Optimum CAG?

molesworth

Warlord
Just wondering what kind of mix people like to deploy on their aircraft carriers. As a newcomer to Civ III I have only used CVs in the Pacific War scenario in C3C. In this scenario CVs can only carry 3 units. I have not researched far enough in other games to know if this is usually the case or not (I know I should check the Civilopedia!). Suffice to say 3 units is a bit of a dissappointment after the 8 allowed in Civ II. That being the case I wonder what people's views are on the optimum Carrier Air Group (CAG) in C3C. Personally I like 2 fighters and 1 bomber. 1 fighter for recon, 1 for air superiority, and the bomber to do the damage. Obviously CVs are more effective when 2 or more with this mix are deployed together as they can "cover each others backs" and increase their mutual survivability.

I guess one answer to my query could be to tailor CAGs to specific mission requirements. Anyway would be interested to read ideas on Carrier warfare. Thanks.

In normal Civ, carriers can carry four. Many like 1:1 ratios, but I don't.

Typically, If I'm building a fleet, it's gonna be a big one, and that means I use lots of carriers (five at least) Typically I'll have 1 carrier set up entirely for fighters on Superiority, another with four fighters for recon. The rest need nothing but bombers. Stack the carriers with a lot of other ships and the AA values add up and take some of the heat off of the fighters as well.

Yeah, makes sense.

I usually only build two or three carriers so I go with 3 bombers and 1 fighter for air defence.

In normal Civ, carriers can carry four. Many like 1:1 ratios, but I don't.

Typically, If I'm building a fleet, it's gonna be a big one, and that means I use lots of carriers (five at least) Typically I'll have 1 carrier set up entirely for fighters on Superiority, another with four fighters for recon. The rest need nothing but bombers. Stack the carriers with a lot of other ships and the AA values add up and take some of the heat off of the fighters as well.

I'm with Sweetman on that. I typically assign carrier groups, rather than individual carriers. Each carrier holds a specific type. They are guarded by AA ships, so generally they are bomber heavy, while being fighter light.

Top Bottom