"One of my great-grandpas was a Neanderthal" - say bones of a prehistoric European

I'm not sure if such a suggestion is even necessary when modern humans were more numerous. At any rate if Neanderthals were for mysterious reasons less fertile or more slowly maturing, this would have to show statistically in modern humans with shown Neandertal ancestry.

In modern genomes Neanderthal ancestry is not evenly distributed, but some chromosomes and genes have more, others have less. This is due to natural selection - some traits inherited from Neanderthals were being selected for, others were being selected against. Due to this reason it is also impossible to reconstruct a 100% pure Neanderthal even if you take DNA samples from all living humans. Some parts of Neanderthal genome were eradicated in the process of natural selection, while others were promoted in cold climate of Eurasia.

BTW - speed of maturing and fertility rates are also related to things such as diet, living environment, and culture.

Or simply because modern humans were more numerous and better adapted. What's with this breeding preoccupation?

Modern humans were not better naturally adapted to Eurasian climate.

Neanderthals had been evolving in cold climate for over half a million years, while humans just arrived from much warmer environments.

Qiaomei Fu with her team and a Neanderthal skeleton: :)

That's of course to say it' Svante Pääbo's team at the Max Planck Institute. (He's the guy in the glasses standing in the middle, right behind the skeleton.):scan::)

And a conclusion such as 'modern humans have 1-4% Neanderthal ancestry' can only result from genetic research - as I remember reading about some time ago. So this latest find basically confirms earlier genetic research.

Yes. But all previously discovered prehistoric genomes were less Neanderthal than this one.

That 45,000 years old Siberian was only 2,3% Neanderthal, while this guy was up to 11% Neanderthal.

Since we're dealing with pre-agriculture groups, both Neandertals and homo groups would have been hunter-gatherers.

Yes, of course. But IIRC, Neanderthals did not have any missile weapons, while humans had them.

Which would imply humans were better adapted. (By the way, Neanderthals had no misisle weapons? So they didn't know to throw a rock?)

They didn't have throwing javelins and spear-throwers.

=============================================

It took +/- 30,000 years of coexistence before Neanderthals disappeared.

Which would imply humans were better adapted.

Not necessarily. For example, Europeans replaced Native Americas in North America.

Does it mean that Europeans were better adapted to North American ewnvironment than Native Americans ???

Rather it was because Europeans had better technology, were more numerous, and spread deadly diseases.

Not necessarily. For example, Europeans replaced Native Americas in North America.

Does it mean that Europeans were better adapted to North American ewnvironment than Native Americans ???

Rather it was because Europeans had better technology, were more numerous, and spread deadly diseases.

Better technology equates better adaptation (as with Neanderthals not having javelins). The same applies to immunity against certain diseases. But of course modern Europeans also had better organization, which again would result in being better adapted.

Initially, however, Europeans in North America were not better adapted: several colonies failed or did not prosper at all - in striking contrast with the rapid expansion of Spain in America.

Domen, I do not know where you supply your alcohol, but in my country, when bones start talking to you, it is usually a sign that you should have a lengthy talk with whoever gave you alcohol last night.

I was once pretty messed up by Bulgarian rakia. I know who to ask first!

Just looks like a short human skeleton.
This.

i have read neanders had heavy thick bones and could kick any human ass in hand to hand combat.

In other words, Native Americans were not adapted for the Europeans!

This.

i have read neanders had heavy thick bones and could kick any human ass in hand to hand combat.

Those hand to hand combats between Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals had to be rather exciting!:

BTW - a very prominent supraorbital torus, and a receding forehead, are indeed Neanderthal traits:

You Westerners, your livers are just too soft for rakia.

I need to practice some more Mithradatism in my life. Or Tolni-ism, whatever you want to call it.

Top Bottom