Objectives in Alexander scenario

Verrucosus

Warlord
I have a question about the Alexander the Great scenario from Conflicts in Civilization. I'm playing the version that was included in the Civilization Chronicles Collection. According to the F9 screen the Macedonian protagonists need 28 for a decisive victory, 21 for marginal victory, 16 for marginal defeat and 10 for decisive defeat. However, the screen also says that there are only 9 objectives in total. The last bit seems correct: When I click around the map, only nine cities are marked as objectives (Thebes, Miletos, Ephesus, Sardis, Ancyra, Gaza, Ecbatana, Susa and Bactra). A decisive defeat for the Macedonians and a decisive victory for everyone else seems inevitable. Am I missing something?

Wonders don't count in this scenario. I hadn't thought of them (so: Thanks!), but checking shows that the existing wonders (like the Hanging Gardens in Persian Babylon) don't award objective points.

Wonders don't count in this scenario. I hadn't thought of them (so: Thanks!), but checking shows that the existing wonders (like the Hanging Gardens in Persian Babylon) don't award objective points
Thanks.
Maybe is it related to the old '3Pts Objectives' bug ? Are some major cities without objectives ?
Otherwise, that may comes from the scenario design :( .

That sounds like that might bit it! The Persian and Macedonian capitals (Persepolis and Pella) are not marked at objectives, neither are Babylon or any of the Egyptian cities. If several of these awarded 3 points, the victory conditions would start to make sense.

It sounds like the "3Pts Objectives" bug was well known, but back in my Civ2 days I only had the classic version that came with just two scenarios. Can you point me to a thread where the bug is described?

It sounds like the "3Pts Objectives" bug was well known, but back in my Civ2 days I only had the classic version that came with just two scenarios. Can you point me to a thread where the bug is described?
When designing a scenario, the Fantastic Worlds expansion let you define cities that are worth 3 objective points instead of one. However, Multiplayer Gold Edition and Test of Time are bugged so that they don't count. The Test of Time Patch Project has a fix for that, but I don't know if the MGE User Interface Additions has a fix. I don't think there is anything more to the bug.

You must be using Test of Time or MGE. The 3 point objectives in these versions don't work. This is a know bug!
from 2001 ;)

To notice,

the ToTpp patch does correct this bug for ToT
maybe is the civ2UIA one correcting it too for MGE ?

Thank you, both! The Alexander scenario was first published with "Conflicts in Civilization" (predating "Fantastic Worlds"), so it should not even have that feature. I did manage to load it in the classic Civ2 v2.42 version, and the problem was the same. Maybe someone "updated" the scenario file itself when they created the MGE edition.

Anyway, now that I know that it's a bug, I can enjoy the scenario by making my Persians *earn* their decisive victory ... or marginal victory if I manage to get Darius killed ;) . Thanks again!

FW scenarios, although playable with MGE, aren't 100% compatible. MGE (and ToT) doesn't read major (x3) city objectives. There are also issues with the AI's aggressive diplomacy model (supposed allies breaking alliances). This is why it irks me when people lump FW scenarios in the MGE category on download pages. Apart from that, I have FW but not MGE. A rough fix for the scoring problem is to change all the major objective cities to minor ones and adjust the victory thresholds by the ratio of the new objectives total to the old. That's what I do when I convert FW scenarios to ToT.
Yes, Angelo Scotto's CivConverter can convert FW/MGE scenarios to ToT. It can be found here. Be aware that occasionally you will run into problems. For example, major city objectives (ie, x3) from FW will not be read by ToT, so some Objective Victory thresholds may be unachievable.
I could have used that in my old Nippon scenario... I'll be making an MGE compatible version (people say FW games are compatible with MGE, but it isn't. You can't have major objective cities) and generally more challenging version sooner or later, can I use it then? :D
The largest differences between MGE (Gold) and FW are that MGE accepts much longer events files, and that FW accepts major objective cities.
The last thing ruined the Nippon scenario I made for all who play MGE, because all major objectives were counted as 0 objectives, rendering the victory system unusable.
While the major city objective does appear on the menu, the feature does not work when you go to play the game in MGE. If you control a major objective city you're supposed to get 3 points, but you get zero points. That's what people mean when saying the feature does not work. BTW, the same bug is in Test of Time.

Yes, TOTTP has the fix:
Major objective: Restores the x3 major objective for cities as in Fantastic Worlds.

For CIV2UIA added this to my TODO list.

Top Bottom