NotW LIV - The Masque of Death

I love that Snerk was wearing a false beard to disguise his evil.

It's like we spent the whole game going "Well, all the evidence points to him, but that's not the beard of a villain."

Snerk simply not dying at the end was totally in keeping with the rest of the game, so he got out alive. I have updated him to a Minor Defeat. I even PMed Snerk twice asking for his dying curse and each time he wanted to curse Backwards, but like Backwards' death, his death was not to be. :lol:

By special request:

Winston Hughes was the Archmage. He has been wearing the Ivory Mask.

Spoiler loyalty :
He was a Loyalist!

Fun fact: Winston's power that made him totally untargetable at night (except to be killed) was called Ivory Tower, which is why he drops a little ivory rook (the castle-shaped piece) when he dies. (Yes, I make in-jokes, even when maybe one other person might get them.)

Fun fact: The Archmage was the first role I designed, one specifically designed to have a "scummy" power, firstly to be a bit different and secondly so that not all of the Loyalists' powers were strictly advantageous. The Chamberlain's power to scramble day-scans and also to return one day after a successful night-kill was similarly designed.

As I said before, this game was loosely based on the AD&D 2nd Edition Birthright campaign setting. The roles were each inspired by many of the leading characters of the setting:

The Politician: Darien Avan, Prince of Avanil
The General: Aeric Boeruine, Archduke of Boeruine
The Chamberlain: Caliedhe Dosiere, Chamberlain of Anuire
The Hierophant: Rhobher Nichaleir, Archprelate of the Western Imperial Temple
The Archmage: High Mage Aelies
The Priestess: Maire Cwllmie, High Priestess of the Eastern Temple of Nesirie
The Spy: Guilder Kalien, Count of Endier
The Courtier: Eriene Mierelen, Duchess of Brosengae
The Awnshegh: Mostly the Gorgon, but his artwork was of the Raven (both of whom are terrifyingly powerful villains)

The others, I'm afraid, were more generic mediaeval roles, but I think I made the right decision by filing off the serial numbers and having all the roles as setting-neutral as possible.

I love that Snerk was wearing a false beard to disguise his evil.

It's like we spent the whole game going "Well, all the evidence points to him, but that's not the beard of a villain."
Trust the beard! :old:

Me and Newyn dropped the ball when we attacked BL with magic instead of combat. We knew he was 1st estate so combat would be the obvious choice. Other than that slip, I'm fairly happy with our play.

Well played everyone, and well hosted Arakhor. Certainly fun to watch from the sidelines,, though I still don't understand why you lynched me :p Most of my commentary is already in the dead QT

Good game guys, we almost pulled that off after all the things that went against us from start to finish :p

Trust the beard! :old:

Me and Newyn dropped the ball when we attacked BL with magic instead of combat. We knew he was 1st estate so combat would be the obvious choice. Other than that slip, I'm fairly happy with our play.

3 power would still have killed him though. The problem came from the fact that we weren't told about the support system been used until after the fact so there wasn't even an attempted night kill that night even though both of us attacked.

BL, while I did catch the fact you had some sort of scum finding power, I just wasn't expecting it to be a town blocker considering the other mechanics in this game which was why we didn't even discuss blocking you that night in our QT. That little bit of carelessness probably cost us the game.

Balance and rulings wise, I already said everything I have to say in the dead QT so I won't repeat it here. The fact that KM's poison was actually a potential extra kill (I had thought it just weakened people and never asked since he died day 1) makes the game slightly more balanced than I thought but I still think that a blocker has no place in this particular game.

Given that you both attacked with Magic, Snerk would have been counter-killed by Backwards Logic if attacking alone, so the support system actually saved his life.

KM was supposed to get a bonus day-kill (up to a given maximum) every time someone role-claimed, there was a mislynch or one of the other Traitors died and only the Priestess was immune to this, but of course he never got to use any of that, which is why he was simply a Vengeful lynch.

It was Snerk's dying curse which would have weakened someone who voted for him, but he never got to use that either. :)

Given that you both attacked with Magic, Snerk would have been counter-killed by Backwards Logic if attacking alone, so the support system actually saved his life.

It didn't. Failed attacks just wound according to the rules. A Dark Cultist failed attack wouldn't have cleared me but BL doesn't have the ammunition to lynch me either.

BL, while I did catch the fact you had some sort of scum finding power, I just wasn't expecting it to be a town blocker considering the other mechanics in this game which was why we didn't even discuss blocking you that night in our QT. That little bit of carelessness probably cost us the game.

And that's what threw me off of Snerk more than anything. I had expected his results to factor into your kill choices and methods, and the fact they didn't seem to suggested he wasn't communicating with the killers. Snerk's role fit a scum one, his actions weren't all that great and his contributions didn't scream townie to me, yet that one tidbit was enough to throw me off the trail. Plus me not being roleblocked - Given you had an idea what I could do, it seemed like the right move for Snerk to block me.

You played well though, especially considering the day one you guys had. Seriously, is that not the worst day 1 for scum ever?

Ciertako also saw a scum (the head scum!) lynched day 1. Surprisingly, I've seen quite a few scum vs. scum wagons on day 1...

Ciertako also saw a scum (the head scum!) lynched day 1. Surprisingly, I've seen quite a few scum vs. scum wagons on day 1...

About two years ago, Darths and Droids had Visorslash (the "leader" of the mafia) lose an RNG tiebreaker on Day 1.

Arakhor: Was the outcome of my final attack randomly generated, or would a block trump an attack no matter what?

Arakhor: Was the outcome of my final attack randomly generated, or would a block trump an attack no matter what?

I was using the conventional idea that a roleblock stops the target from using any active or triggered power (but not passive powers). Perhaps injured characters should have been role-blocked themselves until the injury healed (either over time or using a different item or power).

Top Bottom