now I guess this is on the assumption that there hasn't been any scum conversion by mask. Which I don't know.

Shadow Mask for Auto
Coral Mask for me
Ancient Mask for nobody

Takhisis - Noble (Lynched, Day 4)

Mid-morning Tallies

Coral Mask
Snerk
: Autolycus, Snerk
Backwards Logic: Backwards Logic
Visorslash: Visorslash

Shadow Mask
Backwards Logic
: Backwards Logic, Autolycus
Autolycus: Snerk

Ancient Mask
Visorslash
: Visorslash

Not Declared: Legato Endless, Winston Hughes

Vote Tally

Snerk
: Backwards Logic, Legato Endless
Visorslash: Autolycus, Winton Hughes
Legato Endless: Visorslash
Winston Hughes: Snerk

Less than an hour to go before the masks are handed out.

Coral Mask to Backwards Logic.

Shadow Mask to Backwards Logic.

I note that Autolycus and Snerk both voted the Coral mask to Choxorn previously, and that he was killed the following night by Newyn, stealing the mask in the process. Now the pair of them are voting it to Snerk. That was spaceman's mask originally. He claimed a healing ability. If BL survived an attack, there's a scumbag who needs an injury healed tonight.

unvote

I need to read some more.

Midday Tallies

Coral Mask
Snerk
: Autolycus, Snerk
Backwards Logic: Backwards Logic, Winston Hughes

Shadow Mask
Backwards Logic
: Backwards Logic, Autolycus, Winston Hughes
Autolycus: Snerk

Ancient Mask
Visorslash
: Visorslash

Not Declared: Legato Endless

Vote Tally

Snerk
: Backwards Logic, Legato Endless
Visorslash: Autolycus
Legato Endless: Visorslash
Winston Hughes: Snerk
Abstain: Winston Hughes

The remaining guests were fairly decisive for the first time in a while. All but one of the guests spurned the Awnshegh's mask and the guests decided that Backwards Logic deserved the majority of the remaining masks.

Visorslash gained the Ancient Mask and Backwards Logic gained both the Shadow Mask and the Coral Mask.

Day Six ends: [TIMER=5/25/2015 10:00 PM GMT+1; Night Five over][/TIMER]

Random discovery of the day: Chrome is displaying the timer as expiring one hour after Firefox & IE do. The correct time is 10 pm BST.

Random discovery of the day: Chrome is displaying the timer as expiring one hour after Firefox & IE do. The correct time is 10 pm BST.

Correct. Chrome processes the timer code differently :sad:

The question I'm stuck on: just how good is Legato when it comes to faking townie thought processes?

Rereading Snerk and Visor hasn't moved either in a townie direction from my perspective.

I need to reread Autolycus, but BL's testimony suggests he can only be scum if they have two players left.

If BL is scum, I'm just going to take my hat off right now. :hatsoff:

How am I trying to look as scummy as possible?

You had a problem with me not revealing the non existent effects of the sable mask, so i revealed what i knew about the ancient immediately

Coral Mask heals if you break it. Scum would know this and since they're injured would make the attempt to get it. Shadow mask allows wearer to see who targets you if you do nothing.

Visorslash not listening to my warnings when the game is almost won has not made me a supporter of him. If we lynch Visorslash now, the game won't be won today. So as much as I want to put him down just to cover the conversion possibility, I don't think that's the best course of action.

Snerk also voting the mask to himself is suspect on top of everything else he's done.

Here's my thought: Stick with my outlined plan from earlier but instead lynch Winston. Why him instead of Legato? He claims he's immune to all night actions except for nightkills which is also Godfather-esque. If no one can block him, this poses a problem for my plan from earlier - there's no way to effectively clear him. Plus having been attacked by magic, him as a first-estater points to him having a magic score equal to my own, hence my injuries.

If he is not the scum, here's a few scenarios:

Snerk w/ converted Visorslash course of action:

Snerk is supposed to rb Legato. He won't and will instead rb me. Visor would then do the kill on me, as I would have been RB'ing him. Assuming Autolycus uses his mask to protect me, he'll die instead. I'll know I was rb'd which implicates Snerk. My votes + Legato's is enough to beat Visor/Snerk, and it's GG.

Legato + Visorslash as scum:

Snerk roleblocks Legato. I roleblock Visor. No kills and we can then lynch Legato the next day, with me roleblocking Visor for the last night if the game has not ended.

Autolycus/Visor: This is impossible as I am assuming only one scum left as of now (Auto was blocked last night if you recall). If there's three now (assuming a Visor conversion happens) it doesn't matter what we do. It's GG.

I honestly don't know how thematically conversion is supposed to work with masks, which is why I doubt it is in here.

I'd almost suggest a lynch of myself just because I want to die townie and get the win and not mafia.

But I have a bit of faith in Arakhor.

I honestly don't know how thematically conversion is supposed to work with masks, which is why I doubt it is in here.

I'd almost suggest a lynch of myself just because I want to die townie and get the win and not mafia.

But I have a bit of faith in Arakhor.

There's magic in this game. Anything is possible. And if you wanted to not be mafia, you probably shouldn't have taken the risk the mask represents. As I outlined earlier, lynching you does absolutely nothing at this stage.

Top Bottom