OSG 17a--Alkari alley

Regarding the manual, I can't post a direct link, because the site I'm thinking of does indeed host full versions of the game, hence qualifying it as a 'warez' site, I guess. Plus the manual itself is presumably copyright.

Bottom line is, there's this guy, Jon Sullivan, who has a MOO page on his site, and it includes both PDF and text versions of the manual. It also has a ton of other MOO-related documents and resources.

Very handy site. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

@ungy: Putting a few ships at the hostiles to slow down the Silicoids is a good idea (as long as it doesn't leave our new colonies vulnerable.

Dead bases will indeed advance the planetology tree. The bummer is that we haven't seen a clean up tech yet, and just look to Altair to see how much that hurts us. We may need to prioritize both planetology and construction until we secure a clean up tech. Planetary shielding would be nice, but they can wait, since we don't even have any bases built yet (it's a good idea to already have a few bases up before the shield comes in, so that your planets are defended while completing their shield--it also helps if the planets have finished all their factories).

Turn 1:

I decide to focus on computers and on weapons to better protect our many planets.. I doubt that we could hold on to another planet that early, and dead is a bit expensive, better protect it with LR Def and deny it for now.
Our opponents are very ugly.. Honorable Militarist the Humans for instance. And the Brains and Rocks allied. And no spectator wars as it is an exploit. Cheerio!

Turn 2:

Keeta is founded and I immeaditly dispatch pops to it. IT 9 pops, and I decide to forego IT 8 for Duralloy.

Turn 3:

Nothing. I decide to build 10 more PoP 1.0 to protect the two uncolonized worlds nearby. A colony ship on Morrig is beaten off by 3 fighters, gotta love the defense bonus on missiles.

Turn 4:

Altair back to full research

Turn 5:

Nuclear Engines pop, Internal Stabilizer is next, with Drives III afterwards. I up our trade agreements with all the other three by 100 BC and check tech exchanges, Hand Lasers and Terra +10 for Nuclear is not an option.;)

Turn 6:

Hand Lasers are in, Gatling Lasers, Ion Cannon and Hyper-X Rockets next. I decide on Gatling Lasers, as they are a 4xtimes punch and we don´t have too many bases anyway in the near future. Still I concentrate on Weapons.

Turn 7:

Nothing, the human fleet strength in the comparison table is absurd.

Turn 8:

Deep Space Scanner pops very early. BC III next, yay. Force Fields then, and Rockets. No early Robot Control for us it seems. And no cleanup techs. Maybe I pursue Planetology next, despite the cost, Duralloy is even more expensive.

Turn 9:

A colony ship/destroyer on Morrig is beaten off by 3 fighters, the destroyer dies. Uxmai begins to max out faster then the pop grows. 27 more research points.

Turn 10:

Morrig is reinforce with 5 PoP 1.0 finally.

Turn 11:

Council vote. The Humans get voted by everyone except us and the Psilons. Again, very, very close. Class II Shield pops, Personal Deflectors up next. Ugh.. Again a very bad choice. I focus on Weapons and Planetology

again.

Turn 12:

Uneventful. Tau Cygni maxes out. The Humans go at unease all of the sudden. Not good. I will trade nuclear engines for Hyper-V if the worst happens I guess.

Turn 13:

Another round of fun at Morrig. Gatling Laser pops. Hyper-X Rockets next. Uxmai maxes out. I decide to design PoP 2.0 fighters for greater speed and defense and Uxmai produces them, Tau Cygni on research.

Turn 14:

FaM (Fun at Morrig) the fourth, Humans this time, colony ship destroyed. Cygni maxes. On Research.

Turn 15:

I decide to get some tech reports on our enemies.

Turn 16:

Humans got nuclears, RCIII and waste cleanup techs, this will get very nasty. Plus their allies are the Rocks.

Turn 17:

No FaM anymore. Our 6 POP 1.0 are encountered by 4 Battleships, 12 Destroyers and a Colony Ship. Not suprisingly we are the last in fleet strength. Our report on the Psilons? Let me put it bluntly, you DON`T wanna know. Our research into Dead Enviroment just became useless, but is too ahead to be canceled.. 3 turns for a base in Uxmai, for now we gonna rely on POP 2.0.

Turn 18:

Toranor our northern world maxes. The Rocks are queer indeed. Terra +10 and Terra +20 and Neutron Blasters. Maybe we should get Terra +10 for our nuclear engines. The Rocks will get Nuclear or Ion from the Humans or Psilons in any case I guess.

Turn 19:

Nothing. I upgrade our trade again.

Turn 20:

Nothing, I have gathered about 50 POP 2.0 at Uxmai, where they can be dispatched to our border. Our tech choices are crap to say the least. I hope for a eco restore tech from planetology else we need to fetch duralloy, as the 50 % cleanup is killing us. And I guess we can think about trading Nuclears to the Rocks for at least something.

We need to get a cleanup tech from somewhere. I thought I quickly check ahead for our tech choices, but they are very, very bad.

Save attached. Good luck, I guess you/we will need it.

Attachments

• orion_000.png
    orion_000.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 83
  • SAVE1.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 62
Not a bad job at Morrig. You managed to delay the AIs by 14 years with just a few popguns.

On the tech choices--I would have gone for Hyper-X right away, gatlings become obsolete very quickly because they have no heavy version, and Hyper-X will help our bases. Plus Gatlings don't advance the tree, so you had to research Hyper-X anyway.

A similar situation applies to IS and Sub-lights. They are both on the same rung of the tree, so getting either one advances us, but getting both slows us down. When IS pops, I will probably skip over Sub-lights and go for a range tech.

As for PDS and Dead bases, neither of them are useless techs. PDS will come in handy when we get invaded (or do some invading), and Dead bases allows us to land troops on those Dead planets later on, plus we need to get past it to find a clean up tech.

A similar situation applies to IS and Sub-lights. They are both on the same rung of the tree,

No, nukes (TL6) and IS (TL10) are in the same rung, sublights (TL12) would have advanced the tree. The relative cost comparison is also interesting (36:100:144), so sublights are only 44% more than IS, but IS are almost 3 times as expensive than nukes.

As for the Dead bases: Another thing to consider is that any advance in planetology tech is valuable as it increases waste-free population production (0.03 bc per pop and TL). In our current situation, poping dead will be worth as much as 36 additional factories on Altair alone.

btw: does anyone know for sure whether our racial defense bonus also applies to our bases, or only to our ships?

ignatius

Thanks for the correction, I was :crazyeye:

I've got the save, but I won't be able to play until late Wed nite.

My turns were a bit of a nail-biter, but they ended up being uneventful.

First off, I got the save, and it was for 2388! 4 people x 20 years each should = 2380. Please check the date under the Races--> Status screen periodically so that you end your turns on time.

To get us back on track, I played 12 turns, ending at 2400.

I checked the status of our empire, and noticed Cygni was 2 factories short of full :smoke:

I also saw that none of our worlds had missile bases :eek:
Nor were they building any!

I corrected that post-haste, with Uxmai, Cygni, and Toranor all going all out on bases. I turned off ship building with Uxmai, I don't think that more Pop 2 are going to be that useful. The Psilons and Humans at least will be fielding ships immune to lasers very soon.

2389) I notice that the Psilons have a hefty fleet at Hyboria, so I try to shop for NAPs. No dice from the Humans or Brains, but the Rocks agree (the Toxic Collassa is 12 parsecs from their nearest colony). Even if they end up getting Collassa, we need some friends, both in case of attack, and for the council. I also trade the Rocks for IT10 to boost our population and economy.

2390) Dead pops, Spores or IT30. I go for IT30 and advancing the tree. GNN reports Pirates in the Mentar system. We start terraforming.

2391) Uxmai and Cygni finish 1st base, and commit to terraforming and factories. I will spend the next several turns juggling the pop and factories sliders to build our economy. As planets finish, I put them to building bases, or split between tech and bases if they have one already.

2397) No movement from the Psilon fleet yet, though they have added Huges (doubtless with ARS). The Humans also have a decent fleet at Morrig. Hyper-X pops, making our bases a bit more useful, and I move the tech sliders to emphasize construction (for Duralloy, and hopefully RW60 on the next rung). Propulsion is also moving along, and we might be able to trade IS to the Rocks or Humans for RW80. Neither of them is willing to part with anything useful for Hyper-X. I had the choice of Ion Cannon (doesn't advance tree) or Ion Rifle. I eventually went with Ion Rifle. I know that the Cannons work well on fighters, but we've already done Hand Lasers and Gats from the same rung, and I didn't want to slow us down too much getting to better weapons (we're already behind in tech). With Scat5 and Merc missiles both missing from our tree, we need to advance toward Stingers.

2400) Election: Humans 6, Klacks side with them for 1 more.
Psilons and Rocks abstain with 3 each, as do we, with 6 votes (one shy of a lockout). Looks like the NAP with the Rocks is paying off (as they sided with the Humans in previous elections).

Post-turn: I cannot believe that no war has broken out yet :confused:

Perhaps the Psilon fleet at Hyboria is their main one (bad sign since that could mean it's meant for us). The Human fleet at Morrig is definitely not their major one. I fully expected that the Klacks would have been destroyed, or war would have broken out somewhere by now. Maybe having both the Psilons and Humans as Honorable is part of the reason.

I would really love to get those two races into a hot war. Having their fleets sit at the edge of our space is disconcerting.

We REALLY need a clean-up tech. Hopefully RW60 will be in our tree, because En Eco was not there after Dead bases (meaning we need to advance the tree twice to see if Adv Eco is there). Also, if we can parlay IS into RW80 or better yet Imp Eco (if RW60 is in the tree), that would help greatly.

Roster:
Olorin <-- just played
ignatius <-- UP NOW
ungy <-- on deck
Archduke

Remember, we are doing 10 year turns from now on.

Attachments

• SAVE4.2400.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 63
I forgot to mention that I tried a couple of times to get either the Humans or Psilons to sign NAP with no success. ignatius, you may want to try it in a few turns (though those Pirates in Mentar will make the trade agreements less effective).

Also, I will be on a field trip from Sunday to Friday (the 11th), so if it gets back around to me, go ahead and skip me. I'll be in Hawaii for my volcanology class, and we're going to be busy hiking all over the volcano.

Good luck next week!

I am not sure if 1-2 bases will protect us and it costs building them everywhere.

But if we do we should try to aim for cleanup techs and some decent rockets soon. Good luck, ignatius!

Aren't we basically at the stage where if we are attacked our only hope is the sheilds on our bases? We won't have enough bases or strong missiles for a while, seems like we need FF tech in a hurry.

New round of audiences, Humans sign NAP, no cleanup tech. Will ask Humans again if IS pops.

• Pirates at Mentar are eliminated.
  • Silicoids are now allied with Klackons and Psilons.
  • Every planet now has 2 bases (upkeep 4.3%), defense spending stopped except for Toranor and Keeta, which are the only planets in Psilon range.

I design a throw-away scanner ship, as we need to know what's in those ships at Hyboria.

• IS pops, sublights next
  • Psilons no longer allied with the Silicoids, but with the Klackons instead
  • Humans trade Enh. Eco for IS!
  • Psilons are willing to offer PS-V and even BC-IV (a level 15 tech) for enh. eco, but I decline for the moment (was hoping for robotics, as I hope to get PS-V from the coids), but they agree to a NAP! (so the scanner ship will have to be scrapped, oh well ...)
  • No PS-V from the Coid's, so I will try again later.

duralloy pops, I choose ARS over battle suits

• still no PS-V from the Coids.
  • I chose not to contact the other AIs to leave the decision to the next player.

Remarks:

An uneventful turn, mostly consolidation. We have NAPs with all races - in hindsight I'm not sure if getting a NAP with the Psilons was the right choice as Toxic Collassa is still unsettled. Except for the Coid/Ant alliance, there are no alliances between the AIs ATM. If we are lucky, a diplo win in 2425 might be within reach.

The next player should probably try to get the most from our trading opportunities and improve our economy to get competitive again (we are last in production). BC-IV is much value for enh. eco (esp. as the Psilons have impr. eco and IW60) and might allow us to go directly to RC-IV (if it is in our tree). The Coids will probably trade us PS-V once they have advanced their FF tech.

Roster:

Olorin
ignatius <-- just played
ungy <-- UP NOW
Archduke <-- on deck

Good luck emperor ungy!

ignatius

We might want to make the trade with the Brains for BC4. I think that would put us ahead of the Rocks in computer tech, and then we could try to steal PS5 and other goodies from them.

I think I'd be inclined to trade for BC4, then gamble we can get PSV from the rocks soon in trade. I think it's a little risky to spy now--we have a chance to win a vote and a war would obviously be trouble. Plan to get a tech update. Basically hope we don't get attacked. Put a little more into planet--since we're running peaceful get T30 quicker. I'll try and play tonight.

OK here we go:
2410 start spying to get a tech refresher. Trade enhanced eco to psi for BC4
increase planet somewhat

2411 humans want bc4 but won't trade anything great for it. I pass on ion cannon, shield 3.

2412 BC3 pops we have imp scanner, rc4, bc5, ec4. Choose RC4 of course.
Humans, psi warn us about spreading too far. All relations drop to neutral.

2413 ...

2414 PDS pops, we get ps5 (only).
psi cancel NA and go to wary. Rocks are relaxed. Rocks will give neutron blaster but not ps5 for is, I pass.

2415 IT 30 in IT 40 only choice.
PSILONS DOW! This is trouble.
They are allied with sili and human. At this point I'm going to pause since I'm not sure what is exploitive in terms of asking sili or hum to DOW them. If that is acceptable it seems certainly worth trying. Since they are all allied now we could have (bigger) trouble very quickly. I'm happy to play 5 more turns but I'd love to hear suggestions. The psilon death fleet is at hyboria.
Human death fleet is at Morrig.

I'm not familiar with the abbr. DOW. If it's short for declare war, then it would not at all be exploitive to ask the Humans and Silicoids to declare on them (as we are already at war with Psilons).

The exploit we want to avoid is getting the Humans to attack the Psilons while remaining at peace with both, or worse, asking the Psilons to attack the Humans, and then attacking the Psilons.

If the Psilons go to war with us, and we don't manage to get the other races on our side, this game could go downhill fast.

--As a reminder, I'll be gone this week (I can't realistically play turns until next Sunday, so exercise a skip if needed).

As we are in a real war with the Psilons ourself, we definetly don&#180;t enter spectator wars.

If we don&#180;t get the Humans or the Rocks onto dowing the Pslions, we are dead I guess.;)

If we don´t get the Humans or the Rocks onto dowing the Pslions, we are dead I guess.

The situation is maybe not as hopeless as it looks yet. Unless they got new range tech, only two of our smaller planets are actually in range. If we can force them to destroy & resettle, we will buy some time and might be able to turn it into a spud.

Time is really all we need - 20 turns more and with PS5 and RC4 we will be able to launch a counterattack. The really bad luck is that IT30 popped just before the war declaration, so we didn't go right for spores (not sure if they were in the list, though - but maybe we can trade them). They have only 3 planets and their SoD can't be anywhere at once ...

ignatius

The really bad luck is that IT30 popped just before the war declaration, so we didn't go right for spores (not sure if they were in the list, though - but maybe we can trade them). They have only 3 planets and their SoD can't be anywhere at once ...
spores were in the tree.

Top Bottom