NotW LIV - The Masque of Death

Me using the gilded mask as self-preservation would be a horrible idea as mask uses are revealed by GM in write-ups.

But it also leaves the possibility that Auto said he was blocked, setting up his scumbuddy Snerk to claim it, only to be pleasantly surprised when BL did instead.

Round and around we go. :crazyeye:

I don't think we can lock this down 100%, but I'm looking at the wider case for Autolycus/Snerk, at it's pretty weak in comparison to Legato/Snerk.

His D2 vote on Newyn looks good, as he could quite plausibly have gone Takhisis or spaceman instead.

Snerk's D3 vote for him also looks good, as it made him the counter wagon to Coyosis, needing only BL to move his vote to put Auto's head in the noose.

Snerk stepping in to save Auto by voting Takhisis late on D4 doesn't look so good. That Newyn was first to vote Auto that day makes it look a little less bad, however, and the way he linked Auto and Snerk makes me think maybe Auto was being set up as the fall guy if Snerk showed up scum. We also have more game-solving analysis from Auto that day than we've seen at any point from either Snerk or Legato.

I don't like the support vote idea. Given the stakes, and the potential for manipulation, I think we need all town votes on one target.

Legato's continued evidence is troubling though. It's like he's been silenced - or, quite plausibly, is pretending to have been silenced. On this point, I can say that, afaik, silencing abilities - and others which force posting restrictions - are fairly common over at GitP, whereas they're extremely rare over here.

A little under five hours to go, folks.

Looking back at Legato's ability claim, he's pretty clear that he'll die if attacked, not just carry on appearing to be alive whilst being unable to post. I'd say it would be very harsh on him indeed if his role description was that misleading.

You blocked Autolycus the night you were attacked, right? If so, that means he can't have been injured, and so was free to make a kill last night. Since it also means he can only be scum if there are two left, that clears him.

Correct and true. Auto was free to do whatever last night.

Now I look at it, though, there is a slight inconsistency here. When announcing your block on Newyn, you said you lose your block the night after blocking a magic user, and also pointed out that Awnshegh had used black lightening to kill his victims. Having blocked Newyn, then, it would seem you ought to have lost your block the following night.

Correct, this was my initial claim. However I reveal the true nature with this post (#426):

Snerk then roleblocks Winston Hughes. This ties up Snerk and prevents Winston from killing. Why don't you roleblock him? Because he's first estate, if I block a fellow first-estater I will lose the block for night 7. You'll remember in my initial claim of roleblocker I claim I lose the block if I block a spellcaster. That was a bit of a misdirection on my part - the above is the truth.

I block a first estater, I lose the block the following night.

Nah, it's Snerk, Legato, or Snerk/Legato.

And that makes this the essential question for us: did Snerk tell the truth about what the Gilded mask does when broken? If so, lynching Legato should secure us the win, regardless of which of the three possibilities is true. If not, all bets are off.

I say we lynch Legato.

Firstly, Snerk is obviously scum.

Wait, what?

Actually, the Gilded Mask break plus him showing up as a spellcaster makes me wonder if my scan might have failed to penetrate a cover role.

If there's only one scum left, we've probably won no matter what.

If there's two scum left, then the question is why they didn't kill last night. A mis-lynch loses for us in this case, while no lynch puts everything on preventing a kill tonight.

What happens if we switch to putting out a network of support votes? If I switch to support: Winston, BL supports Snerk, and Winston accuses Snerk, we're at zero (or less) all the way around (assuming the gilded mask doesn't cancel support votes), and BL can shift his vote to counter any late-day votes, even if Snerk used the mask to pre-cancel BL's vote on him. If everyone stays put, the only way this results in a lynch is if Snerk used the gilded mask on BL, and the gilded mask also prevents support votes, and in that case Snerk lied, so I'm fine with him dying.

Thoughts? I'll be back on a little before the deadline.

I'm somehow not against this. Gotta think on it, but Winston would need to play ball.

EDIT as I was writing this: Okay, thought on it. Read below.

Me using the gilded mask as self-preservation would be a horrible idea as mask uses are revealed by GM in write-ups.

...which is exactly why you'd use it. C'mon now - you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. As scum, you lose nothing activating it because it'd still require us to lynch you, with an extra vote no less.

I don't think we can lock this down 100%, but I'm looking at the wider case for Autolycus/Snerk, at it's pretty weak in comparison to Legato/Snerk.

His D2 vote on Newyn looks good, as he could quite plausibly have gone Takhisis or spaceman instead.

Snerk's D3 vote for him also looks good, as it made him the counter wagon to Coyosis, needing only BL to move his vote to put Auto's head in the noose.

You outlined it earlier: He was free to do an attack, plus everyone knew who I was targeting.

I don't like the support vote idea. Given the stakes, and the potential for manipulation, I think we need all town votes on one target.

Bolding mine. Why would you be scared of manipulation? If everyone's more or less at zero, sure someone would have to stick their neck out to force a lynch. However, what's more troubling for me is your insistence of piling up on Legato.

The bolding is mine to highlight some wordage I don't like. Who's we? The scum? The town? Why the town designation later? Why not: we just need all of the votes on one target? This screams slip-up to me.

Legato's continued evidence is troubling though. It's like he's been silenced - or, quite plausibly, is pretending to have been silenced. On this point, I can say that, afaik, silencing abilities - and others which force posting restrictions - are fairly common over at GitP, whereas they're extremely rare over here.

I just think he's not here. You're hinting at yet another ability someone would have, then have to target Legato with it. A) It's a scum ability, and B) I'd be targeted instead. Let's extrapolate this further: if this ability exists, who has it? Why are you confusing the matter?

Looking back at Legato's ability claim, he's pretty clear that he'll die if attacked, not just carry on appearing to be alive whilst being unable to post. I'd say it would be very harsh on him indeed if his role description was that misleading.

Again, I think he's just not here. Yet you want to lynch the guy who isn't here over Snerk, who you spent a large portion of time making a case on. All because he what, broke a mask and that somehow scares you? You want a runaway lynch on anyone but you, is that it? With Snerk's busted mask, that kind of knocks out two votes on him and puts you that much closer, is that it? I see the argument against Snerk on why that's bad for him, but I don't agree with the solution of a runaway vote on another. That is a self-preservation move if I ever saw one.

You also totally convinced there's two scum left when I see no reason for there to be. With what you're suggesting, there should have been a kill last night. Furthermore, you're asking me to lynch Legato who I blocked last night. He could not have stolen the mask and therefore cannot have it. The only way for him to now have the mask is if you think items can be transferred between players and there's no mention of that possibility anywhere in the rules.

I like my original plan better: Lynch Winston, roleblock Snerk. I'm just not seeing two scum players left. If Snerk stole the mask, he gets roleblocked tonight. If Winston stole the mask, well, he's dead so it won't matter. The inverse is not possible from Winston's claim. Everyone is accounted for and Winston's good enough to pull the 'lynch anyone but me play.' I'm convinced: this is the right move. Otherwise, there is no way to stop a solo Winston traitor.

Lynch Tally

Winston Hughes
: Backwards Logic, Autolycus, Snerk
Legato Endless: Winston Hughes
Absent: Legato Endless

Two and a half hours to go.

Wait, what?

What else am I supposed to make of his claim about the Gilded mask? I know my ability couldn't have broken it, and by far the simplest explanation is that he broke it to nullify a vote on himself today.

Bolding mine. Why would you be scared of manipulation? If everyone's more or less at zero, sure someone would have to stick their neck out to force a lynch. However, what's more troubling for me is your insistence of piling up on Legato.

I'm not going to assume I know every power the scum have at their disposal here. And nor should you, given how certain you are that there's only one scum left. If there's only one, then he can't win without some unknown power giving him an extra kill tonight. Even with a mislynch now followed by a successful kill, the solo scum would still be outnumbered at the end of the night. What I'm trying to do, and what I've been trying to do all day, is figure out the best lynch option for us, given our uncertainty about what the scum actually have to work with.

The bolding is mine to highlight some wordage I don't like. Who's we? The scum? The town? Why the town designation later? Why not: we just need all of the votes on one target? This screams slip-up to me.

Well, I'm kind of assuming there that the scum will aiming for a mislynch today, so it would be wise to try and outvote them. Given the potential for a change of vote right before the deadline, and not knowing exactly what lynch manipulation might be in play, it seems entirely prudent to say we need all town votes on whoever it is we mean to see lynched.

Again, from my perspective, the scum could be Snerk, Legato, or Snerk/Legato. As I see it, the likelihood of Snerk having nullified your vote on him today means the safest option there is to lynch Legato.

I just think he's not here. You're hinting at yet another ability someone would have, then have to target Legato with it. A) It's a scum ability, and B) I'd be targeted instead. Let's extrapolate this further: if this ability exists, who has it? Why are you confusing the matter?

Again, I'm not assuming any knowledge of what the scum have up their sleeves. I'm looking for the safest option given our lack of that knowledge. Could you tell me why you think it so unlikely that they have got such a power, and also how you think a solo scum can win here? I'm not feeling great about either of the assumptions you seem to be making there.

Furthermore, you're asking me to lynch Legato who I blocked last night. He could not have stolen the mask and therefore cannot have it. The only way for him to now have the mask is if you think items can be transferred between players and there's no mention of that possibility anywhere in the rules.

What if it was stolen in the afternoon? Visor said he wouldn't be told what it did until nightfall, so it doesn't seem crazy that the scum could have some way of retrieving it before then.

Look, we're closing in on the deadline, and I'm not going to be able to stay online right through to the lynch, though I should be able to stick my head in and drop a vote at some point in the last half hour or so.

Tell me who to vote for, BL. I've said my piece (and then some), but if you still think your way is safer, so be it.

I'm not going to quote every part, but I'll highlight a few points and hit on them with my thoughts: RE Snerk: the mask break is bad. We're agreed there. The difference is I can do something about it tonight, whereas this is my last opportunity to do anything with you.

Again, I'm not assuming any knowledge of what the scum have up their sleeves. I'm looking for the safest option given our lack of that knowledge. (1) Could you tell me why you think it so unlikely that they have got such a power, and (2) also how you think a solo scum can win here? I'm not feeling great about either of the assumptions you seem to be making there.

1) We would have seen it already in play, likely against me. Plus, who are the remaining people who could have that ability? Auto - he's got the third estate scan ability. Snerk - limited roleblock. Legato - Sure, but he silenced himself? You...?
2) I don't think a solo scum can win here, not with my plan anyway, but here's my thought to why the game hasn't ended:

Just because the GM knows the game can't be won by the scum doesn't mean the players also do. So while the scum is mathematically eliminated, the game continues until one of the VC's is reached. Neither VC has been hit yet - there's a scum left (loyalist vc) and they haven't taken control of the ball (traitor VC) so the game continues. The day number here is irrelevant.

What if it was stolen in the afternoon? Visor said he wouldn't be told what it did until nightfall, so it doesn't seem crazy that the scum could have some way of retrieving it before then.

True, I hadn't considered a day action. I suspect though we would have seen this in play much sooner than now. Considering how many masks have been up for grabs, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have stolen something before now. On top of it, Legato has a tested day ability - his scan blocking powers are a passive daytime ability. So unless he can shield his thoughts, steal masks, and come back from the dead, I'm finding the likelihood of him being the thief very low.

Not silenced, just having some issues with my accursed phone for this forum.

In any case, Vote: Winston

It's a good display, but even ignoring Logic's plan, you're not investigating, you're treading water.

Backwards Logic for town MVP.

Fifteen minutes to go.

Top Bottom