Orbis - Questions and Suggestions

Ahwaric

Shrubbery-hugger
Ok, this thread is a replacement for old minor requests forum. Please post requests, both minor and major, here. Also, if you have a general question, this is the place to ask it.

Not actually a request for a feature, but a question: Does Orbis have the same issues as RifE with the ImprovementRange tag? Basically, if you start building a limited improvement, and switch midbuild, the game still considers the plot as having the limited improvement and so does not allow the improvement to be built within range of it.

Sure, you could just finish the improvement, after which progress is wiped, and THEN build a new one, but many people don't recognize that, and it's annoying anyway.

Main reason for the question: Just added code which will fix the problem. :p

In CvPlot::setImprovementType(), use the following code... Including the whole section as the first bit should be in Orbis already, so you can see where it goes. Though placement doesn't matter, so long as it's below "m_eImprovementType = eNewValue;". ;) New code in blue.

Code:
/*************************************************************************************************/
/**    Improvements Mods by Jeckel        imported by Ahwaric    20.09.09 | Valkrionn    09.24.09        **/
/*************************************************************************************************/
        if (eOldImprovement != NO_IMPROVEMENT && getImprovementOwner() != NO_PLAYER)
        {
            clearCultureControl(getImprovementOwner(), eOldImprovement, true);
        }

[COLOR=Blue]       ImprovementTypes eLoopImprovement;
        BuildTypes eBuild = NO_BUILD;

for (iI = 0; iI < GC.getNumBuildInfos(); iI++)
        {
            eBuild = (BuildTypes)iI;
            if (getBuildProgress(eBuild) > 0)
            {
                eLoopImprovement = (ImprovementTypes) GC.getBuildInfo(eBuild).getImprovement();
                if (eLoopImprovement != getImprovementType() && GC.getImprovementInfo(eLoopImprovement).getMinimumDistance() != 0)
                {
                    m_paiBuildProgress[eBuild] = 0;
                }
            }
        }[/COLOR]
/**    Improvements Mods    END                                **/

yep, that problem is present.

I've stopped automated workers from building a fort on one plot, only to find out I can't build on any of the surrounding ones.

Is there a way to remove corporations from city ? In BtS it was possible via spreading opposite corporation, so it won't work in Orbis. I know about Mercantilism civic, but I'm not sure if I want to run it ;)

Is there a way to remove corporations from city ? In BtS it was possible via spreading opposite corporation, so it won't work in Orbis. I know about Mercantilism civic, but I'm not sure if I want to run it ;)
Currently, no. I am planning to add inquisitor abilities to the banker. But as I am going to pick up Dragon Age expansion from the shop today, I am not sure I will be able to add it to patch b.
Also, I am thinking of adding a bit more guild competition to Orbis. Not sure if people would like to have it...

Any way to limit animals to certain terrains? I know LOST is popular and all but I just fought of 50(!) polar bears that invaded the jungles south of my Sidar empire. Thank the powers for partial immortality... Don't think I could have produced Rangers fast enough.

The Scorpions are an improvement from the Wyrm I think. Still, it's odd to see one trudging through the snow.

Think you could add panthers as well? Don't have to be any different from Lions. Just would like to see them in-game outside of the Rangers and Beastmasters.

A couple of things, little ones mostly. Should fit here better than in AI & Balance thread :)

1. It is possible to run recon-unit-based economy when following CoE. Maybe it's intended but I was able to run 100% :science: and still make a profit with enough units. Each of them can buy for 20 :gold: promotion that provides 2 :gold:. Even with unit maintenance, I can make a profit in 20 turns, don't even have to use those units.

2. Slaves as good civs. Now with barbarism even good civs have chance to create slaves. Maybe they should be able to set them free for +1 :happines: in city for 5 turns instead of using them to rush buildings ?

3. Agnostic civs might use unit with disciple-like ability to create little culture bombs. I know they can build disciples after building temples with priests but it's quite complicated. Maybe some Artist unit for them ? And btw, minor Grigori leader doesn't have to be Agnostic now with Agnostic civ trait. And Return of the Glaciers isn't blocked for them.

Sup guys,

I would like to see the great generals changed. The new buildings they make are a nice touch so please keep those in.

However, when you attach one to a unit..you cant remove it like in previous versions and place on another unit.

Would you still be willing to allow Great Generals to lead a band of units that stay within a certain radius of him/her?

I also noticed that Great Generals cannot be added to recon units or priests/mages. Maybe have another great person work in this place. Great Sage = Great General for Arcane units, Great Prophet for Priests. Not sure what you could use for recon units, but would be good.

To increase the number of great generals, how about having a national wonder (west point) that allows you to build great generals at a high hammer cost of course. Great Generals dont contribute to a victory condition like the prophets do. Maybe the hammer cost can increase with each active general you have.

Given that Orbis has the same CulturalControl system we use (and was the first to merge the modcomp, which I then promptly stole :p), you may be interested in this latest bit of code.

Basically, I'm in the middle of developing a new barb system, which involves their lairs putting out culture. I didn't want a new city to be able to override ancient lairs immediately, so I've set it up to place a small amount of culture in the plot each turn, based on the values set for the improvement and the plot's range from the improvement (Affects all plots within range of the improvement; Made sure to rip code from the CulturalControl functions, so it is the exact same code for the most part.). It's something people have asked for many times in the RifE forum, so I figured I'd provide the code here too if you want it. ;)

Place this below doCulture() in CvPlot::doTurn().
Spoiler :
Code:
    if (getImprovementType() != NO_IMPROVEMENT)
    {
        if (GC.getImprovementInfo(getImprovementType()).getCultureControlStrength() > 0)
        {
            if (getImprovementOwner() != NO_PLAYER)
            {
                PlayerTypes ePlayer = getImprovementOwner();
                CvPlot* pLoopPlot;
                int iPlotDistance;
                int iRange = GC.getImprovementInfo(getImprovementType()).getCultureRange();
                int iStrength = GC.getImprovementInfo(getImprovementType()).getCultureControlStrength();
                int iCenterTileBonus = GC.getImprovementInfo(getImprovementType()).getCultureCenterBonus();
                int iDX, iDY;
                int iRate = GC.getDefineINT("CULTURAL_CONTROL_CONVERSION_FACTOR");

for (iDX = -iRange; iDX <= iRange; iDX++)
                {
                    for (iDY = -iRange; iDY <= iRange; iDY++)
                    {
                        // This will make it skip the 4 corner Plots
                        if ((iRange > 1) && (iDX == iRange || iDX == -iRange) && (iDY == iRange || iDY == -iRange))
                        {
                            continue;
                        }
                        pLoopPlot = plotXY(getX_INLINE(), getY_INLINE(), iDX, iDY);
                        if (pLoopPlot != NULL)
                        {
                            iPlotDistance = (plotDistance(getX(), getY(), pLoopPlot->getX(), pLoopPlot->getY())); 
                            if (iStrength > 0)
                            {
                                pLoopPlot->changeCulture(ePlayer, (((iStrength + iCenterTileBonus) - iPlotDistance) * iRate), true);
                            }
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

The important part is this: (((iStrength + iCenterTileBonus) - iPlotDistance) * iRate). In English:

(((Improvement's Culture Control Strength + Center Tile Bonus) - Distance from Improvement) * Global Define, currently set to 5)

I used both Control Strength and Center Bonus because typically, the better the fort the higher the center bonus, and I wanted to be sure that higher level improvements would affect their full range. Without it, Citadels (in RifE, don't know about Orbis) would not affect their second ring whatsoever. As it is, they have a culture of 20 on their tile, 15 in the first tier, and 10 in the second.

To compare against City culture:

(((Culture Level of the City - Range from City) * 20 (global define)) + Culture/Turn generated in city + 1)

As you can see, the values for a fully developed city are far higher; However, for a fresh city, it will take a quite a bit of work to displace an ancient Citadel. As it should be. :goodjob:

EDIT: Updated the code, had neglected to make two checks that were rather important; That the plot had an improvement, before checking the stats of said improvement, and if it had an owner; Without an owner, you can't assign culture. :p

Do deserts next to rivers not turn into flood plains any more?

Also how do you get rid of blizzards?(I would think scorch)

I like the concept of minor leaders gaining new traits and becoming major, but I wish there would be more ways to get traits than just hope at certain techs. I don't think it should be easy get get better traits just more ways to work towards them.

Thank you!

Do deserts next to rivers not turn into flood plains any more?

Also how do you get rid of blizzards?(I would think scorch)

I like the concept of minor leaders gaining new traits and becoming major, but I wish there would be more ways to get traits than just hope at certain techs. I don't think it should be easy get get better traits just more ways to work towards them.

Thank you!

On the minor leaders: Wait for the next version of RifE, and hope Ahwaric merges the system. The entire mechanic has been redone for the better, thanks to GreyFox. ;)

for instance i have open borders and my neibourgh spamms guilds to my cities, usually reducing my income. for unwanted religions there is inquisition but for unwanted guilds? kristallnachts? :confused:

for instance i have open borders and my neibourgh spamms guilds to my cities, usually reducing my income. for unwanted religions there is inquisition but for unwanted guilds? kristallnachts? :confused:

In next patch (1.0b) Bankers (Bank of Vivaldi guild unit) will be able to remove guilds from city. But I agree another unit with ability to remove guilds might be needed.

In meantime, you can conquer his city with Guild Headquarters so you get some more benefit from this guild. You can also try to adopt maintenance reducing civics and build maintenance reducing buildings, reducing cost of this guild. Also, you can adopt Mercantilism civic, switching off foreign guilds in your cities.

Top Bottom